Root Marshmallow Without Modifying System Image!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A few weeks ago Chainfire released a root method for Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The only downfall to the method is that it requires you to flash a modified boot image. Chainfire has now released a new root method for Marshmallow on Nexus devices that does not require you to flash a modified boot image! This is experimental and Chainfire adds to the top of the thread "Do you really want this?". He has a full explanation of the process at the link below. You can also find all files needed and the full method there!

via XDA

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Haven't read the latest article, but I'd be willing to bet, that while it does give you root, since the file system would still be encrypted you couldn't use a custom recovery or flash anything.

So I'll wait just a bit longer to see how this settles out before I unlock.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Haven't read the latest article, but I'd be willing to bet, that while it does give you root, since the file system would still be encrypted you couldn't use a custom recovery or flash anything.

So I'll wait just a bit longer to see how this settles out before I unlock.

TWRP works with encrypted file systems, unless I'm mistaken. I haven't used his new method but the last root on stock OS and kernel worked just fine under recovery and allowed flashing flawlessly, my phone was encrypted.

I won't be able to fool with this until tonight.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
TWRP works with encrypted file systems, unless I'm mistaken. I haven't used his new method but the last root on stock OS and kernel worked just fine under recovery and allowed flashing flawlessly, my phone was encrypted.

I won't be able to fool with this until tonight.
Interesting.. I was reading another thread that claimed the opposite... well time for the Popcorn... watch this show and see when it has the "Happy Ending"

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be waiting to root when I get my device.
I will unlock it though. With tethering working out of the box, I can wait to root.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Here's from the post on TWRP for the 6P

"NOTE: Decrypting data is not supported yet. The Nexus 6P will normally attempt to encrypt the device automatically on first boot. To use TWRP as you normally would, you will have to format data and install a slightly modified boot image with forceencrypt disabled. My Nexus 6P should arrive tomorrow and I will start working on decrypt once I get my hands on it."

Reactions: CJM

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
My N6 is rooted on Marshmallow with a modded kernel, it's encrypted, it runs TWRP and flashes just fine. What this root method saves you from is needing a modified kernel which may save you from the ailments you mentioned.

Maybe someone has more insight. Looks like I'm breaking out my good ol' NRT tonight!

EDIT: I just read through the post on XDA... I'm gonna hold what I've got. Everything works. This isn't quite ready for prime time and I don't feel like re-entering my login credentials for my accounts.

Last edited: