Switched from iPhone to Droid X. Praises and complaints...

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
First off, I love this phone. My wife and I had so many issues with our iPhones and I wasnt about to sign another two year contract with AT&T so I could get the discount price on a new iPhone. So, we are now proud owners of two shiny new Droid X's.

My first complaint has to do with notifications. I would love to see a count of all of my new emails / text messages when I look at the icons on my home screen. I know that I can open the messaging icon (the one that looks like a mailbox) and see what I want, but I would love for that feature to be available on my home screen. And that's not a "I want it to be like the iPhone" comment...every smart phone I've owned for the past 6 years has had that ability...does the Droid?

Also, when I open the Messaging icon (the one that looks like a mailbox) I see my Exchange account, my IMAP account and text messages, but no Gmail. How can I include Gmail? It would be great to see all my accounts on that one screen...especially if there is no way to resolve my first complaint.

Also, and this is no biggie, but isnt there a Sirius XM app for Android? My buddy has it, but I dont see it in the market?

Thanks!!!

*edit* Both phones have 2.2

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The former can be solved by a 3rd party launcher like LauncherPro (my personal favorite) or ADW Launcher.

As for the latter I'm not sure, as I dont have a DX. I would expect that by adding your Gmail account to that app, you can take care of it, but I dont know.

Good luck.

And yes, there is a SiriusXM app, but you need to download it from SiriusXM when you buy a subscription

OP
T

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
Now that's a fast response. Thanks LtKen...I'll try that out.

droidman101

Reaction score
Yes there is an option in that email to add an account, just add your gmail account and go into your gmail app and disable notifications so you don't get double

OP
T

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
One other question....how can I set my Exchange account to be the source for my contacts pictures?

S

scrub175

Welcome to droid forums. I followed your streaming work at avs.

I'll do some sighing with regard too your questions. For the most part the app icons don't show message counts that I'm aware of.

The universal inbox I'm still trying to figure out.

And contact picture source send to be very slanted towards facebook integration. Other options may be out there but fb appears the easiest. Might be a blur thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
One other question....how can I set my Exchange account to be the source for my contacts pictures?

Not sure if you can achieve this one. Exchange support has been sketchy at best up until about 3 months ago.

swallman

Reaction score

Not sure if you can achieve this one. Exchange support has been sketchy at best up until about 3 months ago.

From what I read over on the Moto support forum for the DX, their Exchange sync doesn't support syncing the contact photos.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
My first complaint has to do with notifications. I would love to see a count of all of my new emails / text messages when I look at the icons on my home screen. I know that I can open the messaging icon (the one that looks like a mailbox) and see what I want, but I would love for that feature to be available on my home screen. And that's not a "I want it to be like the iPhone" comment...every smart phone I've owned for the past 6 years has had that ability...does the Droid?

Sorry I can't help out too much with the outlook stuff, as my company still is stuck on this blackberry train. I know that if you use another text messaging app, like handcent, you can set it to display the number of unread messages in the notification bar. Not sure if this is exactly what you want, especially if you want your emails and texts to show up within the same notification.

donballz

Reaction score
Handcent text app will display your text totals. You just have to add it to your home screen as a icon widget, as opposed to dragging it from the app tray.

One of a bizillion reasons to switch to handcent.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
LauncherPro Plus will display any unread texts, missed calls, and unread emails.

Sent from Droid2