The Google Drive Q&A Thread

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already seen it, Google Drive is now live, and the app is live in the Play Store as well.

Here's the official announcement with some explanation: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/introducing-google-drive-yes-really.html

Thought I'd start a thread for comments/questions/answers/etc. as a lot of us will likely try this.

I've just touched the surface, but I'm already frustrated by the fact that any gdocs that sync to my computer are simply links to the same gdocs online (haven't messed with "offline access" yet, as that's always been buggy in the past), and that apparently any Office Docs, at least the Excel spreadsheets I've tried so far, aren't editable online. Though I guess that's not too different from other services...

Looks to have a lot of promise, especially with the integration potential.

So feel free to post what you love/hate about it, or any questions or observations.

Last edited:

Escobar

Reaction score
It says my Google Drive isn't ready and that I'll get an email when it is. Why isn't it "ready"?

Sent from my HTC REZOUND using DroidForums

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
phone or web? could still be rolling out I guess...

Escobar

Reaction score
Phone, I have the app, but it says not ready.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND using DroidForums

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You might have to "sign up" and get started online first.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Thanks for posting this. I gotta crawl out from under my rock more. 1st I heard of this.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

sharpz

Reaction score
My Google Drive is not yet ready either. I wonder how long this will take for us.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
weird - did y'all ever use Docs before? I didn't use it often, but I've been a docs "user" since pretty much the beginning of it...

sharpz

Reaction score
Yep, I've used Google Docs a lot. Not sure why mine is not available. They might be slowly rolling it out to their users I'm guessing.

mikelbeck

Reaction score
I've got it installed on 2 computers and my Bionic. I was using DropBox before but wanted a Google branded app instead... I was hoping that it would have tighter integration with Android but that doesn't look like that's the case. One of the things I liked about DropBox was the ability to automatically upload photos, that doesn't seem to exist in GDrive. At least not yet, hopefully they'll put that in an update soon.

It is fast and easy to use, but doesn't work from my work computer - it's most likely blocked by the corporate firewall. I had the same issue with DropBox though so that's not a big deal. When I disconnect from the corporate network and connect to my home network it syncs right away, the same as DropBox did.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the things I liked about DropBox was the ability to automatically upload photos, that doesn't seem to exist in GDrive. At least not yet, hopefully they'll put that in an update soon.

They did seem to hint that it had more coming. And also, G+ does this already - so maybe they're thinking that feature is "covered"? Who knows...

mikelbeck

Reaction score
They did seem to hint that it had more coming. And also, G+ does this already - so maybe they're thinking that feature is "covered"? Who knows...

Yeah, I know it's in G+ and I used to use that but wasn't all that happy with it so I closed my G+ account. I guess I could re-open it just for the automatic upload if it doesn't show up in GDrive anytime soon.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's in G+ and I used to use that but wasn't all that happy with it so I closed my G+ account. I guess I could re-open it just for the automatic upload if it doesn't show up in GDrive anytime soon.

don't do it... that's what they WANT you to do! ;)

I've closed/opened my G+ account a couple of times b/c I simply never use it... they might have a lot of users, but the amount of time people spend there is minimal compared to others... but that's for another thread.

mikelbeck

Reaction score
don't do it... that's what they WANT you to do! ;)

I've closed/opened my G+ account a couple of times b/c I simply never use it... they might have a lot of users, but the amount of time people spend there is minimal compared to others... but that's for another thread.

Same here.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use g+ but at a minimum (not much of a social app person). Still the integration google is pulling off is both awesome and scary. They had an ad for google + at the theater . I think the feature I like about g+ is I can upload important photos to the cloud so if i lose them from my phone I can still access them (which I actually did lose some important photos and was relieved when i saw them in the cloud).

[video=youtube;8aCYZ3gXfy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aCYZ3gXfy8[/video]

^This ad brought to you buy the letter "G".