Text Messaging Vibrate Will Not Work

veggiedave

Reaction score
I've gone through this phone so many times and i cant figure out why my phone will not vibrate for notifications. I've gone into messaging and checked the "vibrate" selection, im pretty sure everything is set correctly but still nothing. It will vibrate when i have an incoming call. But that's it. I have no idea what to do now. Please help!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
are you using Handcent or the stock messaging? ( I use Handcent)
I had a similar problem... my texts wouldn't vibrate. I had the setting for vibrate as "only when volume set to vibrate" and it never vibrated with an incoming text. I switched the setting to "always" and I haven't had the issue since. And when on silent the incoming texts don't vibrate! Win Win!

Silver Member
Reaction score
default messaging app:

messaging (main page)
menu - settings
notifications - CHECKED
ringtone - (anything)
vibrate - CHECKED

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
default messaging app:

messaging (main page)
menu - settings
notifications - CHECKED
ringtone - (anything)
vibrate - CHECKED

Yeah thats how mine is set up.

Silver Member
Reaction score
are you sure your phone is not set to silent? vibrate is turned off when the phone is on silent.

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
so i installed the handcent sms and it still will not vibrate with that. what gives?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd try a battery pull first. If it still doesn't work after that, I would try a hard reset.

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
i did a battery pull and nothing different..what is a hard reset?

Silverwing

Reaction score
The same EXACT thing happened to me, and I took it in to the verizon store. They replaced the phone, and it still didn't vibrate. An hour or so later, the new droid started vibrating. The tech there didn't know what is going on, and I sure as heck don't know what is going on. But if I were you, i'd try to start safe mode, if it doesn't vibrate in safe mode, take it in. If they can't fix it at the verizon store, they will replace it and hopefully after a little bit your new droid will work fine like mine.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it works in safe mode, it is most likely related to a third party app that you have downloaded. Safe mode only opens the stock apps on the Droid, so that is a good place to start before wiping it clean.

OP
veggiedave

veggiedave

Reaction score
The same EXACT thing happened to me, and I took it in to the verizon store. They replaced the phone, and it still didn't vibrate. An hour or so later, the new droid started vibrating. The tech there didn't know what is going on, and I sure as heck don't know what is going on. But if I were you, i'd try to start safe mode, if it doesn't vibrate in safe mode, take it in. If they can't fix it at the verizon store, they will replace it and hopefully after a little bit your new droid will work fine like mine.

safe mode?