text msg question.

goldsquare

Reaction score
Ok I'm using my DX and loving it. just wanna know if theres an app that I can use to txt with and not pay for unlimited txt with verizon. just a thought because I haven't found sh1t this phone can't do yet. Yes this is my 1st Droid too.

Humpa

Reaction score
Use email or an IM program if you want unlimited messaging. Those are unlimited already. There is no way to use a carrier's SMS system without them knowing you are using their SMS system.

psand

Reaction score
there us an app called textplus which claims free texting .... but I'm not sure how it works. The website suggests you can text anyone even if they don't use textplus and that they can text you. You might want to check it out and see if it does what you want.

Humpa

Reaction score
Yeah, a service could do it. You can set up an SMS service and have some sort of gateway to send sms to the various carriers. I'm not sure how it works, but some sort of database must be used to determine what carriers control what numbers, and what numbers are mobile numbers to start with. But with access to an SMS provider, they could set you up with a way to send your text thru them via the internet, and then they would use the number you provided and attmept to send that message via their SMS connection. They would use a special return address/number that would go back through them and they would send you the contents in an email or through their app.

I didn't realize anyone would do that for free though. And of course the people you send txt's to will receive them as normal texts. And if they send to your actual phone number, you would be charged just like a normal text. You'd have to use the special number or whatever that textplus gives you.

All in all, IM or email is the way to go if you ask me.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
When you send an IM, isn't that considering sending a text to VZW? When I used an IM program on my devour, it always warned me that significant charges could occur without a texting plan... so I assumed that it was like sending a text, only using the IM program... I could be very wrong though, and it didnt matter to me anyway as I had the unlimited texting plan already. Would be interesting to know though.

Humpa

Reaction score
When you send an IM, isn't that considering sending a text to VZW? When I used an IM program on my devour, it always warned me that significant charges could occur without a texting plan... so I assumed that it was like sending a text, only using the IM program... I could be very wrong though, and it didnt matter to me anyway as I had the unlimited texting plan already. Would be interesting to know though.
A text message use the SMS protocol and is a different animal.
An IM on a smartphone is using nothing but data. Just like an email or webmail or whatever.

Perhaps you are thinking of an SMS app, like Handcent or ChompSMS? SMS is texting, so those are texting apps and standard texting rates apply.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
An IM on a smartphone is using nothing but data. Just like an email or webmail or whatever.

Perhaps you are thinking of an SMS app, like Handcent or ChompSMS? SMS is texting, so those are texting apps and standard texting rates apply.

I was thinking of when I loaded up Yahoo messenger on my Devour and would IM my mom through yahoo messenger, that's when the little warning pop up would occur. Just confused me apparently :) dancedroid

Humpa

Reaction score

I was thinking of when I loaded up Yahoo messenger on my Devour and would IM my mom through yahoo messenger, that's when the little warning pop up would occur. Just confused me apparently :) dancedroid
If it was just a normal Yahoo messenger IM, perhaps it was a warning about data usage and not text usage?