T9 Dialing

ragnoir

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today an I love it. Installed Touchdown and everything is working almost exactly how I want it.

My only gripe is I use this for work and have hundreds of contacts, on my WinMo phone I could dial by name on the dial pad to easily and quickly dial a contact. I looked in the marketplace and the only apps listed say they are not compatible with 2.0

Does anyone know of an app or a built-in way to make this happen?

corrado_driver

Reaction score
I'm completely with you on this I love that in WM6

I also have 780+ contacts and would like to be able to do this

corrado_driver

Reaction score
Motorola Droid Forum (Phone Scoop)

just found this
"does anyone know how to use T9 dialing on this droid? the HTC Eris works great if I want to call mike I can dial 645 and any contact with that combination comes up. I've tried superdial and easy dial pro but the digits are smaller in those 2 apps which make them harder to use."

I just installed both that he says but I would like something that builds right in

OP
R

ragnoir

Reaction score
I think I found something that will work even better..Voice Dialing. I had a thought maybe the reason they don't put in T9 is because it's the old way of doing it and Voice Dialing works better.

I made a shortcut so I'm going to try this out and see if this works, and maybe then T9 dialing will become just a bad habit from an outdated smartphone :)

coondogg97

Reaction score
I had the same issue getting adjusted to the Droid. I created a few folders on my home screen with direct dial contacts in them (family folder, work folder, etc). All I have to do is open the folder and click the contact to connect. For the hundreds of other contacts that I don't call as often, I just hit the search button (magnifying glass) on the phone and start typing in a name.

HTH

Shel

Reaction score
I think I found something that will work even better..Voice Dialing. I had a thought maybe the reason they don't put in T9 is because it's the old way of doing it and Voice Dialing works better.

I made a shortcut so I'm going to try this out and see if this works, and maybe then T9 dialing will become just a bad habit from an outdated smartphone :)

Not sure what you mean when you say "I made a shortcut..."

You do realize that long pressing on the magnifying glass icon on the phone will bring up a voice search box with a mic, and speaking "Call Mike Jones" will dial Mike Jones?

OP
R

ragnoir

Reaction score
No I didn't know that, I thought that was for searching the phone.

Thanks for the tip.