Hot Smartphones Coming in Last Half of 2015

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oneplus-two-fan-render.png

We thought we would indulge in some random speculation to see what you guys are excited for later this year. Earlier in the year we posted a poll with a similar theme, but now we have a few devices that are more concrete than before.

Also, our previous list only included Android smartphones, so this smaller list changes things up a bit. This one isn't a poll, but please let us know what you think of any of these upcoming 2015 devices (in no particular order):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 5
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
  • Google/LG Nexus 5 (next-gen)
  • Google/Huawei Nexus 6 (next-gen)
  • Oppo Find 9
  • Xiaomi Mi5
  • Sony Xperia Z5
  • OnePlus Two
  • Moto X (3rd Gen)
  • Motorola Droid ?
  • iPhone 6s and iPhone 6S Plus (included for the sake of being inclusive)
  • Microsoft Lumia 940 and 940 XL (same thing as above)
  • Other...
Of course, we might have missed some rumored devices, so feel free to share whatever smartphone you wish.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow.. Hard to believe we're already 5 months into this year.. Ugh.. I wonder how tainted the new droids will be.. With the turbo having its "issues".. Ya know who's probably madder than the turbo crew??" the droid Maxx crew..

PBarn

Reaction score
None of these get me excited.
None of these make me want to drop my two-and-a-half year-old Razr Maxx HD. It's awful on battery compared to what it was. It performs much slower than what it did. It no longer receives updates from Verizon, despite simple problems that could be fixed. And it never received root support.
Yet no phone on this list screams, "You must own me."

Maybe I'm jaded. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong things in smart phones. But I want something that wows me.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
other and note 5 are the 2 I am interested in.

I usually look forward to the latest nexus but if it is not Motorola I'm going to pass as far as nexus is concerned. This could change though.

When it is all said and done the nexus 6 could be the one device that I keep and use for 2 years.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto X 3rd Gen?!? How could you leave that off?
You are absolutely right! What's really strange is that when I first compiled the list I included Moto phones. I thought I had added them, but must have overlooked it. The OP has been updated and the problem corrected. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Note 5 for me. I currently have a Note 3, skipped the Note 4 because I don't see much difference, and am waiting for the Note 5. Hoping for some major upgrades. Guess I'll see later in the year.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
In order:
  1. Microsoft Lumia 940XL
  2. Motorola Droid
  3. Moto X gEN 3
Lumia 940XL because I love where Windows 10 is heading and from what I'm seeing of MSFT's low end handsets, it should be a great peace of hardware.

Motorola Droid because...well if I need to explain this one, there's something wrong :D

Moto X Gen 3 because the X has always delivered the goods in regards to software/hardware. Solid performer since it's first inception.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I've been thinking about Lenovo and the Motorola thing. What I'm really interested in is what direction Motorola will go in. Now that Lenovo owns them it'll be just like when Google purchased Motorola. We'll have to wait until the legacy growth track runs it's course over the next 3 generations of devices before we see a true "Lenovo" developed Motorola phone.

Also the OnePlus Two has sparked my interest. I really liked their device, fortunately I didn't' have to wait for the One and I may have a way to get the next device without playing games. They piqued my interest with a leak said that they have something fairly radical and "shocking" cooked up on the hardware side.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about Lenovo and the Motorola thing. What I'm really interested in is what direction Motorola will go in. Now that Lenovo owns them it'll be just like when Google purchased Motorola. We'll have to wait until the legacy growth track runs it's course over the next 3 generations of devices before we see a true "Lenovo" developed Motorola phone.

Also the OnePlus Two has sparked my interest. I really liked their device, fortunately I didn't' have to wait for the One and I may have a way to get the next device without playing games. They piqued my interest with a leak said that they have something fairly radical and "shocking" cooked up on the hardware side.

I'm not sure this will matter much. Many of the same folks that worked for Motorola under Google are still there under Lenovo. Will it change? Probably, but not enough to be profound.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Some good choices.. interested to see if Note 5 will follow the S6 non removable battery /SD card... Nexus always especially LG has killed it with previous.. and rooting for the new comer Huawei.... iPhone 6s will finally bump up to 12mp camera..

Tapped by NexusSix

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can almost live w/oa removable battery but I can't live w/o expandable memory. Why should I have to pay extra for a cloud service or a phone that has more memory when I should just be able to swap micro sd cards?