SuperSU 2.50 Roots Android 6.0 Marshmallow!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexusae0_supersu.png

If you have been able to install the latest and greatest version of Android, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, to your Nexus device you are probably waiting on a root method. A beta method is now available thanks to the work of ChainfireXDA! He recently informed us that he had passed the torch on to another company, but has still been able to crank out a new SuperSU for 6.0! This is labeled as a work in progress, and is not working perfectly on every device.

To root Android 6.0 marshmallow you will have to update to the official build for your device. You will then need to flash the modified boot.img, then you will need to boot into TWRP and flash SuperSu 2.50. It should be noted that this process may wipe data on certain devices. The Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 are the devices that are being reported as having data wiped by this process. Be sure to backup any important information prior to trying out this root method.

via XDA

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I haven't had any issues obtaining root. I flashed TWRP, a stock kernel that allows root from XDA, and su 2.50. I never once saw the corrupt boot notification and had no issues unencrypting.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I haven't had any issues obtaining root. I flashed TWRP, a stock kernel that allows root from XDA, and su 2.50. I never once saw the corrupt boot notification and had no issues unencrypting.
That's why. In the past we've never had to change the kernel to root.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
That's why. In the past we've never had to change the kernel to root.

I'm well aware. I've been rooting my Android devices since the OG droid. Regardless, if root is that important to you, simply flashing a stock kernel with a couple small tweaks seems like a pretty minor inconvenience to me. Obviously Google has been pretty up front about their recent efforts to raise security levels for Android devices so it's not surprising to me that this would be required - especially so soon after a brand new OS version is released.