The Advantages of Rooting

Thrade

Reaction score
I was wondering how I would go about rooting my phone, and what the advantages to doing so are. I'd also like to know how to apply this GB update I downloaded as a ZIP file.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
I was wondering how I would go about rooting my phone, and what the advantages to doing so are. I'd also like to know how to apply this GB update I downloaded as a ZIP file.

Well - no custom roms ... yet.

Biggest advantages: more control of your device ... better system resource management and better power management via a few apps that are only available for rooted users.

My favorite root apps:
-SetCPU: allows you to scale or scale down your device processor; create user profiles (i.e. throttling your device down when the screen is off and thus extending your battery life)

-AutoKiller Memory Optimizer: generally speaking, most people really don't need a task manager, but AutoKiller allows you to tweak the android system memory manager

-Titanium BackUp: allows you to backup and restore your device. allows you to "freeze" unnecessary or unwanted apps (i freeze rather than restore so i can easily return to stock), and thus free additional resources

-Bootstrap Recovery: installs Clockwork Recovery which allows to access a custom recover mode... this allows you to do a complete system backup and install custom update.zip files

-Root Explorer: powerful file explorer that allows you to access the entire android file system; including data folders (not typically visible). I don't use this that often, but its invaluable for certain functions

There are others, but that the world according to John.

If you want to root your pro, download the Team BlackHat app and download the 2 appropriate files. Note, you must be running rooted froyo (easily accomplished with z4root, aroot or other) and have Bootstrap Recovery installed.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
First, how to root your phone and the advantages: Since you're not using Gingerbread you can root your phone with aroot or superoneclick. Both require you connect your phone to your computer via the usb cable that came with your phone and run the downloaded aroot or superoneclick. If you update to Gingerbread there is a pre-rooted update that you can use to update to a rooted version of Gingerbread...get the update and app from TeamBlackHat (TBH). There is a thread in this forum with addtional information and how to. If you update to Gingerbread by not using the prerooted update then you cannot root Gingerbread at this time.

Advantages...it depends on what you want to do...and if you understand what you're doing. Root could be "good" if you understand how, roots limitations and what to do and what not to do. Otherwise you can create a lot of problems for yourself. I'd recommend researching "root" before doing it. There's a lot of information in this forum and other places.

Here is how to update to the 'not rooted" Gingerbread:
1. Open the update file you downloaded
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file "update.zip"
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to "apply update.zip"
12. Let it work its magic...it will take about 10 minutes. Then, reboot when it prompts you too do so at the conclusion of the update process. When you phone reboots it will reboot into Gingerbread.

rocket_girl

Reaction score
jpcalhoun ~ thanks for the step-by-step. Worked perfectly!

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

You're welcome. But, I can't take credit...another great forum member did that for us.

jwgraves

Reaction score
My single greatest advantage to rooting my PRO:

turning off the dreaded "drrrrroooid" sound when the phone is turned on!

jwgraves

Reaction score
My single greatest advantage to rooting my PRO:

turning off the dreaded "drrrrroooid" sound when the phone is turned on!

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner! :icon_ lala:
You know, I don't dread it so much now that the phone isn't randomly rebooting...usually at the least desired times.

Very true! I don't think I've "randomly" rebooted since upgrading to GB. My one last desire after rooting is to somehow stop the two vibrates when the phone is powered down.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner! :icon_ lala:
You know, I don't dread it so much now that the phone isn't randomly rebooting...usually at the least desired times.

Very true! I don't thin I've "randomly" rebooted since upgrading to GB. My one last desire after rooting it to somehow stop the two vibrates when the phone is powered down.
I know what you mean. Mine hasn't rebooted once (that I know of) since the update.

rocket_girl

Reaction score

You're welcome. But, I can't take credit...another great forum member did that for us.

Thanks to the forum, then! This is the first time I've been brave enough to try such a thing (rooting is not for me). Prior posts about what to do and how GB works persuaded me to dive in. Really loving Gingerbread...most of all,no more magnified circle-thingy for navigating while typing. Much easier to navigate and edit (yes, I came from Blackberry. Typing is a very big deal for me...) thanks, all!