The Note 8's Face Recognition Can't Be Fooled With A Photo

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-note-8-3679-040-jpg.77849

Last week a video claiming that the Note 8's Facial Recognition can be fooled with a picture started making the rounds on twitter. So far the video tweet has nearly 4,000 retweets. The guy in the video uses a photo to unlock a Note 8 on display in what looks like a big box store, possibly Best Buy. It turns out devices on Display at retailers are put into a specific retail mode which allows for easy demo of features. It is designed to prevent people from maliciously locking the device with their own fingerprint or face making the demo unit unusable for other shoppers.

The guys over at SamMobile tried replicating all steps outlined in the twitter video and could not get the Note 8 to unlock with a photo. The Note 8 displays an alert saying a face can't be detected. For now it seems the Note 8 can't be tricked with a photo.

via SamMobile

Attachments

• galaxy-note-8-3679-040.jpg
    galaxy-note-8-3679-040.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 2,112

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
the only thingI setup for security so far is the pin and the fingerprint. I think will give the facial recognition a try this weekend. I just wonder if it will work when I get up in the mornings.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm hoping the facial recognition will be much more convenient than the fingerprint scanner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ayanav

Banned
Reaction score
1000$ for a phone that at the end of a year will be outdated in features and especially will be replaced by the note 9 ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
galaxy s9 galaxy s8

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
every phone you buy will be outdated in months. it is something you have to grin and bear. I learned a long time ago with computers that after buying one to quit looking at ads and prices. there will always be something better at a cheaper price and I did not want to see it too soon after getting one.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1000$ for a phone that at the end of a year will be outdated in features and especially will be replaced by the note 9 ...
Yeah but if you wait until Jan or Feb it will be cheaper but then you have to decide whether you want to buy that then or wait a few months for the S9+. Waiting will mean you are still paying top price for a phone but it's the latest and greatest for a few months.

It's a decision consumers are faced with every time they place their item for purchase on the register.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I'm waiting a few months. My note 4 is still running strong. Battery is wearing down, but can replace that pretty cheaply. Phone is paid off and just pay $3/month for extended warranty, so if phone goes down, can replace it at no cost.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I'm waiting a few months. My note 4 is still running strong. Battery is wearing down, but can replace that pretty cheaply. Phone is paid off and just pay $3/month for extended warranty, so if phone goes down, can replace it at no cost.

did you read the fine print that says gotcha :p