Tech Explosion! Several Big Launches Coming Next Week

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel like no one has really raised the bar - basically all the watches have the same specs as last year (and from the few rumors I've seen, that will hold true for the 360-2). A few are really good looking watches, but haven't seen much in the way of added features or tech (aside from Google updating Android Wear).

I'm looking to pull the trigger on one, mainly for fitness but related to that I'm interested in using it to unlock my door with bluetooth so I can leave the keys at home.
I'd like to see more standalone capability so you could leave your keys AND phone at home. No I don't mean phone calls, LTE radios with data plans but you have a perfect example. Suppose you accidentally lock your keys and phone in the house or automobile? Beam a Bluetooth signal from your watch and voila, you're in. Safely leave your keys and phone in your locker at the gym using your Bluetooth lock. There was a thread about a start up project of Bluetooth locks on the forum last year/early this year so the tech is out there.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
. There was a thread about a start up project of Bluetooth locks on the forum last year/early this year so the tech is out there.

I haven't looked into a gym lock, but there are at least a couple of decent bluetooth deadbolts out there (and you only replace the turn mechanism, not the bolt/lock itself). I believe they should work with smartwatches, but Google and the OEMs have done some goofy things such that the smartwatches don't always do everything they are theoretically capable of.

grrouchie

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what Moto brings to the table this time around. I spent a lot of time with their devices before switching to Samsung and I'm thinking I might need to revisit my old friend next time around.
I was all moto once I started on smartphones.
Then I,switched to the Samsung Galaxy S4 because all the motos didn't impress me at the time and I wanted my SD slot.
Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
Note5 or s6 edge plus ate in the running. G4 is in the running.
I'd like moto to impress me again and bring me back to the droid family.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Totally forgot about this.

So far I have my mind made up on the z4v as my next device (hopefully that's out soon), but Moto could sway me....

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nobody else excited for Windows 10 but me? :oops:
I kinda am, as long as the one or two programs (yes, I still call them that) that I use on my personal machine still work. Haven't had a chance to try the main one out on my beta machine yet.

The transition at work will be much slower, and that's where I do the majority of my PC work. For the most part, at home, I'm on my phone or tablet.

Once I verify that the web-building software I use works on 10 (it should, but it can be janky anyway), I'll be all-in at home.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I updated from XP to 7 this year . It was kicking and screaming and only because my old machine died.
In a nutshell. No. I'm still trying to figure out how to print a friggin picture on the new(er) machine. I'm not wanting to start all over again.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The jump from 7 to 10 is considerably less of a "shock." 10 is a straight upgrade instead of a completely clean install situation.

Google it. There are articles on The Verge and elsewhere where they didn't even backup before upgrading and personal settings and things remained intact.

You've only got a year to upgrade for free. ;)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am.

Got it all set to go on my laptop, but I admit I don't use my laptop for much. It'd make for a great trial device should I decide to switch to 10 on my main PC.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Windows 10 will probably be a headache for me simply because I use Windows for my gaming OS. Hopefully the drivers won't be missing for too long.

Then, I still have to figure out if the drivers supplied through Apple's Bootcamp will be ready as well.

I'm looking forward to it either way.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The jump from 7 to 10 is considerably less of a "shock." 10 is a straight upgrade instead of a completely clean install situation.

Google it. There are articles on The Verge and elsewhere where they didn't even backup before upgrading and personal settings and things remained intact.

You've only got a year to upgrade for free. ;)
I signed up long ago where it's going to push to my desktop on its own if I'm understanding correctly. I've got some icon in my tray that stays there looking for the update so it can accept it. Again, if I'm understanding the communication I got from MS.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I signed up long ago where it's going to push to my desktop on its own if I'm understanding correctly. I've got some icon in my tray that stays there looking for the update so it can accept it. Again, if I'm understanding the communication I got from MS.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Yeah. Basically, it should download in the background when it's ready and then alert you and ask you if/when you'd like to install it.

Still won't hurt to backup important files before installing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Basically, it should download in the background when it's ready and then alert you and ask you if/when you'd like to install it.

Still won't hurt to backup important files before installing.
I already put important stuff of a separate hard drive AND back it up to the cloud AND put it on CD/dvd AND a flash drive. I lost a crap load of memories from irreplaceable photos being zapped in a crash years ago when my daughter went to a legit site looking for tickets to the Nutcracker that'd been hacked in its Flash area. The Richmond Ballet website had been turned into a host for a nasty virus that even a ghost write of the system didn't stop from taking everything back over. It was embedded in the ghost write so it came right back and the only way was a total wipe and redo with the os cd. I lost all the digital photos of my older kids when they were little except those still on a phone somewhere.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4