Text message smileys

SocalMike

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but is there a way to get the colorful faces instead of symbols to make a happy face etc thx

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
This probably belongs in the App section. What text app are you using?

OP
S

SocalMike

Reaction score
No text app just stock that came with phone

Joker

Reaction score
In the stock messaging app if you hit the menu button there should be an option to insert smileys which are little android representations of each emotion. Or you could type them in in the same fashion. The problem is that it is only visible to users of android OS. Meaning only ppl using android platform that receive them from you could view them, others I think only get the symbols.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I do not know that answer so lets move your thread to the apps section.

Mike

OP
S

SocalMike

Reaction score
Thx for the reply its no biggie just wondering thx again

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but is there a way to get the colorful faces instead of symbols to make a happy face etc thx
When sending or receiving? You'd probably need to use a different messaging app. The faces are sent as the text symbols. It's the app that interprets them as colorful faces.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Does anyone know how or if there is a way to get smileys button to appear once the Handcent App is installed? I miss not having the smiley button at the bottom right corner of the keyboard. now it is replaced with the enter button from email.
thanks

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone know how or if there is a way to get smileys button to appear once the Handcent App is installed? I miss not having the smiley button at the bottom right corner of the keyboard. now it is replaced with the enter button from email.
thanks
Menu > Smiley. I dont believe there is a default option to put the shortcut on your keyboard.

emjay

Reaction score
It sounds like what you want is emoji. I have that on my iTouch but there is no android equivalent unfortunately.

Elizxa

Reaction score
Smileys are used frequently to add emotion to the text we write today. Making a colon with a capital D: D makes a big smile to emphasis how we feel about the subject we are expressing. Semicolons are used for a wink; and left parentheses for a frown (or right parentheses for a smile).
The difference between emoticons and smileys is that emoticons are not made of text symbols but are instead little pictures that express emotions. You can find them at smiley Central.
Thanks to the use of text messaging on cell phones, instant messaging (IM) and message boards the use of smileys and emoticons for informal written communications has soared.
It is rare to find a youth that is not well versed in the meaning and use of smileys and emoticons on the internet and in messaging today. The youth were the first to use them and spread their popularity.
While the early use of smileys expressed only happiness and sadness, the variety of symbols has increased to now be able to show disbelief, anger, surprise and playfulness as well.
Emoticons are used more by females than males which may be attributed to females being more adept at using them and possibly to females being more in tune with the nuances of expressing emotions in text.
Obvious benefits of using emoticons is shorter messages to convey intimate text messages although some criticize their use as being detrimental to having depth in human communications.
Use of emoticons has hit a plateau as all the smiley text combinations have been discovered. The future or more nuanced symbols lies in message forums that have longer text messages with new symbols required to display the range of emotions expressed.

emjay

Reaction score
Beware of Smiley Central...possible virus or trojan site.

awwpickle

Reaction score
There isn't a smile button? You can go into your message settings and change the enter key into a smiley key. If you type just ; ) it wont show the emoticon. There has to be a dash in between. : - ) just without the spaces.

Phyredawg

Reaction score
How do I get rid of smiley face? I would rather have the key that allows me to go to the next line. The face is only on the email keyboard. The text messaging has the proper key in the lower right hand corner. How do I change keyboards?
Thx in advance

d_cooper28

Reaction score
I have an incredible. Is there someway to get rid of these robot thingys and get regular smileys? Thanks