text and MMS

Toyotaguy82

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a stock RAZR M and is on 4.1.2. He is on the phone with me and in 4G service sends out a group message with just a short group of numbers within this message. The message won't go through unless he disconnects the call with me and then it goes through. Some times he even send them out individually and they may not go through. They have replaced his phone and sim card. Even had him do a reset. It still doesn't work. Any ideas on what the issue is or a fix? He is at work when it happens so its always the same location and vital it works since its a work related message.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Mine will mess up on group messages like that but it's pretty much always when WiFi is on. Once I switch it off, the messages will go thru.

OP
T

Toyotaguy82

Reaction score
I know he has two bars of 4G when it happens but it should still go through at that point unless there is a major lag when it tried to switch between 3G & 4G. I don't think he has WiFi turned on since they do have it but he isn't allowed to use it since its for work use only.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
CDMA phones don't do simultaneous voice and data - it's either one or the other. As far as I know, newer 4G chipsets like the one in the Razr M have the potential to do it, but it's turned off. Probably because of battery drain issues.

This would explain why your friend can't send group messages while he's on the phone with you - group messages use MMS, which runs off data.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
But you can do internet while on the phone. Or is that somehow different.

Sometimes mine will make the switch over to data with the WiFi on(what I described above) to send a text and sometimes it won't.