Switch from D1 to D2? (no cost)

easye

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback from people who have made the switch with great satisfaction. I've always loved my rooted D1, but my roommate made the switch to iPhone (boo) and has a D2 in mint condition I can have for nothing. I guess my only concern is the rooting community around the D2, is it as good as the D1? Is rooting itself as simple?

I know hardware wise the D2 is obviously superior, but rooting my D1 has been fantastic, and it seems like theirs far less custom ROMs for D2.

Either way, I'll sell one on eBay's instant sale program :)

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
If you love trying out custom ROM's as the D1 has SO many available, you will really hate the switch. I went from a D1 to a D2 then to a DX and eventually went back to my D1 for a few months and gave my wife my DX until my upgrade was available.

Rooting is fine, its the locked bootloader that prevents there from being a huge dev community with tons of ROM's, and the ROM's it does have are not near as complete as D1's.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback from people who have made the switch with great satisfaction. I've always loved my rooted D1, but my roommate made the switch to iPhone (boo) and has a D2 in mint condition I can have for nothing. I guess my only concern is the rooting community around the D2, is it as good as the D1? Is rooting itself as simple?

I know hardware wise the D2 is obviously superior, but rooting my D1 has been fantastic, and it seems like theirs far less custom ROMs for D2.

The Droid 2 is not necessarily superior to the Droid 1. I'm running a Gingerbread ROM overclocked to 1000mhz and it's faster than my friend's Droid 2. Hust sayin.

OP
E

easye

Reaction score
If you love trying out custom ROM's as the D1 has SO many available, you will really hate the switch. I went from a D1 to a D2 then to a DX and eventually went back to my D1 for a few months and gave my wife my DX until my upgrade was available.

Rooting is fine, its the locked bootloader that prevents there from being a huge dev community with tons of ROM's, and the ROM's it does have are not near as complete as D1's.

The Droid 2 is not necessarily superior to the Droid 1. I'm running a Gingerbread ROM overclocked to 1000mhz and it's faster than my friend's Droid 2. Hust sayin.

Yeah right now I'm running Peter Alfonso's newest Gingerbread ROM with a 1.25 ghz kernel. I generally don't jump from ROM to ROM too frequently either, so I guess it just comes down to having the one I want. I just figured with the D2 the stock specs are higher (internal memory, CPU), so the rooted possibilities would exceed the D1's as well. I guess the locked bootloader you mention is a big factor in that? I won't lie, I've heard the term thrown around with great disdane, but I can't say I know what it really means.

maxnicks

Reaction score
I made the switch from the Droid 1 to the 2 about a month ago. I bought the D2 on Ebay. On the D1 I frequently changed ROMS but always ended up back at the CyanogenMod ROM. Along with the CM ROM i overclocked using the jdfg 1.2 GHz.

I do miss all of the different ROMs for the D1 but the performance of my D2 is so much better than the D1 I wouldn't go back. My D1 Quadrants were usually around 1100 and the D2 is usually between 1300 and 1400. Using the D2 seems more than such a small difference as indicated by the Quadrant scores.

On my D2, I'm running the Liberty 1.5 ROM. I have not overclocked it. If I were you, I'd grab the D2 and run it for a couple of weeks. That should give you enough time to make up your mind as to what you want to do.

SPG900NY

Reaction score
Yeah right now I'm running Peter Alfonso's newest Gingerbread ROM with a 1.25 ghz kernel. I generally don't jump from ROM to ROM too frequently either, so I guess it just comes down to having the one I want. I just figured with the D2 the stock specs are higher (internal memory, CPU), so the rooted possibilities would exceed the D1's as well. I guess the locked bootloader you mention is a big factor in that? I won't lie, I've heard the term thrown around with great disdane, but I can't say I know what it really means.

I'm don't jump around much myself, and I was stock for a long time once Froyo hit the D1. However, I finally had to send Peter some Paypal cash after he released this Gingerbread with 1.25ghz kernel. I'm running that too for a week or more now and just love it. Couple spontaneous reboots, but battery life seems good even with the higher top on the clock. What a great ROM. I love the stock look and would HIGHLY recommend this ROM to anyone with a D1 to give it some extra life until a new phone we actually want comes out.

I have an upgrade at the end of the month but I don't see anything yet that I want to pull the trigger on. Plus, I'm worried about losing my unlimited text, data & talk promo.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Why not just get it?

If he's giving it to you for free what's the harm in giving it a try? If you don't like it you can just sell it on eBay and get some fast cash dancedroid

killuhjason

Reaction score
I find liberty 1.x to be reeeeally stable, and i dont even have to OC, just use the med or low voltage 1ghz kernel. the battery life is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better on the d2 vs d1, due to the d1 going 100% over its stock speed, so it needs more power, d2 works perfect on the voltage kernel. you still have clockworkz mod using jrummys(i think, if not correct me) bootstrapper.

OP
E

easye

Reaction score
I suppose I'm just gonna try it out, no risk really. I will feel a bit awkward if he gives it to me and a week later I'm using the D1, having solid his D2 for cash :)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still a bit confused about the difference between the D1 and D2 in terms of the whole bootloader/bootstrapping thing, but I'll figure it out..

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Just try it, if you don't like it sell it to me ;-)

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

maxnicks

Reaction score
I agree. Just try it out. If you don't like it, I too would buy it from you. I'd even trade you two D1s for it.

samiusmc

Reaction score
QUOTE=SPG900NY;1353700]

I'm don't jump around much myself, and I was stock for a long time once Froyo hit the D1. However, I finally had to send Peter some Paypal cash after he released this Gingerbread with 1.25ghz kernel. I'm running that too for a week or more now and just love it. Couple spontaneous reboots, but battery life seems good even with the higher top on the clock. What a great ROM. I love the stock look and would HIGHLY recommend this ROM to anyone with a D1 to give it some extra life until a new phone we actually want comes out.

I have an upgrade at the end of the month but I don't see anything yet that I want to pull the trigger on. Plus, I'm worried about losing my unlimited text, data & talk promo.[/QUOTE]

You should try liquid gingerbread 1.4. Best gingerbread Rom out there. Imho

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I got a D2G replacement for my OG. The phone runs smoother and battery life is great so far. However, not many roms are out compared to OG. At the same time OG developers are concentrating on gingerbread roms. I wasnt able to run the gingerbread that good on my OG. I would miss text messages and other stuff. So far so good for now.