Test apps on phone with NO plan

doogle

Reaction score
I do not have a droid or any other type of "smart phone". I use my pre-paid Tracfone like once or twice a week.

However, I do have a BSCS, very comfortable with Java and want to start developing apps for the droid market. I realize there's a droid phone simulator with the sdk, but afaik the simulator won't allow me to test apps that require users to touch the screen, or take pictures, or gps, etc. etc. (if this assumption is wrong then please enlighten me).

I don't want to pay $50-$100 a month for plans/services I won't use. I just want a droid phone to test my apps on. I have wi-fi at home if that helps.

If anyone knows how to make this happen, please let me know.

p.s. If this question has previously been answered then please send me in that direction. I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant.

LaxzBro

Reaction score
Droid Xs full without a contract retail for about 600$

Lax bro, closet geek

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can load your app on the phone without service with WiFi, I have a test Droid 1 that has no service but is rooted with a custom ROM :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
D

doogle

Reaction score
You can load your app on the phone without service with WiFi, I have a test Droid 1 that has no service but is rooted with a custom ROM :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

Yeah, I think you're on the right track. But is using a custom ROM necessary? (nothing against ROMS I just don't know much about it yet).

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

DroidForums Junkie!!

Yeah, I think you're on the right track. But is using a custom ROM necessary? (nothing against ROMS I just don't know much about it yet).

No rom needed. Imagine a droid without a data plan like an ipod touch versus an iphone

tappin and a talkin