Text message alert?

morsecode191

Reaction score
Hey everybody, this is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not, but I hope so. Also if it's an obvious answer, I'm sorry. I just got my Droid Incredible today and have yet to begun my deep exploration of the phone.

But right off the bat, I've noticed a huge difference in the text messaging between the Incredible and the other phones I've had. With other phones when you receive a new text, the whole screen turns into a notification, but on the Incredible, it only makes a noise and put the message icon at the top. Now, call me dumb or unaware, but I'm gonna keep forgetting to look for the icon just in case I don't hear/feel my phone. Is there a way to get a more apparant "new message" alert? Thanks!

Reaction score
Look for handcent for a complete sms replacement with popups, otherwise search the market for "sms popup" for standalone popups. Welcome to the Droid family.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
Welcome to the family, I my self like many others am using handcent sms, you can pretty much do anything with it. Once you download it if u want u can download fonts it even has online backup...any questions please feel free to ask anyone...once again welcome to the forums.

Sent from my DROID X using DroidForums App

OP
M

morsecode191

Reaction score
Ahh thanks guys! First for the welcomes, and second for the handcent sms suggestion. Just downloaded and I'm liking it so far. Thanks again!

OP
M

morsecode191

Reaction score
I actually have some questions now concerning handcent lol. I definitely like it over the regular "messages" approach, but now whenever I get a message, both programs send me updates.

Is there a way to get rid of the original messages thing or replace it completely with handcent? If not, can other handcent users possibly describe their texting set-up to me so maybe I can make my texting a little easier? lol Thanks everybody.

Reaction score
If you are getting duplicate notifications, you need to go back into the stock app, hit menu and settings and go to notifications to turn them off.

Personally, I love the ability to customize the vibration pattern for people and change the background, no accidental texting things to the wife lol

OP
M

morsecode191

Reaction score
If you are getting duplicate notifications, you need to go back into the stock app, hit menu and settings and go to notifications to turn them off.

Personally, I love the ability to customize the vibration pattern for people and change the background, no accidental texting things to the wife lol

Thanks alot! I did as you said and it works just the way I want it to.

tigerdango

Reaction score
Lmao seriously? People want to customize a MESSAGING app? Come on. It's for messaging. That's what customizing your phone is for? D= Lol.

Reaction score
Lol but the ability to customized your text message experience is part of the ability whole "customize your phone concept"

Additionally, I use Handcent on my DroidX because of the timestamp issue (sms time stamp fix wasn't working for me.)

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab

tigerdango

Reaction score
Ha nice. I guess I just don't see customizing a SMS app all that important. I love customizing my home screens though and making my phone unique from other ones. =3

chaz.ring

Reaction score
Ha nice. I guess I just don't see customizing a SMS app all that important. I love customizing my home screens though and making my phone unique from other ones. =3

lol... With the stock one you can't even view an media mess and its audio at the same time... So stock is a huge fail, considering its texting capabilities are less than an dumb phones.

Sent from my incredible using slideit on tapatalk