Super slow droid!!! Need help bad!!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by leavittwoodland, Jan 11, 2011.

1. leavittwoodland

leavittwoodland New Member

I need help. I have to original Motorola Droid, and it is super slow! When i say slow i mean, moving from one page to another (not in apps or web, but more like home screen to app list, or from one home page to another) or after sliding the unlock, it takes forever for the icons to load (like 20+ seconds) when switching from contact page to dialer page, etc. It is very annoying, and makes the phone not fun to have!

It all started around June of 2010 after the first Droid update, and just got worse from there!

I have tried:
    -Reinstalling the updates
    -Task Killers
    -Anti-virus
    -Restarting
    -Static discharge
    -Erasing apps, and reinstalling them

Here is the kicker....Verizon just sent me a new droid (or rather a replacement, per warranty) and i am STILL having a problem! I may be an idiot, but i need help!

My only thought is that my sd card is bad? Is this possible, and if so how do i fix it? Or is it something eles all together.

I could really use help!!!!
  2. D1motoBRICE

D1motoBRICE New Member

Have you tried a hard reset?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. Raydee35

Raydee35 Member

Are you running 2.2 on it? Ever since the update I have wated to place my droid under my truck tire and run it over 15 times. My phone has turned into a complete turd and I have tried everything that was recommended on this forum to fix it. My fix is going to be a Evo next month.
  4. D1motoBRICE

D1motoBRICE New Member

Hey if you upgrade you can mail me your old one :)

5. Raydee35

Raydee35 Member

I was in a meeting today and had to show a salesman some data on my phone and I swear to God the phone wouldn't do anything. When It finally woke up and started to work I was so frustrated I ended up turning it off. It was much better back when I had the original software, I don't think the hardware in the older phone is ready for 2.2.
  6. leavittwoodland

yes i am running 2.2.1, and i am going nuts! Like if i need to call 911, i will die before my phone even shows an icon! Can anybody help?????? Please!!!
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. leavittwoodland

Can you explain what a hard reset is and how you do that???
  8. joshoid

joshoid New Member

Are you running either LP or ADW? You may be having issues with redraw. There are already theads on this issues posted here.
  9. joshoid

joshoid New Member

Hard reset starts in recovery mode. You get there by sliding open the key pad, holding power and X at the same time. You will see the "M" motorola logo, keep holding and the screen goes to recovery mode. I am running Clockworkmod so I have a different screen than you but you should find an option "wipe data / factory reset". follow the steps.

There should be posts on this already that can be search.
  10. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You're getting some well meaning but nevertheless misleading information.

First, remove all task killers and antivirus. Task killers and anitvirus are not needed.

If that alone doesn't fix the issue then a factory data reset is in order. But not the one described by the previous poster. Simply go to you settings/privacy section/factory data reset.

This will remove all data and free applications from your Droid. Some people say the free apps come back, that's not my experience. Paid apps should start reinstalling themselves once you sing back into Google but if that doesn't happen then go to the Market, click on "My downloads" and you will see them all there. Go ahead and install.

Now as far as getting your stock back apps, get them on an as needed basis. Do not reinstall task killers or antivirus. Task killers interfere with the way a Droid manages it's memory and are unnecessary. Antivirus is a huge resource hog and is probably the reason your phone is running slow now anyway.

Good luck.
  11. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

First download cache cleaner and try cleaning the app cache, if this does not improve the issue do a factory reset as described above.

---------------------
    fivefour on xda
    @f1vefour on twitter
  12. joshoid

joshoid New Member

Thanks hook, still learning myself. I wasnt aware there was a factory reset under privacy options. As for task killers and anti virus. Seems like a lot of discussions. I personally just uninstalled my task killer.

13. joshoid

joshoid New Member

I dont think Leavit was rooted. I'd go with Hooks response.
  14. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

I would temp root and clean cache before doing a system wipe....

---------------------
    fivefour on xda
    @f1vefour on twitter
  15. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

My Droid had the 2.0 software on it originally, and I updated to 2.1 when it came out, and then 2.2 when it was released. No issues with speed at all. Just as fast, if not faster, than the day I bought it, and I run a home screen/launcher replacement (Launcher Pro).

EDIT: I'm now running a different ROM, but that had nothing to do with complaints about the stock 2.2.1 speed.

My guess is you have too much crap on it, and it needs to be refreshed/reset to factory settings.
  16. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

If he roots, then there is so much more he can do with his phone that would speed it up.
  17. REMilk

REMilk New Member

I suggest that you remove littpe used apps until you have 30 mb memory free. I find that when I go under 30 mb, the performance degrades. I think this has to do with little memory available for cache.
  18. chevyspd

chevyspd New Member

I can tell you I had this same issue, but I was determined to fix it without rooting. So I did what everyone here has suggested to no avail. Then I decided to dl estrongs file explorer from the market and see just how much I could clean up if I could see all the files for myself. Much to my surprise, I found lots and lots of stored files for programs that I had deleted trying to fix this very issue. Two of the main ones I remember were Flikie wallpapers cache files and zedge operating files. Among moving some files around for easier access, I deleted these two folders off of my sd card. I will let you know too that these files and folders were still on the sd card after uninstalling the programs and then doing a factory hard reset. Once I deleted those, problem solved....my d1 with froyo 2.2 is wayyyy faster than it ever was with 2.1 and I am now running launcher pro with everything set to maximize display beauty AND a live wallpaper with about 6 fulltime active widgets. All this on my UNROOTED d1. So I suggest seeing what all is left on ur sd card that u don't use and deleting that garbage off there....with that being said....
    DISCLAIMER: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY BE INCURRED TO YOUR PHONE WHEN USING A FILE EXPLORER PROGRAM. BE CAREFUL, YOU COULD DELETE SOMETHING YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY NEED!

19. brian67t

brian67t New Member

20. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

I'm having the exact same issue. did a factory reset and it seemed to fix or, but after installing some apps
    it is doing the same. Very annoying. I also had deleted stuff from the sd card to no avail.

Search tags for this page
android phone is super slow.

droid bionic super slow

droid dna suddenly super slow

droid is super slow

droid razor is super slow
droid razor super slow

droid razr super slow

droidx2 super slow
motorola milestone 2 running slow
my android is super slow how to fix this
my droid is super slow
my phone is super slow
super slow android phone
will resetting help a slow bionic
y is my downloader on my phone super slow?