Stock vs. MotoBLUR

kiyanofosho

Reaction score
Ive been kind of switching back and forth between BLURless roms and BLUR roms, but I can never seem keep one or the other on my Droid 2 for more than a couple of days. So I though Id ask you guys, which do you prefer and why?

want a droid

Reaction score
I use matt's epic 2.5. Its got some of the blur removed which seems to make the phone faster and battery life improved.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

corydunbar

Reaction score
I don't have anything against Motoblur. It is very well thought out by the software engineers at Motorola and they did a good job with MotoBlur this time around. But Motoblur never runs as smooth as AOSP or HTC Sense for that matter. If Blur just flowed smoother i'd like it more. For example why does the unlock slider skip and bounce whereas AOSP is like butter on even inferior devices. But i do appreciate all of the added functionality that comes with Motoblur even if i don't use it all. there is probably someone out there that will. But I'd definitely want to remove the excess motoblur that i don't use. I am always trying to get more battery life (just like the rest of you), so why allow motoblur to pull data and run stuff in the background that you don't even want. So my preference is for a ROM that has motoblur trimmed down to only my preferable options and then replace the cutouts with AOSP .APKs.

for example i ported the ASOP CarHome and multimedia docks because they are smoother an do exactly what i want already.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Motoblur. It is very well thought out by the software engineers at Motorola and they did a good job with MotoBlur this time around. But Motoblur never runs as smooth as AOSP or HTC Sense for that matter. If Blur just flowed smoother i'd like it more. For example why does the unlock slider skip and bounce whereas AOSP is like butter on even inferior devices. But i do appreciate all of the added functionality that comes with Motoblur even if i don't use it all. there is probably someone out there that will. But I'd definitely want to remove the excess motoblur that i don't use. I am always trying to get more battery life (just like the rest of you), so why allow motoblur to pull data and run stuff in the background that you don't even want. So my preference is for a ROM that has motoblur trimmed down to only my preferable options and then replace the cutouts with AOSP .APKs.

the idea that the stuff running in the background is pulling a lot of battery is nonsense. I get the exact same battery life, if not better out of my D2 then I got compared to my D1.

If this stuff was using battery to any substantial degree it would show on your battery usage. And you never see it.

corydunbar

Reaction score
I'm not saying it takes a lot of battery, i just want to optimize my device to my style of usage. Every Kb pulled or pushed by unwanted motoblur features could be used somewhere else that i'd actual want to see. Yes i know that it wont be a recognizable change. But i am a big "penny pincher when it comes to battery life."
not to mention all it takes is root explorer and you being active enough to type .BAK

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it takes a lot of battery, i just want to optimize my device to my style of usage. Every Kb pulled or pushed by unwanted motoblur features could be used somewhere else that i'd actual want to see. Yes i know that it wont be a recognizable change. But i am a big "penny pincher when it comes to battery life."
not to mention all it takes is root explorer and you being active enough to type .BAK

The thing about flash memory is that it's powered no matter how it's being used. Memory that is half full still uses the same amount of juice as memory that is completely full (and unless you're running every app on yout phone at the same time, it wont be full).

Battery use comes from powering the screen, BT/WIFI/GPS hardware, and processing running apps. Android does a great job only processing the apps that are currently running (NOT CURRENTLY IN MEMORY, there is a difference).

I cant imagine a world where MotoBlur is causing ANY appreciable battery use, espcially because it's simply filling in for the functionality of another software package that does the same thing.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

The thing about flash memory is that it's powered no matter how it's being used. Memory that is half full still uses the same amount of juice as memory that is completely full (and unless you're running every app on yout phone at the same time, it wont be full).

Battery use comes from powering the screen, BT/WIFI/GPS hardware, and processing running apps. Android does a great job only processing the apps that are currently running (NOT CURRENTLY IN MEMORY, there is a difference).

I cant imagine a world where MotoBlur is causing ANY appreciable battery use, espcially because it's simply filling in for the functionality of another software package that does the same thing.

The only time it would consume extra battery is when it is constantly checking your social crap which it seems to do very often. I noticed slight battery life increase going from blur to my new ROM.

corydunbar

Reaction score
The only time it would consume extra battery is when it is constantly checking your social crap which it seems to do very often. I noticed slight battery life increase going from blur to my new ROM.

All that social crap is what i was talking about. I get that Motoblur is supposed to compete with Sense functionality, but i am not exactly a big fan of sense either. It doesn't need to be pulling garbage. The only reason i have facebook on my D2 is because i want updated pictures for my contacts. So i just settle for SyncMyPix w/ AOSP. then i avoid facebook.apk completely.

mjones1052

Reaction score
Blur, to me, is complete and utter garbage. Sorry to the Moto fans out there, but it really is. There are hundreds of apps that are better and nicer looking that do all the same stuff blur does, only blur can't be permanently stopped without hacking. I noticed a HUGE speed increase when going to Matt's and Angdroid's Fission ROM. Before, my D2 was slower than my D1 running Cyanogen ROM, with a much stronger processor and memory, now that it's running Fission, it is noticeably faster than my D1 was.

lintmail

Reaction score
Not a motoblur fan, but i will say their corporate email and active sync programs are a little better than stock. For one, it allows you to sync "all" emails rather than just "one" month. Unfortunately, if you keep bluremail then you have to use blurcontacts and some other stuff.

The moto dialer for D2 is also not too bad. I think this can be used without blur, however.

I was using Fission 1.0 for awhile but went with Green 2.4.5 super clean va pro (with D2 email) instead just because of the email package.

Gibbsinator

Reaction score
Not a motoblur fan, but i will say their corporate email and active sync programs are a little better than stock. For one, it allows you to sync "all" emails rather than just "one" month. Unfortunately, if you keep bluremail then you have to use blurcontacts and some other stuff.

The moto dialer for D2 is also not too bad. I think this can be used without blur, however.

I was using Fission 1.0 for awhile but went with Green 2.4.5 super clean va pro (with D2 email) instead just because of the email package.

I'm liking the Green 2.4.5. It's a LOT of what I want, but not quite everything. I don't have big problems with the Stock Droid 2, but it obviously has room for improvement. Namely bug fices :p I keep changing roms and missing the stock sticky notes :( Please leave this widget, it only means well, lol. Sticky notes apps in the market really aren't as good IMO. I do have problems with the stock D2 email, it's obviously not cutting it. But the stock SMS really does not bother me at all. Although currently my messages are coming in out of order, not sure what to attribute that too... I also kinda like the stock music app, the fact you can change volume, song, and play/pause WITHOUT unlocking the phone is a BIG plus IMO. Let's face it, you spend the most time LISTENING to your music, very little else matters. The music app and many other apps that are stock are integrated and FLOW well, with some of these things modified, moved, replaced, the phones starts to flow a little bit more uneven. That's my opinion, I want my phone to remain a tweaked Droid 2, not a Frankenstein Droid that is unorthodox.

My .02 :D

In the end I guess I like motoblur for the most part.

crome1115

Reaction score
well for me.. i tried using for my first rom the epic 2.5 and really liked it.. i dont have any use for the blur stuff myself but wanted to try something else and went with fission... loving the vanilla rom..im currently using the fission final 1.0 along with the newly ported over nextheme and launch pro plus and loving my device.. exactlly how i want it ..fast, smooth and the lp plus gives me those sense like widgets that i loved on my htc eris... just my 2cents..

anenigma

Reaction score
I'm running Fission 1.1 with NexTheme. Loving it. Wouldn't want it any other way.