the camera sucks!

mjmesserli

Reaction score
Ok, I'm royally embarrassed. I was at the airport with a friend today to send off some friends to Guatemala. We took photos of the group, me on my droid x and he on his iphone 4.

I could not get a photo in focus for anything. I tried 3 shots. He took one photo of the group to help me out. PERFECT!

Now, here's the rub. I'm a professional photographer. And it made me mad that this great 8 meg. camera can't take a photo in focus.

Ok, now comes the education, right? But trust me...I did it all and was embarrassed by the iphone 4.

Bitter? A little. Embarrassed? A lot.

OP
M

mjmesserli

Reaction score
The camera sucks

Ok, I'm royally embarrassed. I was at the airport with a friend today to send off some friends to Guatemala. We took photos of the group, me on my droid x and he on his iphone 4.

I could not get a photo in focus for anything. I tried 3 shots. He took one photo of the group to help me out. PERFECT!

Now, here's the rub. I'm a professional photographer. And it made me mad that this great 8 meg. camera can't take a photo in focus.

Ok, now comes the education, right? But trust me...I did it all and was embarrassed by the iphone 4.

Bitter? A little. Embarrassed? A lot.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
You're gonna get a lot of apologists, but as much as I love the heck out of my Droid, there's no doubt in my mind that its camera lags way behind even compared to other phones.

iresq

Reaction score

As a professional photog, you should know that pixel count means nothing for picture quality (unless you are printing large format).

In every review I have read comparing the x to the i, the i wins every time for its still camera. The i even lets you select the focus area on the touchscreen.

Just the way it is.

richpjr

Reaction score
So get an iPhone and you won't have to worry about it. Or better yet, use one of your good cameras.

OP
M

mjmesserli

Reaction score
Rich,

I hope you're kidding. I bought the droid in part because of the 8 meg camera....and then to find the camera is a joke! I'm not going to switch to AT&T for any reason, so I'm stuck with the droid for now, but very disappointed.

dan j

Reaction score

As a professional photog, you should know that pixel count means nothing for picture quality (unless you are printing large format).

In every review I have read comparing the x to the i, the i wins every time for its still camera. The i even lets you select the focus area on the touchscreen.

Just the way it is.
That's exactly right. Pixel count is HIGHLY over-rated. I love how folks compare their cell phone camera to a high end DSLR or how they have HD video that's as good as studio cameras or the 5D2. It's great to have a camera and video in a cell though.

richpjr

Reaction score
Yeah, I was just messing with you. The thing is, it's not a great 8 megapixel camera. The focus on the thing is very poor.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
there are better mp3 players than the droid
there are better video cameras
there are better still cameras
there are better PDA's
there are better gps's

but find one product that can do all of it... it's the economic tradeoff. I gladly sacrifice a little in all the products for the simple fact that I don' thave to carry 6 seperate products with me everywhere I go.

OP
M

mjmesserli

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm not confused by the pixel count. That's not the issue. The camera simply isn't able to focus or take photos in low light. It's just not a good camera at all....that's my disappointment.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
A camera on a phone is a useful tool when you don't have a camera on you.

I don't count on mine for anything.

The video is pretty impressive though.

Bateluer

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm not confused by the pixel count. That's not the issue. The camera simply isn't able to focus or take photos in low light. It's just not a good camera at all....that's my disappointment.

Common problem with the Moto Droid phones, it seems. The Droid 1's camera isn't really good, especially at the phone's launch. Various ROMs and camera apps have improved it substantially though.

As an aside though, you'll actually be able to email/upload the pictures you took, you iPhone 4 owning friend won't. :p

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Perhaps you could have tried the low light setting with automatic flash, what settings did you use?