Stock vs. root

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by denakisland, Jan 16, 2011.

1. denakisland

denakisland New Member

Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
    ok, so I'm getting my Incredible tomorrow (yay!) and I'm coming from a rooted Eris. From what I've read there really is no reason to root the Incredible because if it's functionality, however I'm very used to apps such as Titanium, Shoot Me and a couple other "root-only" apps. I also enjoy finding and playing with Roms.
    My question is, in your opinion, should I root right away or play with it stock because it's, well, Incredible.
  2. UNC

UNC New Member

Are you beholden to the Incredible? If you can hold onto that Eris for just a few more months you should. The battery on the Incredible is Incredibly bad. So bad that I went back from Incredible to the original Droid...
  3. DInc_Mo

DInc_Mo New Member

I was thinking the same thing. I have had my Dinc for three days now and have been unable to put it down. I came from a Blackberry and this is my first Android phone. I know I have a lot to learn, but it seems like there could be benefits to rooting this incredible phone.
  4. denakisland

denakisland New Member

Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
    Well, the Eris quite a battery sucker. So much in fact I have 2 backup batteries for my Eris, which fit the Incredible. So I'm not worried about that ;)
  5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

I have a rooted Incredible. I kept the stock ROM, but have the freedom to use rooted apps. Don't you know that rooting just gives you superuser permissions, as you already have a rooted Eris:)
  6. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Play with it for about 30 minutes, root it with unrevoked 3.3, get your stuff back on there, play with it for about 30 minutes, then look at the ROMs, themes, etc, available for the Inc, and after about another 30 minutes you'll forget you ever questioned whether you should root it or not. :D
  7. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Dude, it is not broke!!!!! Use it for awhile first, and explore the **** out of it, then see.....
  8. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

I'd rather have a Thunderbolt than a Droid Incredible.....
  9. Grimster

Grimster New Member

All third part ROMs for the Inc have stability issues and bugs. They are developed by people who are not devs for a living. Dont even waste your time installing another ROM. There is nothing useful you can do with a third party ROM that you cant do with the stock ROM. If you're going to do anything, just root and remove bloatware from the stock ROM.
  10. The_Sithness420

The_Sithness420 New Member

Rooting an inc has, imo, quite a few benefits ie free hotspot anyone? Also custom roms to "fix" any issues you may have with the handset such as battery life is also very useful. With android being as open sourced as it is I really don't why you wouldn't want to root your Inc! The possibilities are endless!
    Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
  11. Grimster

Grimster New Member

The stock rom has free hotspot as well. All you need to do is change the NAI. Takes 10 seconds. As stated before, third party roms offer nothing useful over the stock rom.
  12. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Edit******
  13. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

Depends what ROM you get. Most devs know their s*it and do awesome jobs with their ROMs. And you can't get that stock (vanilla) android theme without a custom ROM.... unless you have a phone from a manufacturer that just throws Android on its phones. And can you get Gingerbread on most of today's stock phones?

But I agree that most custom ROMs do not have HTC sense, which means you'd probably lose features with a custom. With the exception to my Rom, that desire z with sense 2.0 one. Pretty awesome, I recommend it.

Sent from my Incredible using DroidForums App
  14. Grimster

Grimster New Member

Again, you are wrong. All you need to do is uninstall Sense and bloatware and you have vanilla rom. You dont need third party roms as they are all unstable and riddled with bugs.
  15. bigsapz

bigsapz New Member

There are plenty of 3rd party ROMs that are solid. Ultimate Droid and Cyanogenmod are my top 2 favorite. Both run GREAT. Fast, smooth and w/o all the bloat. Would never consider going back to stock garbage.

Sent from my Incredible 2.3.2 using DroidForums App
  16. DInc_Mo

DInc_Mo New Member

Well, I broke down and rooted my phone lastnight. Wow! What can I say? If you wanna talk about being a true superuser of your phone, after your rooted there is NO question about it.

17. andrix10

andrix10 New Member

I'm using minui rom, and its even more stable then stock, and if u root u can oc ur phone too which is awesome

18. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Grimster, you are spreading wrong information. Having a stock, rooted rom, and just "uninstalling Sense and bloatware" will NOT make it a vanilla rom. Even if you "uninstall Sense and bloatware" you will still be running a sense rom. You can delete all the Sense apps you want, but you cannot remove the sense skin from many apps such as messaging, phone, email, etc. The framework and apps are full of sense and you can't just delete it all.

When people refer to a vanilla rom, they are talking about one built from AOSP (Android Open Source Project). As a rough example, if you built a pure vanilla (aosp) froyo rom for the Incredible, it would be just like running a stock Droid rom. All the apps and framework are stock android.

3rd party roms are NOT "unstable and riddled with bugs". If you choose a reputable rom just like everyone else does, it is highly likely the rom will be just as stable as stock (especially for Sense roms). As for the bugs, if you choose a sense rom, there are likely to be very few bugs. And most of those bugs would be very minor things. For example, maybe the power toggles in the notification bar don't show the right state of a setting (for example vibrate) if you changed that settings from the settings app rather than the power bar. It's not buggy to the point where the rom crashes or things are unusable.

Stock Sense Roms - Very few minor bugs that shouldn't harm the functionality of the phone

New sense (Desire Z/HD) Roms - No 720p recording, some other minor bugs

AOSP (Vanilla Roms) - Varies on the Rom. Gingerbread roms are currently buggy. If you install a Froyo Vanilla rom there should be very little bugs.
Search tags for this page
hdromsno

root vs stock

root vs stock android phone

root vs stock phone
rooted htc one vs stock
stock s3 vs rooted