#su binary update

MikeFouts

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I rooted my bionic using R3l3AS3D R00T and im on 5.5.893 and every time i go to update my SU it force closes

HELP?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
MikeFouts

MikeFouts

Reaction score
Yeah ive tried that. I think i will have to unroot and reset it to .883 and then root again.

OP
MikeFouts

MikeFouts

Reaction score
It says
Downloading manifest... ok!
Parsing manifest... ok!
Current version 3.0.3.2

OP
MikeFouts

MikeFouts

Reaction score
Sorry it was latest version

OP
MikeFouts

MikeFouts

Reaction score
And then checking current version =
Then it force closes

xmguy

Reaction score
I'll jump in here. I too had this issue when I was on .894/.894. I tried to update too but was not able to get root access. I've reverted back to .886 but Kernel and Radio are still on .894/.893. Will be swapping and waiting for BETTER root methods for the OTA update.

OP
MikeFouts

MikeFouts

Reaction score
I just dont want to get harrassed by the ota update if im reverting back to .883

xmguy

Reaction score
And then checking current version =
Then it force closes

If you don't mind your kernel on 893 then you can use 4ever root to restore the system to .886. Or do what I'm doing. Told VZW The update messed my phone up and didn't take. Getting a replacement. Will keep it on .886. As previously stated.

OP
MikeFouts

MikeFouts

Reaction score
Ill just use that then. Restore, root, 4everoot, then keep it there.

xmguy

Reaction score
I just dont want to get harrassed by the ota update if im reverting back to .883

I think there is a way to block the OTA. Not sure how. Maybe you could ask around here. Mine for some reason doesn't see the update. Funny as I never changed anything that would reflect that. I know back when I had the OG Droid. I didn't want to update to Froyo. I wanted to stay on 2.1. No root option or something. I just kept hitting ignore. Yeah it would pop up many times. I do know with Bootstrap on it WILL fail. I just wish the file / apk that looks for updates could be frozen or .bak ed.

xmguy

Reaction score
Hey man. Take this for what it's worth. Found this on Android Central. "In the past it has simply been a matter of changing the build props via root explorer to reflect the latest update even though the phone has not been updated. We'll have to wait for the official name of the new update and then change the name in the build props to see if it works."

xmguy

Reaction score
More news. Maybe this WILL Work! "Once an OTA hits your phone from the server, it's probably a good idea to install it. They're usually bug fixes, and from the early days of the Droid1, I don't recall an OTA breaking anything, but instead just providing improvements. So go for it without worries.

However... if for whatever reason you just don't want the OTA update, for example, if you're afraid of losing root, then you can block the OTA. In this situation, if you don't install the OTA, it'll keep bugging and bugging until you give in and install the OTA.

To get around this (if for some reason you don't want the OTA), then here's some advice. The OTA server probes your phone's current update status by reading the ro.build.fingerprint setting in your /system/build.prop file. That setting is simply a string (a list of text characters) that indicates your current update status. Once the OTA is installed, this string is updated to indicate you have the new OTA, and hence the server stops bugging you to update. If you don't want the update, simply ask someone (on here) who has allowed the update to post the new string that is assigned to ro.build.fingerprint. You can then go in and edit the build.prop file and change the string to the updated string, and then the OTA server will be tricked into thinking you have the update. It'll quit bugging you then.

The only real reason to block an OTA is if you fear losing root, but there is a rootkeeper app in the market that will protect your root after the update. There is also a trick for giving yourself "permanent root," and it's elsewhere in the forums."

bigmook

Reaction score
Couldn't you just freeze the upgrader Apk. ? It has worked for me on multiple devices from moto

Sent from my DROID BIONIC