Tapatalk Issue?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Has anyone else seen these buttons show up today (and change) on the bottom of some threads. Is this just an issue with the Tapatalk app? They don't seem to show up on every thread.
tapatalk screen.png

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well that's different. I don't use Tapatalk much during the day, so I can't say that I've seen it. Almost looks like a botched ad insert...?

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...Almost looks like a botched ad insert...?

That's what I was thinking. But they don't list who the ad is for, like others I have seen. And I am not about to click one just to see where it takes me. No thanks. I like Tapatalk a lot, it's a great app. But I'm not crazy about some of the new updates and some of these new "ads". I might find an older version apk and install that.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I must've purchased something that got me access to Tapatalk without ads at some point, because I don't get ads in it. Wasn't even aware that it had ads, but I do remember having paid for the tablet version or something somewhere along the line, before I took an extended vacation from the forum.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I must've purchased something that got me access to Tapatalk without ads at some point, because I don't get ads in it. Wasn't even aware that it had ads, but I do remember having paid for the tablet version or something somewhere along the line, before I took an extended vacation from the forum.

I don't mind a few ads, I understand they need to make money. But they are becoming annoying at times. Two weeks ago, when you would open some threads the app would take you to a whole page "Localytes" ad and you couldn't close it. Just had to hit Home and then close the app and re-open.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bit of a history lesson to explain things.
There used to be tapatalk. It was paid. Then they upgraded it to Tapatalk 2.Then they made a tablet version that was paid also. Then they did an update to the original that made it work on tablets also at full rendering. Those that paid for the tablet version went ballistic. The developers made all tablet payers "vip members", giving them free themes and stuff. Then they merged the different versions into 1 and called it Tapatalk 4. Then they made the original version (TT2) free with ads but kept the legacy (TT4) for those that had paid for both the TT2 and TT4 (originally the tablet version). Then they merged TT2 free and TT4 into 1 freebie with ads. The payers went nuts again so they decided to make TT4 owners vip members and remove their ads. I didn't even write any of how this affected ios users, an even bigger fiasco.
You can request to be a vip member on their forum and follow the continuing circus of how not to do things.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the info @mountainbikermark. I guess it's safe to say that installing an older apk is still going to have the ads? Like I said before, I don't mind ads that are at the top / bottom of a screen and display what they are for. They have to make $ some way. I don't like their new style of things popping into the middle of a post while I am trying to reply with only buttons labeled "Play" "Install Now" etc, and no way of knowing where you will end up if you accidentally click one.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info @mountainbikermark. I guess it's safe to say that installing an older apk is still going to have the ads? Like I said before, I don't mind ads that are at the top / bottom of a screen and display what they are for. They have to make $ some way. I don't like their new style of things popping into the middle of a post while I am trying to reply with only buttons labeled "Play" "Install Now" etc, and no way of knowing where you will end up if you accidentally click one.
If you've got an old TT2 apk it doesn't have ads.
I left out, at one point they had an experiment With TT2 where individual forums could also insert their own ads and they split the revenue between the forum and the TT developer. This forum, and all FF sister sites, opted out right away from that one.
I'm sending you a pm .
I don't mind ads so much either but loathe pop up ones or ones that on apps I paid to remove them they put them anyway at some point down the road.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Update: I sent an e-mail to the Tapatalk folks last night and have had three replies already. They asked if I had screenshots, which I do, so I sent those. After that, they replied that those type of ads are not allowed in their app and said they would do their best to remove them. Then another member asked what City & Zip Code I was in when this happened so they can further narrow down the culprit. Maybe that's why not everyone sees the same ads all the time? They seem like they genuinely want to help make their app a pleasant user experience.

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
Well I like Tapatalk too...yes its ads....they must make add free ,other wise it will make it more annoying for users

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Update: I sent an e-mail to the Tapatalk folks last night and have had three replies already. They asked if I had screenshots, which I do, so I sent those. After that, they replied that those type of ads are not allowed in their app and said they would do their best to remove them. Then another member asked what City & Zip Code I was in when this happened so they can further narrow down the culprit. Maybe that's why not everyone sees the same ads all the time? They seem like they genuinely want to help make their app a pleasant user experience.
They want to get paid for the companies who embed ads. Hijacked ads don't bring them any revenue.

I have the paid version so I never see them.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
They want to get paid for the companies who embed ads. Hijacked ads don't bring them any revenue.

I have the paid version so I never see them.
True, very true. Like i said yesterday, I don't mind the ads that are clearly an ad and stay at the top or bottom of the page. There is one for Chevy trucks on the bottom of my Tapa screen right now. But I know what it is and don't want a new truck so I will not click it. But random "PLAY" buttons floating around the screen is not cool. And I'm sure you are correct, they are probably not paying supporters, so the Tapa folks don't want them invading their app.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aaaaand here we'll go again. If they're that desperate for revenues make another app besides TT or add on paid themes ability again, something besides the nonsense they've been doing since 2010.
I'll say it again,I really wish there were an alternative to Tapatalk that would catch on with forums.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Aaaaand here we'll go again. If they're that desperate for revenues make another app besides TT or add on paid themes ability again, something besides the nonsense they've been doing since 2010.
I'll say it again,I really wish there were an alternative to Tapatalk that would catch on with forums.

I'm with you on that one. I'm not saying the app is perfect, there are a few issues. I was just glad that they responded quickly and seem to care. That's better than no response or "go fly a kite" response. I also asked if they could add a pay to remove ads feature in the future. Haven't heard back on that request yet & don't really expect to, but it never hurts to ask. I would gladly pay a few bucks to have an ad-free app in a future update.