That guy from Virginia

beergnome

Reaction score
hey there everybody!

I'm just a brewer from Virgina trying to fix my phone at the moment. Yall look very helpful, freindly and have some nice tutorials.

I got a gen one right now, and something odd happened when I decided to do a clean wipe to factory. it was running slow and buggy, leave me alone!

right now, all my google updates are crashing on install. and I want my maps back!

but anyways...
that's me

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the community there is a huge support group on the OG droid. I know someone will read this that is more knowledgeable than me on the OG droid but you might want to just try another data wipe? I believe you can download google maps as an app and pretty sure you can get .zip file with g-maps in it. Keep up the brewing (we are running short of small time brewers). Enjoy the stay

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
From Danville, VA myself! :)
How did you do the reset?

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
B

beergnome

Reaction score
Welcome to the community there is a huge support group on the OG droid. I know someone will read this that is more knowledgeable than me on the OG droid but you might want to just try another data wipe? I believe you can download google maps as an app and pretty sure you can get .zip file with g-maps in it. Keep up the brewing (we are running short of small time brewers). Enjoy the stay

thanks for saying so!

pretty much anything google is dumping on me for a market download and install. I managed to delete the Gmaps .apx to try to go from there.. cleared all market data.

still.. it downloads, then dumps on install.

OP
B

beergnome

Reaction score

DroidForums Junkie!!

I did the factory reset via the recovery screen, power+x

after going through that, I then installed the latest 2.2.1 update I could find as the phone was still rooted, then all my troubles began.

not to mention, now I gotta beat angry birds again!

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you also wipe the cache?

DroidForums Junkie!!

I did the factory reset via the recovery screen, power+x

after going through that, I then installed the latest 2.2.1 update I could find as the phone was still rooted, then all my troubles began.

not to mention, now I gotta beat angry birds again!

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
B

beergnome

Reaction score
thank you for all kind words, and hints folks, Ive been wrestling with this for the past two days now.
I'm afraid I just inacted the...

final solution

as absolutly NOTHING was working! In fact, I was starting to make it worse!!!

I unrooted, and have allowed the OTA update to come on line, she's rebooting now. I backed up everything that would let me back up to the SD of course.. hopefully my angry bird levels are still there :D

well.. it updated to 2.1 at least...
the market is working!
and 2.2 just came up and is installing

YAY!

well.. why this is all going on, some other things Ive messed around with.
like stated, I make beer, for a living, I work for Legend brewing company Out of Richmond Virginia. we are the oldest, and largest Craft brewery in Virginia.
pretty much everyone in the house is using some flavor of android phone now, mostly becasue of me *smug*
all my computers and laptops run Ubuntu, with the exception of one older laptop that duel boots with XP because the Micro controller programing software is a little more.. user freindly.
I ruined a perfectly good hobby of homebrewing by going pro, so now I indulge in Radio controlled boats and light robotics.
I'm a 6'6" 300 pound red head with a two foot long beard.
essentially, if you ever wanted to know what a viking looks like, well.. that would be me.

AHH! here we go! back to 2,2!

and it needs to update again.. presumably to 2.2.1

as we continue... some of the fun things with the giant beard is that I'm also a semi profesional santa impersonator, and other seasonal costumes that lend itself to beardom. mostly me and the beard go bar hopping as santa.. quite fun really..

rebooting again.. and I THINK that's it!

it isn't....

okay folks, I'm sure Ive bored ya enough with my ramblings.
stay out of trouble!, or, y'know.. don't get caught

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
LOL SO CUTE this story! ok I def like that brewery subject LOL. well I hardly drink nowadays and I miss it. glad ur having a hell of a time with ur phone.

Swyped with an Aloha from Hawaii

OP
B

beergnome

Reaction score
Yes ma'am, it can get amusing aroud here.the brewery.. yeah. Todays fun time was a brewery field trip to the big AB plant. Good lord, they make more beer in an hour than we make in a year! We went into one round room and I realised I was standing inside the base of a fermentation tank, looking up at the conical made me think I was looking up at the mothership!
One of the biggest reasons I needed to get maps back last night was for the navigator to get to the place.

Unrooting was the only course of action after trying everything under the sun to fix it. But I'm back to normal now, besides superuser permisions of course. Need to find a good custom rom so I don't cripple the poor thing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From Colonial Heights myself
So do you do any of the stuff Sgt Santa used to do at Christmas?
Glad you got your phone working again

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

OP
B

beergnome

Reaction score
From Colonial Heights myself
So do you do any of the stuff Sgt Santa used to do at Christmas?
Glad you got your phone working again

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Oh man, nobody can replace sgt santa, that was a great loss to the community.

Actually, I'm trying to develop santa peege into a figure head to collect and donate scool supplies and educational classroom kits for math, science, and engineering.

Last week I gave a dead keg from the grave yard to the robotics team of one of the local high schools. The theme for this years compition is recycling and found materials. So, hopefully they'll be able to turn it into Kegbot 5000 and have a good time.

Unfortunatly, the brewery can't officially support them. Being we make beer and they're a bunch of teenagers.
But if santa peege can be a shell company....

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
wow ok. must always be on happy hour too huh? LOL jk
but hey glad ur phone is and running. but check other sections for custom ROMs. never know what may suit ur need. good luck

Swyped with an Aloha from Hawaii