Sunday Evening Chat: Welcome to Hell's Kitchen

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
268406F400000578-2988593-image-a-40_1426015812991.jpg

Spent part of the weekend binge watching Daredevil on Netflix and came away liking the direction Marvel is going. Where the movie universe is the clean cut polished version full of special effects, the tv universe is ok at best, and the Netflix series fits in the middle. If you have watched any Netflix Original series show then you can get a grasp of the tone and style of Daredevil on Netflix. You are not going to find top of the line special effects in the series but you will not be disappointed, unless you were expecting the cinematic style effect. Because it is a 13 (1 hour) show series, the writers have time to develop the characters in the show. Whether it be Daredevil, Wilson Fisk (aka Gomer Pyle), or other characters in the show, the writers do a good job in Season 1 telling the story of the characters involved.

This show is not recommended for young viewers. Where you can take the family to enjoy the Avengers on the big screen, this show is for adults and mature audiences only as it is full of graphic violence from separation of limbs, decapitation, and brutality.

As a Netflix show I have to give it an 8 to 8.2 out of 10 and definitely worth the watch. Though I was not familiar with the character, other than seeing him on the 90s Spiderman cartoon show, I 'wikied' him when the show was announced and came away feeling like I have a better understanding of both the character and Hell's Kitchen.

On to another "nerd topic" in we want to celebrate the rooting crowd whether retired or still flashing.

1. When was the first time you rooted, what device, and what method?
  2. What were your favorite roms (no particular order) and kernels?
  3. How many devices have you bricked and how many have you recovered?
  4. Those that have retired, what led you to retirement in flashing roms?

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1) Droid and I rooted using the update.zip method.

2) Sholesmod will always hold a place in my heart because it was the method that not only help me realize the capabilities of rooting but also provided a simple method for those who wanted a rom. They were one of the first to allow users to choose the option of what they wanted in their rom via a program. Sholesmod was also what got me involved deeper into android and led me to wanting to help people further causing me to join in the efforts to create a rescue squad, a vision started by @jstafford1 that turned into a long thread involving myself, @Jonny Kansas, and spearheaded by @JimMariner. This group sparked my interest in electronics and technology.
Other roms that stand out was Chevy, Cleanrom, and almost any rom ever made for the d1 as that was the peak of the rom era for me. Everything from setcpu to live wallpapers I was game. Ironic how people were big into live wallpapers waiting on 2.1 only to lose interest almost immediately after.

3) Almost every phone I have owned I have bricked and thankfully recovered. But each time I was bricked I panicked, swore never to rom again, and did not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think that was why I was able to help people remain calm when helping them recover because I related to what they were going through.

4) Not retired but definitely slowed down. I will root my primary phone but stick with the stock rom. Any roming I do I will do on my nexus 5 and it is an 'every now and then' thing. Yet even now I ended up flashing my nexus 5 back to the stock rom. I just do not have the time to chase down the latest rom updates. The speed at which Google submit updates for the nexus is where I am at as far as time to flash updates/roms.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
1. Original iPhone using the command line.
2. Android: Paranoid Android, iOS: dreamboard.
3. The only devices I have ever bricked was the OG iPhone. I say "devices" because I perma-bricked two before getting it right on the third phone.
4. I root now just for the ability to make a Nandroid. Most of the great development that was rampant in previous years seems to have died down. I haven't seen any "must have" roms in quite some time.

Is that a testament to how mature Android has become or because OEMs are locking down most phones now?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
  1. The first device I rooted was my OG Droid. Obviously with the OG Droid, it was extremely easy to achieve root (update.zip method for me) but I would certainly give the credit to one of the original DroidForums' members who guided me through the process - Mike Hartman (mwhartman). He sparked my fascination for Android and I've only used Android phones ever since.
  2. For the OG Droid, my favorite ROM was definitely the Sapphire ROM by CVPCS. I enjoyed the pure AOSP base in addition to slight performance enhancements/features. For my Droid 2, Droid Pro, and Droid X, I didn't really use any ROMs aside from occasionally trying out kejar31's GummyJar ROM. However, while I liked it being essentially "blur free", having to deal with a locked bootloader was an issue and was always a pain in terms of achieving 100% functionality with the ROM. After owning those devices I moved onto the VZW Galaxy Nexus. I usually stuck with stock rooted ROMs, but when support stopped from Google for the device, I used Shiny ROM to stay up to date with the newest version of Android. I never rooted either my Moto X 2013 or my Moto X 2014. Now, I am happily on stock rooted 5.1 LMY47I for my Nexus 6. I have found that I like using the latest factory image released by Google and just manually rooting it myself (as opposed to flashing a stock rooted ROM).
  3. I honestly probably "bricked" (really just "soft bricked") each of the devices listed above (aside from the Moto X's). I used the .sbf files to recover the Motorola devices and the factory images from Google to recover my Nexus devices.
  4. I was planning to "retire" from having the desire to root, but with how intrusive ads have become I simply had to get rid of the ads. That is essentially the only reason I use root privileges on my Nexus 6 today. Similar to pc747, I have certainly slowed down from the old days of flashing ROMs/kernels so frequently though.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is that a testament to how mature Android has become or because OEMs are locking down most phones now?

A mixture of both I think. Manufacturers have loaded the phones with features and the things we looked for in roms back in the day come standard now on even low end devices. Multitouch, live wallpapers, pinch to zoom, overclocking, those were some of the things we sought after roms for back in the day. But now even the moto e have specs and features that far surpass the phones of the day.

High end phones now are loaded with features, perform far beyond what we need, and have resolutions better than what some of out tvs. So out of the box over the years I find myself using less and less root apps/features to now I only use root for tibu but on a limited basis. Yes manufacturers are locking them down making it harder to root but frankly more people are retiring from rooting and if a manufacturer skin is too much they will just install nova launcher. And if you look at the numbers over the years of feature phones vs developer devices (nexus, cyanogenmod, gpe) and the numbers the people have clearly spoken.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
  • Mike Hartman (mwhartman). He sparked my fascination for Android and I've only used Android phones ever since.
  • For the OG Droid, my favorite ROM was definitely the Sapphire ROM by CVPCS.

Mike has been a good staff member to work with and also was a big part of helping develop the RS.

CVPCS, ahhh I loved that rom and was excited when he was working on a rom for my D2. He eventually went on to maintain for Cyanogen and have not kept up with his development since. I was racking my brain to remember all the droid roms I flashed back in the day so definitely glad to see the list some of you are submitting.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. First rooted device was the OG Droid. Good times.
2. I believe my go to ROM for OG Droid was CyanogenMod.
3. 0 devices.
4. I quit flashing ROMs after my first year with the s4. ROMs I felt were unstable and really offered nothing really more compared to stock ROM that was useful to me. Features that were once ROM exclusive were now built into Android so I found no need to flash a custom ROM. However, I will always need root.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Way to indirectly tie the new Daredevil series to Android. :)

BTW... I binge watched the whole series over the weekend. It's awesome!

Reactions: cr6