The next big phone, gotta have it...

yoopermjm

Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty funny article and applies to all of us who are constantly looking for the next big thing (myself included). Truth is, you can't buy anything computer related without it becoming "obsolete" within months if not weeks.

washingtonpost.com

Personally, I think my droid will last me through the two year contract even when the next big thing comes along as long as I remember the cardinal rule:
Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty funny article and applies to all of us who are constantly looking for the next big thing (myself included). Truth is, you can't buy anything computer related without it becoming "obsolete" within months if not weeks.

washingtonpost.com

Personally, I think my droid will last me through the two year contract even when the next big thing comes along as long as I remember the cardinal rule:

The Droid is great but personally I have never had a phone last for the length of a two-year contract. NOT because I want something new but just because the phones don't last.... and IME the more 'high tech' the phone the less it lasts. But that's me.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
For me, there is an enormous difference between the Droid and every phone I've owned before: the app store. This phone gets to continually upgrade with all the hot new apps. I will wish I had the hot new phone, but I am absolutely confident I can make it two years with this one.

broosewee

Reaction score
I think the Droid will keep a lot of people happy for 2 years including me, but progress is super fast in tech. Take the Nexus for example; 2 months out and the Droid's power is already surpassed. In 2 years I don't even want to know what the hot new gadgets can do compared to my phone or else I'll go broke upgrading every few months! :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the Droid will keep a lot of people happy for 2 years including me, but progress is super fast in tech. Take the Nexus for example; 2 months out and the Droid's power is already surpassed. In 2 years I don't even want to know what the hot new gadgets can do compared to my phone or else I'll go broke upgrading every few months! :)

Maybe it's just me, but the Nexus didn't really impress me. Looks to... iPhone(y) I prefer the unique look of the Droid. And I don't care how nice the phone is T-Mobile and AT&T suck (I just came from AT&T) so why have a nice phone if you can't use it (ask many iPhone users). And if you get into cooked ROMs you'll be surprised how long a phone can last. I had an older Tilt from AT&T and with the proper ROM is would run just as fast as my new Tilt2 with the stock ROM. So the Droid will be able to 'keep up' for a while.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Some people will jump ship for the nexus, then when the "Droid 2" (just exaggerating) comes out they will be like "awww man I should have waited" etc..its an endless cycle. I upgrade every year so I dont worry about it. My phones then typically get handed down to my wife or kids.

broosewee

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but the Nexus didn't really impress me. Looks to... iPhone(y) I prefer the unique look of the Droid. And I don't care how nice the phone is T-Mobile and AT&T suck (I just came from AT&T) so why have a nice phone if you can't use it (ask many iPhone users). And if you get into cooked ROMs you'll be surprised how long a phone can last. I had an older Tilt from AT&T and with the proper ROM is would run just as fast as my new Tilt2 with the stock ROM. So the Droid will be able to 'keep up' for a while.

The Nexus doesn't impress me either, in fact it solidifies my choice for the Droid. Sharper looks, physical keyboard, bigger screen... it all adds up to an impressive package. The Nexus one however does boast a few nice upgrades like cpu and screen technology which can't be ignored. For sure however, the Droid is and will be safe for a while.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
big_headed_tiny_dog_chasing_tail_md.gif

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
We talk about how the Droid has been surpassed in power, mem, etc.

That doesn't negate everything the Droid IS.

My point is that with apps, and OS updates, it is certain that it can last your two year contract easily.

The only way you can get depresed about it is if you compare to the latest and greatist, and so far at this juncture there is no major reason to worry, the Droid can do everything that the N1 can, or will.

Can't wait for Android 3.7 SP3! :icon_ devil:

coolkidd

Reaction score
....The Nexus one however does boast a few nice upgrades like cpu and screen technology which can't be ignored. For sure however, the Droid is and will be safe for a while.

This is the main reason I would only think of upgrading my Droid.:)

asmallchild

Reaction score
I'm starting to upgrade every 10-12 months myself. The tech is improving so quickly. I was late to the smartphone game and the BB Storm was my 1st one.

Oh what a leap from the Storm to the Droid.

Thus far, I don't see anything that would make me want to upgrade (for full price anyway). I'll wait 10-12 months to reeval.

The Nexus is sweet but I really do like the option of having the physical keyboard (even if it isn't a perfect one)

The Pre seems like old news now since it came out nearly a year ago for Sprint.

Maybe an upgrade iPhone on VZW could prompt me to change in 10-12 months again?

Either way, I know I'm not lasting the 2 years on my contract on this phone (as amazing as the Droid is) :)

mjs31

Reaction score

washingtonpost.com

Where in the UP are you from? I grew up in Houghton.