Status on Fixing the Sensor Issue

Reaction score
I was reading a bit of the Sensor Thread on here, and it sounded like they were getting close to fixing the sensor issue and making liberty fully work. Whats the status on that ? And once they do fix the sensor issue, does that mean that more ROMs can finally start being made ? cause it seems like that was the one thing holding us back from getting more Custom ROMS on the D2G

Reaction score
I was reading a bit of the Sensor Thread on here, and it sounded like they were getting close to fixing the sensor issue and making liberty fully work. Whats the status on that ? And once they do fix the sensor issue, does that mean that more ROMs can finally start being made ? cause it seems like that was the one thing holding us back from getting more Custom ROMS on the D2G

The thing that's holding back custom ROMs specifically for D2G is the 2nd set of radio hardware.

The sensors issue is what's keeping us from being able to use D2 ROMs on the D2G...

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
You mean, the GSM radio? Why would that cause a problem?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
Niceguys is right, The sensor issue is only related to porting D2 Roms to the D2G.

As for GSM radio causing issues...When porting a D2 rom to the d2g, many of the GSM settings are non included in the D2 settings menu. You have to manually change them in the test menu. Other hardware is different to so the D2G needs different drivers and kernel. It's "close enough" for the Romer to work, but not perfect.

The locked bootloader makes it nearly impossible to build a fully featured rom from google source, which is why nearly all roms for the D2 and DX are built off of stock Motoblur. If somebody wanted to take the time, they could do what Angdroid did and pull blur out of the Deodexed blur D2G rom and recreate an AOSP (stock google) looking rom. At that point you could add and remove features to build a custom rom (rotary lockscreen, a custom toolbox of some sort, etc). It's a tedious process, lots of trial and error, and the guys that truly know what their doing (Angdroid aside) dont seem to own the D2G.

Edit: Oh and to answer your initial question about the sensor issue...There are a few of us that are working on possible solutions. There are a ton of files to dig through and when you bootloop after changing each one, it can make that process take even longer.

Last edited:
OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Well isn't there a way to theme the rom so you can use stuff like the rotary lock screen and stuff? And are you saying that the problem with the GSM, is once you port the rom to the D2G the GSM wont work? Cause if that's the case, I wouldn't mind that, cause I don't ever plan on using the GSM band since I don't go out of country (I wish I did lol). Or is it impossible to make the phone fully work without both radio bands?

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
And dude, we should start like a donation fund and all of us that have D2G's, espeically those who are gonna be stuck with them til our next upgrades like myself, should put money into it and pay someone like angdroid to do that tedious process so that us D2G users can enjoy more fully custom ROMs, I mean I really am digging my Fission ROM, but now I want more, its addicting. I know some programming and some stuff about linux, but I'm not sure if any of that will help. But I really think we should just pay someone like angdroid to take the time to do it for us

Asphyx

Reaction score
Well isn't there a way to theme the rom so you can use stuff like the rotary lock screen and stuff? And are you saying that the problem with the GSM, is once you port the rom to the D2G the GSM wont work? Cause if that's the case, I wouldn't mind that, cause I don't ever plan on using the GSM band since I don't go out of country (I wish I did lol). Or is it impossible to make the phone fully work without both radio bands?

The problem with the radio is complex only because it has a HYBRID of two seperate radio systems. Both pretty much rely on the same files which means the files have to be capable of supporting both radios.

There are too few phone like this to draw information from so it makes it even harder when you can't see how someone else gets around the issue.

And if you are familiar with WM flashing at all you know that flashing a GSM phone with a CDMA radio gets you a nice paperweight.

If the D2G simply had one or the other (lets say GSM Only) then you could probably mash together a ROM using some other GSM Only rom as a starting point and simply replace a few .so files to get it to work.

If it was CDMA only then we would be flashing D2 roms right now!

The fact it has to know how to deal with a GSM radio and SIM card PLUS also be able to interface with the CDMA radio makes it a much more daunting task.

One that as BuryBoi stated could be easily solved if we could flash a custom Kernel.

CyanogenMod is capable of supporting all the various devices it does because they only have to write one framework and then include a custom Kernel for each model phone that is standardized to the Clockwork framework yet supports all the features of the phone.

In essence the CyanogenMod is no different than what a phone manufacturer would make for their phone.
Unfortunatly Moto decided not to let anyone else do that for their devices while others didn't really care.

If that bootloader should ever be unlocked then all the problems of Rom support would go away!

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Well how did we get fission to work, and aside from the sensor issue, liberty seems to work. So what happened there that made those work on the D2G? And how come people don't recreate whatever process aloud for fission to work, and make other roms? And like the guy who posted before me, he said, if you do what angdroid did, you could make custom roms for the D2G, but it was a tedious process, I say we pay people as incentive to figure this out, like I suggested in my previous post, set up a donation fund. Plenty of people donate money to like team defuse and other like them, so why not donate to the cause of making more custom ROMs for the D2G. Makes sense to me

Asphyx

Reaction score
Fission only replaced some system files but it is not much more than a Stock Moto ROM that has been deblurred, Deodexed (for theming) and some customized files in the system folder.

If you flash Liberty and then try to flash the Full Fission back you would see that Fission really doesn't contain much and wouldn't work without SBFing or Going back via flashing a Full Nandroid backup.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
I see. Well let's hope git r done is successful (which I have faith they will be) with not only fixing the sensor, but making the full asop rom they are working on, they seem pretty capable, and if people can figure out how to jailbreak iphones and PS3's and I believe the D2G issue will soon be fixed as well