Suggestions?

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
I've posted this in the Turbo forums...but saw this new forum..

I'm caught in between getting the Turbo 2 or S7 edge.

Looks like the battery is bigger in the Turbo 2 a little
Camera has more mega-pixels on the Turbo 2

S7 edge has a more updated processor
S7 edge has a more updated running system

Wondering if the S7 will be buggy at first.

I'm really wanting to get a new phone pretty quick since my Casio Commando loves sucking the battery up.

Another thing is..I'm also debating on getting a smart watch too...I've heard the Samsung Gear watches need a Samsung phone to work.

Any opinions?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I think the decision comes down to 2 main factors

Do you want a good solid plain Android experience with a very rugged device that still packs a great camera?

Do you want a bells and whistles Android experience with a device on the more fragile side with a great camera?

Everyone looks at the MP of all these cameras. Nowadays unless you want to create huge prints or zoom in from a PC or something to great detail MP's are all pretty much just a "wow" factor. What you want is a camera with the features you want... Low level light, continuous shot, zoom, panoramic, stuff to that nature...

Now according to the event today it sounds like the S7 battery/software combo is going to be incredible. But if it were me I would try and hold out for the S7 to actually hit the streets and read reviews and first hand experiences. I am in no way good at always waiting like I should but I am doing my best to hold out for the Note 6 to be released.

OP
F

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
Yeah that what i was thinking...waiting....but this casio commando...it's on its last leg with the battery life. I'm at 15% and just start using it and all of the sudden the phone goes to 0 and shuts off...

I just want a good rugged phone (water resistant; though I guess I could get a lifeproof case), decent camera, great battery life, big screen for my big hands. I mean most that I do with my phone is call, text, youtube, netflix, and maybe couple games.

I had the S5 and it was a great phone until it somehow rebooted and made me lose all of my valuable experiences.

But any company will say their software/device is going to be incredible to get more potential buyers at start up.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If I were you, I'd go to the store and test both devices as much as possible. We can all give you advice about the cameras, our experience with the devices, and all that, but it's still just an opinion. Ultimately you'll be the one using the phone every day and it's you that will have to make the decision.

That being said, onto the technical aspects of your debate.

Megapixels....the megapixel game is not what it used to be. Comparing last year's Galaxy s6 16MP vs iPhone 6S 12MP, both look really great, and unless you're an amateur or professional photographer, I highly doubt you'd notice the difference between the two devices of a photograph in the exact same conditions.

So far what I read about the S7's camera, it blows away the 6S camera, especially in low light. This all comes to the aperture, which mobile device cameras are slowly increasing to allow higher quality images.

Processing... The S7 will be the higher spec device because it's much newer than the Turbo 2. However, performance still comes down to optimizations and the UI. I'm sure you've heard of "Samsung lag" or "TouchWiz lag", as a user of the Note 5, I can't say I've experienced it. Originally yes on my S4 I have, especially with the Gallery app, but Samsung has since cleaned up their act and it's been smooth and quick.

Software... the S7 will launch with Marshmallow. Will there be bugs? Who knows, but if there are don't be surprised as it's the first device that will have it on Samsung's lineup. And just like any other previous versions, look for patches to fix up the little things here and there.

You mentioned you want a "rugged" phone. Unless you throw on a heavy duty case, then the s7 probably doesn't fit that criteria. The Turbo 2 is definitely the more rugged phone out of the two and you don't even need a case for that one. (There are some crazy youtube videos out there testing how much of a beating a Turbo 2 can take).

All that being said...
Go to the store and demo the two units. Try to use them as you would daily; go browse sites you frequent, try out the cameras, try out videos, and compare the two.

I have seen many change their mind about a device because of their in-store experiences. Heck, even that happened to me. I thought I was going to upgrade to the S6 from my S4, but here I have a Note 5 sitting on my desk. The Note 5 won me over with 10min spent with it in the store.

OP
F

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
Well I'm kind of leaning to the Samsung s7 for one reason...I'm thinking about getting a Gear S smart watch because sometimes I leave my phone somewhere and I might need to call someone...or when I'm on my motorcycle..I can see who is calling without trying to dig in my pockets with my big hand and nearly wreck and be more of an irresponsible rider. The Gear S needs a Galaxy to get all of the stuff to work..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There are certainly other great choices for smartwatches out there, but that's another debate to be had by you.

I'm all for safety, especially when driving, so I think a Smartwatch could be beneficial for you, especially on a motorcycle. Motorola (well I guess Lenovo now) makes a fine smartwatch.

OP
F

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
Well I just ordered the Gear S earlier. I hear it's bout the only standalone watch there is and screen is bigger.

I saw the Motorola 360 (newer) but it's like 300+ and I'm not spending that much. I got the Gear S for $149

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Keep in mind that the T2 is now considered an older model compared to the S7.
I always go for the latest and greatest as it always pays me back when it's time to trade up.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I just ordered the Gear S earlier. I hear it's bout the only standalone watch there is and screen is bigger.

I saw the Motorola 360 (newer) but it's like 300+ and I'm not spending that much. I got the Gear S for $149
Let me know if you've got any questions on your Gear S. I've had mine over a year now.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
F

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
Let me know if you've got any questions on your Gear S. I've had mine over a year now.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

How do you like it? Have you used it around any water? Is the screen easy to scratch?

Oh and I pre-ordered the S7 edge

OP
F

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
I preordered the S7 Edge yesterday and it has a promo of a free gear S2 or a gear VR.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yeah I saw that...I think I won't get the S2 since I'm getting the Gear S. Heard the S2 sucked anyways.....probably get the VR....

OP
F

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
I plan on selling the S2 and using the money to get a Gear S also

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yeah I was debating on getting the S2 and selling it but knowing my luck the market would flood with them being sold with this special going on...then I'll be stuck with it. LOL.

I got my Gear S new for $149 on flEBAY.