The New YotaPhone 2 With Dual Displays, One E-Paper and One In Full Color!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Surely they have a refresh rate setting for the ink display on the phone. That, and once the newness wears off the battery life should stabilize since it isn't always being messed with. Battery life on any phone is well below standards when it is first received simply because we tend to abuse the phone. Hopefully this will be the case for new Yota 2 owners.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I do tend to agree to some extent however the amount and detail of information on the e-ink screen is far greater than the active displays.

Sure, because it's such a horrendously painstaking effort to drag my finger across the screen to unlock my phone ;) Slap a bigger battery in the phone and have a lock-screen with the info always on. Problem solved.

Personally, I think it's kind of dumb to see something that needs my attention on the e-ink screen and have to flip it over and unlock it. Poor implementation of a good idea. Active display could easily accomplish the same with a wave of the hand if Moto so chose (or at least opened it up to developers).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sure, because it's such a horrendously painstaking effort to drag my finger across the screen to unlock my phone ;) Slap a bigger battery in the phone and have a lock-screen with the info always on. Problem solved.

Personally, I think it's kind of dumb to see something that needs my attention on the e-ink screen and have to flip it over and unlock it. Poor implementation of a good idea. Active display could easily accomplish the same with a wave of the hand if Moto so chose (or at least opened it up to developers).

And your response is exactly why two heads (or a few hundred-thousand), are better than one. I wouldn't have given that a thought but I'm sure it would eventually sink in that it was an extra step (*flip over and search).

As for your possible solutions, again - great ideas. Why do we only get to see a tiny notice, when the screen could display an "e-ink" style page of information with perhaps nearly as low a power consumption. Great idea and I would second this as a possible update to the Active Display function which is already a great feature but this enhancement would take it over the top. ;)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why do we only get to see a tiny notice, when the screen could display an "e-ink" style page of information with perhaps nearly as low a power consumption. Great idea and I would second this as a possible update to the Active Display function which is already a great feature but this enhancement would take it over the top. ;)

They could go a step further leaving it as is with the current display, but the "reach for" feature could show the expanded version. The phone certainly has the ram to be capable of handling this. Time, weather, next 2 meetings and last 4 messages = winner.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Didn't Sony come out with a similar dual screen phone a couple years ago that didn't do too well? Granted both screens were color on the Sony, but I would think if this "style" phone were to appeal to ANYONE, they'd want both screens color, as opposed to one color and one "ink".
Thoughts?

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Didn't Sony come out with a similar dual screen phone a couple years ago that didn't do too well? Granted both screens were color on the Sony, but I would think if this "style" phone were to appeal to ANYONE, they'd want both screens color, as opposed to one color and one "ink".
Thoughts?

S5 tap'n

I think they had some sort of fold-out or clamshell type deal. I like the concept of the clamshell, but they had it reversed - needs to be on the outside so you can use like a regular phone, but then "unfolding" it to a larger device with double the screen size (IMO, that's the future of phablets in some shape or form).

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly, put a bigger battery in it! This is just the opposite end of stupid as the 2k/4k displays. This is like a car company throwing in a bicycle and saying the model gets better gas mileage.

You'd have me interested if you could somehow layer this over the 1080p display (just an alternate way of doing the same thing as Moto is heading).

I think when the novelty wears off you go back to relying on the RGB led notification to check your full feature display.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good point Kodiak!
While not a device I'd buy, I DO think it's an interesting concept and it's great to see manufacturers offering something "different".

S5 tap'n