Text Messaging Vibrate Will Not Work

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The same EXACT thing happened to me, and I took it in to the verizon store. They replaced the phone, and it still didn't vibrate. An hour or so later, the new droid started vibrating. The tech there didn't know what is going on, and I sure as heck don't know what is going on. But if I were you, i'd try to start safe mode, if it doesn't vibrate in safe mode, take it in. If they can't fix it at the verizon store, they will replace it and hopefully after a little bit your new droid will work fine like mine.

safe mode?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/4420-safe-mode-booting.html

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
so i was starting it in the "safe mode" and it would do the droid animation and then show the eye..then go black for a few seconds and then restart the droid animation and so on.. is that normal?

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
Is there anything I should save to my SD card before I reset it?

Reaction score
I have this same issue. I figured it was a bug with Android and didn't think much of it since I rarely use the vibrate function. I haven't tested it since the 2.0.1 update, but if most people are saying it's fine for them, it makes me worry a bit. If you end up doing a hard reset, please post results.

Reaction score
Ok, so doing a quick google search, it seems that there are lots of people with this issue. Before you go and wipe, it may be worth calling VZW or stopping by a store.

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
OK. So last night I went to the Verizon store. (After waiting an hour and a half) I talked to a tech support lady there. They couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. So they ended up giving me a new phone. Works now.

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
actually had to go back again and get it replaced again because there was something wrong with the headphone jack. it moved around so much that it would like loose connection and turn the music off. other then that everything is working great now.

laterr

Reaction score
Same issue here with Handcent not working on vibrate. It was working before but stopped working after one of the updates. I hope it's a software issue becuase I really don't want to replace my phone.

kestrel55

Reaction score
SOLUTION - download VOLUME CONTROL from the market. You will notice that there is a vibration on/off for the Ringer Volume and a separate one for the Notification Volume. If your text is not vibrating, it is because your Notification Vibration has been turned off. Turn it back on...you will be fine.

laterr

Reaction score
I just checked the market and there were 3 listed as "volume control." I guess I could just try out all 3 but I'm curious as to which one you are using?

Reaction score
SOLUTION - download VOLUME CONTROL from the market. You will notice that there is a vibration on/off for the Ringer Volume and a separate one for the Notification Volume. If your text is not vibrating, it is because your Notification Vibration has been turned off. Turn it back on...you will be fine.

I had the no vibrate issue, and I made absolutely sure that notification vibration was turned on. That was also the first thing that the woman at the Verizon store checked. In the end, the Verizon store couldn't figure it out either and they mailed me a new phone. The vibrate on text receive works perfectly as long as notification vibrate is turned on. Seems like it's just a bug with some phones. My old phone was a 42/09, and the new one is a 48/09 in case anybody finds that useful.

*edit* Ah, but I see your solution was for laterr's issue, and that should work. He should also just be able to go into messaging, then menu -> settings to turn on vibration notification, no?

kestrel55

Reaction score
My vibrate notification was also turned on in Handcent and incoming textes did not vibrate. I downloaded "Volume Control" before this problems first occured. I think I may have inadvertantly turned off the Notifitication vibration in this app which caused my problem.

Strange but there is only one main vibration control in the main droid settings. In the app, Ringer vibration and Notfication vibration are controlled separately.

laterr

Reaction score
I really wish this was "user error" on my part but I made sure the vibrate when notified on both handcent and the stock messaging app were both checked. I thought that they may even somehow cancel each other out so I tried each one just by itself but still no luck. I definitely agree that I shouldn't need another app just to get my phone to vibrate for texts but I really don't want to bother with getting another phone.

On a side note I did find an app called "Smart Vibrator" which does work well for me. One cool thing about it is that you can customize the way it vibrates. I don't know what the app "volume control" that Kestrel recommended does yet but I'll try it out to see which one I prefer more. But for those of you that want options "Smart Vibrator" is doing exactly what I need.