Stopping unwanted services from starting AT ALL

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by justageek, Apr 14, 2010.

1. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't bother with startup auditor, I believe it works by actively killing processes that you've disabled from startup much like a task killer. Waste of resources.

AFAIK there really isn't any unrooted solution to stop these processes from starting up.

2. justageek

justageek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no intense thought involved in the determination that I have no need for MP3 store to even be on the phone. Once I get this phone to the place that I am not using it for first-system testing it probably will never play more than ring tones, and alerts, and Librovox MP3s (no need for Amazon here).

So, I am certain that you belittle yourself on this matter. You can better manage memory than the application layers of the OS. And THESE are what is making the bad decisions related to starting these applications and services. it is Not the OS.

Regarding 'corner painting'... The lack of an exit in this virtual room (no way of doing the right thing) enforces that, should one paint then they would eventually be 'cornered'.

3. justageek

justageek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - i bought it and uninstalled it too - They said i got credited for it at the uninstall

#27 justageek, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  4. dlnp22

dlnp22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using startup auditor and it is doing exactly as advertised- keeping things from reopening and starting on their own. Albeit, not ALL items I'd like, but quite a few. With ATK, etc- don't your have to manually stop each process each time they start back up again? What am I missing?

5. MuF

MuF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I loved how most of you here just typed "utfg" instead of reading op's question...

So I bump this thread...

Is there any way on rooted or not rooted device to prevent services and apps from running?

Don't suggest any task killers or startup managers - I want the service not to start. I don't want the service to start and then another service to start to kill the previous service. Don't you see it'd complete bull

#29 MuF, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
  6. KevinJ

KevinJ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there is a way on non-rooted phones.

I don't have a rooted phone (and 99.99999999% never will), and there are programs I hate to see even on my phone (the Amazon MP3 one and the Twitter one). I can kill the Amazon one, but it keeps coming back. Heck, at times it's running - downloading things for hours (according to the "Running Services" screen), and I have never used it.

All I ever here from people is "root your phone and then you can do whatever you want with it - even delete system programs." And I'm sick of it.

So if you're one of the ones who has rooted your phone, I'm sure someone has a way to get rid of programs. If not, you're screwed.

7. MuF

MuF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and if I don't want to get rid of the program?

I'll give an example:
    game named: Sketch Online
    (great little game where you guess what other draw or they guess what you draw)

however - for a reason I'm not aware of it is turned always on. After I kill it it starts again (or maybe doesn't get killed - dunno).

Solution is to uninstall the app - okay, but I want to use the app - but I want to use it on-demand.

It's like on PC when you install Adobe Reader - it installs resident updater and whatnot - I've disabled it with CCleaner right after the installation has fineshed but the Reader works even without that crapware. App = yes, resident crap = no.

8. as_daylight_dies

as_daylight_dies New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know it has been a while since someone posted on this thread but I would personally love to see a root app like startup auditor that actually prevents the service from starting rather than just continuously killing it every time it starts (which, in itself, is obviously a huge waste of resources). It would be even better if Google would integrate the ability to run selected apps "on-demand" but I highly doubt that would ever happen...

9. MuF

MuF New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    check app "Autostarts"

Search tags for this page
android prevent services from running

android prevent services from starting

android stop running services
android stop service

android stop services from starting

android stop unwanted services