Stock music player

prowler85

Reaction score
I don't stream but I've heard amazons music app is much better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I've heard that as well, but it won't play my music stored in my Google Music account, and Amazon only gives you like 5gb (and I have about 15gb of music). So it would cost me to use my Amazon account for that much music.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I've heard that as well, but it won't play my music stored in my Google Music account, and Amazon only gives you like 5gb (and I have about 15gb of music). So it would cost me to use my Amazon account for that much music.

I think if you buy an MP3 album you get bumped to 20GB for free. And any purchases don't count towards your storage limit. I have about 10GB of music on my Nexus but I stream music I bought from Amazon on my Xoom too. Works pretty well; I just don't use my Xoom for music that much so it wasn't worth loading a bunch of music onto it for me.

prowler85

Reaction score
I think if you buy an MP3 album you get bumped to 20GB for free. And any purchases don't count towards your storage limit. I have about 10GB of music on my Nexus but I stream music I bought from Amazon on my Xoom too. Works pretty well; I just don't use my Xoom for music that much so it wasn't worth loading a bunch of music onto it for me.

I've already bought 3 albums thru amazon that are on my cloud drive, and yeah they don't count toward my limit, but it still shows only 5gb available (lower left of picture). Unless there's something I have to do to get the extra storage, they didn't just give it to me. Though they should, since I have Prime, and come on, that would be a great perk.

View attachment 45799

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

That was only when it first came out. I took advantage of that offer but I just use Google Music now. I haven't had any of these problems. Sucks that it's not working for you guys though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

prowler85

Reaction score
That was only when it first came out. I took advantage of that offer but I just use Google Music now. I haven't had any of these problems. Sucks that it's not working for you guys though.

Well, I wouldn't say it's not working. It works, but the interface could be greatly improved. And it ties a lot of info and options to the album name stored in the ID3 tag, and personally I could care less about the album info. So most of mine say "Unknown Album", which it then groups all of those together as being on the same album. So it works, with issues.

Been playing with Amazon's MP3 player, and it's better, but not by much. Was looking at upgrading my storage, which would cost $20/year. What's kind of stupid is they have a "special" going on where you get 20gb for $20/year, but all mp3's don't count against your storage. So after spending the $20 and uploading I'd use practically none of my storage allotment. If their player was vastly better I'd do it as I'm sure I could find a use for all that storage space, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it.

So I'll get by on Google Music and hopefully they'll upgrade their player soon.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Does the stock player support gapless playback and cross fade yet? I went to powerAmp because I couldn't take it. It is amazing how little work Google puts into refinement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ksaul

Reaction score
I have been using VLC Direct Remote Pro.. its not a music player its a media player in general.

It plays all formats (audio and video) and also you can stream audio, video, and pictures from your PC->Phone and vice versa with ONE CLICK (if you have VLC media player on your computer). I use this option a lot and that's really why I got it.

(Pro version isn't free but there is a free version that has ads -- pm me if u want the Pro version APK that I have been using =P)

ksaul

Reaction score
Going to post the VLC media i spoke about above anyway ( I hope this doesn't break any rules...)

VLC Direct Pro 7.2 (Android)

Overview: No more file transfers! Stream and play Music and Videos anywhere you want! Requirements: Android OS 2.1 +

Easy and Powerful Media Client and Server Application. No Ads! No playback Limits!

This is the only application of the entire market that can stream videos and music in both ways:
* From Computer to Android
* From Android to Computer

With this application you can play music and videos in your computer's VLC or in your Android device. You don't have to worry where your files are stored -they can be in your android or in your computer-, VLC Direct Pro will take care of streaming when necessary.

* VLC remote control features: browse files, play, enqueue, pause, stop, volume, fullscreen, playlist and more. NEW FEATURE: SUBTITLES SUPPORT!!! (.srt files)

* SUPER EASY CONFIGURATION - JUST ONE CLICK AND YOU WILL BE READY TO GO!

* Only for advanced users: If you want to use VLC Direct Pro through remote networks these are the ports you will have to map in the routers:
* 8080 (VLC Web Interface)
* 4444 (Streaming from Android to VLC)
* 5554 (Streaming from VLC to Android)

What's in this version: VLC Direct Pro 7.2 (Android) Fast scroll support added in lists Fetch Playlist from VLC support added Current Item highligh in playlist Album art support added in fourth tab and internal player. Folders/Files sorting improved Automatic retry when buffering fails Bug fixes

Info: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vlcdirect.vlcdirectpro

Download: http://www.fileserve.com/file/euRrV5S/vc.rar
Password: _ADEt9E9haf@ex=degama+uGez

Last edited:

Big Ry

Reaction score
ZIMLY = best UI of any media player in the market...hands down.

It could use a few features, but by no means is it lacking in features

LuvMusic

Reaction score
PowerAmp for me! Now if they could only update it to support streaming music from Amazon or Google it would be perfect for me.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Do you have to use google music as your music player if all of your music is stored in the clouds???

LuvMusic

Reaction score
Do you have to use google music as your music player if all of your music is stored in the clouds???

That's my understanding. If you want to stream music from Google's cloud you have to use Google Music. If you want to stream music Amazon's cloud, you have to use their music player.

However, both players allow you to download your music onto your device (if you have purchased it or gotten it for free) and then you can use whatever music player you want. Of course then you are using your device's storage.

If there are other suggestions/options out there I'd be interested in learning about them too.

prowler85

Reaction score
That's my understanding. If you want to stream music from Google's cloud you have to use Google Music. If you want to stream music Amazon's cloud, you have to use their music player.

However, both players allow you to download your music onto your device (if you have purchased it or gotten it for free) and then you can use whatever music player you want. Of course then you are using your device's storage.

If there are other suggestions/options out there I'd be interested in learning about them too.

+1

I actually looked around at the various music players and none of them (that I could find) would play from Google or Amazon cloud drives. Sounds like an opportunity for some app maker out there if you ask me.