****swype****

Mongoose

Reaction score
@jsh1120...Interesting observation. Thanks. What I'm understanding is that if the cursor jumped to a different line of text, the message came out garbled. I think in my case it also seemed to happen when, during my proofreading, I would go back and make a correction. This was by no means 100% consistent...just often enough that it drew my attention.

I would use swype in an instant if I knew it was going to be reliable. I love the way it works...but I need accuracy more than speed and fun factor. Darn...lol.

I may give it a try again one of these days, especially if someone could pin down whats causing the garbled text. :icon_ devil:

Raeuber

Reaction score
I just installed it and I love it already. This is the coolest. I can't believe how accurate it is.
I noticed though that you can't swear with it. :)

Also, what do you think of the warning at install. That all data that is typed, may be collected. Am I the only one with a tinfoil hat on here?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
maybe swype was designed for people who could only use one finger pecking on the keyboards of their laptops? :D
Interesting theory. However, I type very well with both hands on full keyboards. The virtual keyboards -- and even the physical keyboard -- on the Droid, however, are nothing like "real" keyboards to me and I prefer Swype for the Droid. Swype is really designed for virtual screens without any regard for a particular user's history with other input methods IMO.

If you can touch type with both hands (and I mean all fingers) on the Droid I'd love to see a video. :D

You must not have done below then, if you did, you would be in love.
Not everything appeals to everyone -- Swype included. I don't understand why people don't get this. Just because you find something useful doesn't mean that everyone else will and vice-versa.

Used Swype for about a month and got rid of it. I hated to do it but I found that it garbles longer text messages (MMS) and email. It's great if all you send is one liners...but when dealing with a banker or broker...stay away...or confirm everything.
I've never had such issues with Swype and I type out long email with it. Again, it's a YMMV thing.

Also, what do you think of the warning at install. That all data that is typed, may be collected. Am I the only one with a tinfoil hat on here?
It's not so much tinfoil as misinterpreting the warning.

You'll get that warning with ANY keyboard app. Android warns you because there is the potential for the app to collect info that you type. Keep in mind though, that Swype does not access any form of communication. You can verify this because there aren't any such warnings on the same waring screen at install. If Swype does collect info maliciously, how is it going to transmit that info?

Shel

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make myself sound superior or anything like that, but I'm a trained typist, which means I type without looking, I'm not a hunt and pick guy and I use the home keys.

Hookbill
Not trying to sell you on this, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work!

However, I'm also a touch typist, and what I found with swype is, just like it takes time to "learn" where the keys are, when you touch type, to get to the point where you aren't THINKING... where's the s key, where's the w key.... you just KNOW where it is, and your fingers almost go there without thinking, the same is true with Swype.

It takes a little while to simply KNOW where the letters are, so that your finger, in this case, just GOES to where the F key is, or where the W key is, and swypes over it!

It really is an amazing program! As someone else said, sometimes I open up the note pad program I use, just to play around with Swype.

Once you start to get familiar with where the letters are (being your finger often covers them up if you're looking for them), you'll be amazed at how fast you can enter text with this program!

Again, to each his own, but it might be worth your while to play around with it.

good luck!

deputc26

Reaction score
I tried swype and wasn't a fan, that was more than a month ago though and it was a pre-beta copy so maybe it got better...

funken

Reaction score
Tried it, really wanted to like it, but I type with two hands, not one finger and I just couldn't get use to holding it in portrait mode. Found it totally unreliable for finding the correct words, I think I tried to spell "technical" at least a dozen times.

That's weird. "Technical" worked on my first try.

Briankbl

Reaction score
....and I got rid of handcent a long time ago also.

Keep in mind...you get what you pay for...:icon_ devil:

atfirstiwuzl128461918594218750.jpg

A) How can anyone take you seriously when you don't use Handcent? /sarcasm

B) You get what you pay for? Considering there are tons of great things in the Market that are free, AND taking into acct that Swype is in Beta, this failed attempt at witty humor made me ROFL!

No offense...just sayin'...

allikanbe

Reaction score
Swype works great for me and I can swype "technical" all day long. I do double check some of the words that I swype because I am not the best swyper. Then again, I check the words that I text when I use the keyboard.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing weird about my lack of ability to use swype. I showed it to my wife and she thought it was an insane program but she comes from the same world I do.

Again I personally think it's a great app, I'd even recommend it just because I see so many people love it. It's just got a learning curve to it that I can't seem to grasp. It does require a bit of a steady hand too.

My handwriting is very bad also, if you saw an example you'd kind of get where I'm coming from. You do need to make some sort of a straight line to spell the words, and yes I realize the program is very intuitive. Just didn't work for me.

Change the subject a bit.

When do you suppose he will start charging for the app and how much are you willing to pay?

gatorbait

Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed Swype for the first time the other day. This program is awesome. I can tell it is going to be something that is going to blow all my friends away. And it really does make texting a lot easier, much like T9 did for traditional cell phones.

I was also very surprised at how forgiving the word recognition software is. I can swype in a relatively sloppy manner and still have the words come out perfectly. I imagine this works best on longer words since there would be less possible matches for the software to choose from, which is perfectly fine because it is often the longer words that I end up swyping in a more sloppy manner.

I'd also recommend that everyone watch the tutorial videos on the swype website if you haven't yet. They go over a lot of useful tips and tricks that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

huskur

Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed Swype for the first time the other day. This program is awesome. I can tell it is going to be something that is going to blow all my friends away. And it really does make texting a lot easier, much like T9 did for traditional cell phones.

I was also very surprised at how forgiving the word recognition software is. I can swype in a relatively sloppy manner and still have the words come out perfectly. I imagine this works best on longer words since there would be less possible matches for the software to choose from, which is perfectly fine because it is often the longer words that I end up swyping in a more sloppy manner.

I'd also recommend that everyone watch the tutorial videos on the swype website if you haven't yet. They go over a lot of useful tips and tricks that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

I to just downloaded it a couple days ago. I admit that i was a non believer but after using it for a couple of days, its friggin' awesome. (just wish it capitalized the first letter after a period)

Wannabe

Reaction score
After a few days of using exclusively it I have switched back to the standard Android soft keyboard/Droid's hardware keyboard. I blame most on my issues on it being a very early build, and encountered quite a few beta bugs. However I think it is very promising and it is one of the few phone apps I would probably lay down 5 bucks for.

clucernoni

Reaction score
I'm not sure what issues people have run into here. I have typed words that I know I screwed up the swiping and it still knew what I was saying. There are only 1 or 2 words that it doesn't get regularly, but I have tried to trip it up and it normally does fine lol.

gatorbait

Reaction score
I to just downloaded it a couple days ago. I admit that i was a non believer but after using it for a couple of days, its friggin' awesome. (just wish it capitalized the first letter after a period)

I agree. This is the only real gripe I have with Swype at this point (mind you, I've only been using it for 2 days). I would prefer it to capitalize the first letter of each sentence by default instead of requiring the "swype above the keyboard method". I imagine that, more often than not, people want the first letter of their sentences capitalized.