Tethering to laptop problem getting log-in screens

dck696

Reaction score
I tried to post this, and did something wrong.

I am new to androids. I live in the country with only dial up, so when I got my Fascinate my son hooked me up with tethering, and on my laptop it is so wonderful! BUT!

When I get to websites where I have a sign-on code, or where I have fields to fill in, I get the Microsoft "cannot connect" info. Example: When I go to on-line banking, it will go to the initial screen really fast. But the area wher I signin gives me a portion of the "cannon connect" screen. Also, I tried to order a case for my new phone, and all went well until I went to "checkout", and the same thing happened. I feel it is a security issue, but I don't know if there is some setting I need to make that I don't understand.

Can anyone tell me what I can do? And please be kind, I'm old and have no technical knowledge!! Thank you so much!:)

jerkules

Reaction score
What program are you using to tether to the internet? If you use the free version of PDA-net, it won't connect you to secure websites. Only the paid version of that app will do that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
D

dck696

Reaction score
It was a free version my son put on it, he uses it on his Motorola Droid. He has said, however, that he can't get email using this tether version. It's not PDA.net though, becuase the clerk at BestBuy suggested getting it from there, and my son had never heard of it.

Could it be some sort of settings? Thanks--

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid and I tether it to my Mac Book Pro on a regular basis. I've not tried to access my bank while tethered so I can not make any comments.

Not sure if it will make a difference but try Barnacle. It is a free app in the Market.

If you install Barnacle, let us know if you are able to connect to your banks site.

Mike

OP
D

dck696

Reaction score
I loaded Barnacle on my Fascinate, does it need to be on my laptop as well? I'm so stupid to all of this stuff; my son goes to Vanderbilt and thinks I'm so old fashioned--so he didn't explain anything he did to get tether on my phone as well as my laptop.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I apologize! Before I replied, I went into the Market. I have not realized that to use Barnacle your phone had to be rooted. Sorry!

OP
D

dck696

Reaction score
what does it mean to be "rooted"?