Sudden Battery Issue

Murker

Reaction score
I upgraded from the HTC Rezound to the GS4 on Verizon about 2 months ago and it's been completely flawless. Battery life was fantastic. I was charging my phone about every 2 days.

Now last night I had my phone in my pocket while at my friends house. I put my hand on my pocket to make sure the phone hadn't fallen out and I noticed it was super hot. First off, that's never happened from just sitting in my pocket. So I pulled it out and noticed the battery life was down to 28%. It was fully charged a few hours before and I had made 1 phone call on it. Other then that, I hadn't used it at all. Of course, it was dead within the hour.

Got home last night and plugged in the charger and I checked it 2 hours later and it was at 100% charge again. So I unplugged it, laid it on the table and ended up falling asleep. Now I woke up this morning and when I checked it, it was off. When I turned it on, I felt the little blip vibration, saw the Galaxy S4 display, then nothing.....plugged it back into the charger and it was at 1%. Anyone had this issue??

I'm charging it again now, but I can't figure out what I could have done to it to make the battery act like that. I did a Google search for the issue and there are a few articles on swollen batteries not holding charges and that Samsung service centers offer a free replacement if you have this issue, but I don't think there are any locations in the US, as I get zero results for location.

Since my phone is only a few months old,would Verizon replace it for me?? I can't even find batteries on their website.

It's a big issue for me since I don't use a home phone landline, I live off my cell phone, so I need to get this resolved asap. :)

Let me add that I had gotten the new update a few days ago, as well.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Did you take that maintenance upgrade that came out a few days ago? I've been having the same problem with my battery since I took it. Hopefully the 4.3 upgrade we're supposed to get today will fix it. If you're desperate to fix it in the interim, try doing a factory data reset, which will delete everything on your phone and restore it to out of the box condition. You'll have to re-add your email accounts and reinstall all your apps.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Just leave it on charge cord - no reason to disconnect.
I too found mine hot as hell one morning - actually waving it in the air to get cooled down.
I don't recall what was running In the background.
It ended up in my bedding - apparently it doesn't like this insulated environment that can't shed heat.

OP
Murker

Murker

Reaction score
Did you take that maintenance upgrade that came out a few days ago? I've been having the same problem with my battery since I took it. Hopefully the 4.3 upgrade we're supposed to get today will fix it. If you're desperate to fix it in the interim, try doing a factory data reset, which will delete everything on your phone and restore it to out of the box condition. You'll have to re-add your email accounts and reinstall all your apps.

I did take the upgrade and am using 4.2.2, so I'll be looking for this upgrade later today hopefully.

Every other phone I've had, I always had a reserve battery and this one I haven't bothered with yet. I'm kicking myself for not having a spare just to test it out.

GVLBob

Reaction score
What things have you tried so far? Things like: turn off the phone, remove the SIM card, power back up, power back down, re-insert the SIM card, and one last power up. Or turn off and turn back on? What is the signal strength on the phone or what is your experience with the WiFi turned off? Stuff like that.

OP
Murker

Murker

Reaction score
What things have you tried so far? Things like: turn off the phone, remove the SIM card, power back up, power back down, re-insert the SIM card, and one last power up. Or turn off and turn back on? What is the signal strength on the phone or what is your experience with the WiFi turned off? Stuff like that.

As of now, all I've done is fully recharge it and I am monitoring the battery loss. Right now it seems to be doing alright but if it starts to plummet again, I will do a full remove battery, sim card etc to see what happens.

I will post anything I find.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
No sooner posted - mine went from 100% to 15% just being here - very strange.
Always monitor apps running to only whats needed.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Is everyone who's posting here on that OS upgrade we got last week? I think it's the culprit.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Yes. I think it's causing the battery drain.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Yes - I did the minor update -
And I'm usually the one to wait & see first -
Rumor I think I came across was it's a precursor to what's coming -
So I let it.

Now I kill everything - and bring the iPad to the bar for lunch.

tekmantoo

Reaction score
I upgraded from the HTC Rezound to the GS4 on Verizon about 2 months ago and it's been completely flawless. Battery life was fantastic. I was charging my phone about every 2 days.

Now last night I had my phone in my pocket while at my friends house. I put my hand on my pocket to make sure the phone hadn't fallen out and I noticed it was super hot. First off, that's never happened from just sitting in my pocket. So I pulled it out and noticed the battery life was down to 28%. It was fully charged a few hours before and I had made 1 phone call on it. Other then that, I hadn't used it at all. Of course, it was dead within the hour.

Got home last night and plugged in the charger and I checked it 2 hours later and it was at 100% charge again. So I unplugged it, laid it on the table and ended up falling asleep. Now I woke up this morning and when I checked it, it was off. When I turned it on, I felt the little blip vibration, saw the Galaxy S4 display, then nothing.....plugged it back into the charger and it was at 1%. Anyone had this issue??

I'm charging it again now, but I can't figure out what I could have done to it to make the battery act like that. I did a Google search for the issue and there are a few articles on swollen batteries not holding charges and that Samsung service centers offer a free replacement if you have this issue, but I don't think there are any locations in the US, as I get zero results for location.

Since my phone is only a few months old,would Verizon replace it for me?? I can't even find batteries on their website.

It's a big issue for me since I don't use a home phone landline, I live off my cell phone, so I need to get this resolved asap. :)

Let me add that I had gotten the new update a few days ago, as well.

I had the exact same issue and noticed it right after last week's update. Phone would get hot just being in my pocket and battery would drain very quickly. Like you, I charged it fully before going to bed and by morning it would be almost dead. I ended up doing a factory reset on my phone 2 days ago and it has returned to normal battery use. I'm not sure what happened but I was ready to return phone for another one, but the factory reset, so far, seems to have fixed the problem.

Drew