Starting new with Verizon.....Droid X, D1 or wait for D2?

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
SO I have decided to cancel the 3rd line on my parents plan and pay the $130 ETF (thankful we started last October and the ETF isn't $350 :icon_ banana:)

So I am going to go into Verizon soon and do all of this.....start a new plan.....and get some type of Droid phone.

I am leaning towards Droid X but have always been resistant to go with a touch screen keyboard (I have had Blackberrys for years)

Droid 1....Kinda worried about some people saying their screen is loose feeling. one think I hate is a cheap feeling phone. But I am intrigued about all the rooting and customizing even though I am very new to it.....don't really know what I am doing there.

Droid 2 is about in the same boat as the D1.....I would hope the screen wouldn't feel loose. From the pics I have seen it looks like it is built better.

That is really all I know right now.....I guess they will all eventually run 2.2.

I guess it depends on how much learning/customizing I would want to do with the phones (endless with D1, Dx and D2....not sure if it can be done)

Thoughts?

haticK

Reaction score
there is really no reason to get a D1 other than the cheaper price. as far as D2/DX it depends if you can live without a physical keyboard and if you don't think the 4.3 inch screen makes the phone too big for your hands. i personally like having huge screens because it shows more and makes it pointless to have a physical keyboard. ive watched every single review of the DX on youtube and even the iphone fanboys love the keyboard and say its one of the easiest ones to type on.

OP
M

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
there is really no reason to get a D1 other than the cheaper price. as far as D2/DX it depends if you can live without a physical keyboard and if you don't think the 4.3 inch screen makes the phone too big for your hands. i personally like having huge screens because it shows more and makes it pointless to have a physical keyboard. ive watched every single review of the DX on youtube and even the iphone fanboys love the keyboard and say its one of the easiest ones to type on.

Thanks for the reply.

I may go by the Verizon store today and talk to them about the DX and when it should be expected (no chance they have them in stock right?)

Thanks

oc noob

Reaction score
Just got the X after having the droid since release and am quickly getting used to the virtual keyboard. Its really not as bad as I thought it would be.

That said, the biggest difference in builds besides the keyboard is the droid is a nice solid metal frame where the X is a solid plastic frame with a bot of a rubberized texture/feel. Its still very well built and I can't imagine the screen ever coming loose. Secondly, the droid is much smaller. It is more thick and heavier, but due to the much larger screen the X is large. I thought it might be a problem, but its thin enough to for in the pocket well and its great for games. Most games are touch screen controlled your thumbs don't get in the way nearly as much.

Find a friend with both and try a racing game or Nova and you will see the difference.

Honestly you should wait for the droid 2 and look at both in store. Get them in your hands and see how they feel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sevinwilson

Reaction score
Go with the X

I had a blackberry for years before switching to the Droid X. I dont miss the physical keyboard at all. I thought the touchscreen might be hard to get used to, but it has been easy. Go with the X

gpa

Reaction score
And lets not forget about the built in Swype application on the X. Ive started using it and I cant imagine going back to pecking on the keyboard again. Im getting so fast that I can beat my wife who uses a BB to type on speed wise. Go X.

avt123

Reaction score
The X is awesome. If you can deal with no physical keyboard, definitely get the X!

Rindaen

Reaction score
IMHO get what you can pick up in the store.

As someone that is trying to switch to Verizon, its been a pain ordering the X :( Last converstation with CS was that it Should be on the way.

OP
M

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
Well I just called the closest Verizon store and asked when they expect to get DX's in and he simply said "I don't know." He said you have to order it and we will see. I said well will it be best to order it in the store on online? He said online.

So no I am thinking about maybe going through wirefly. I have done zero research on in the past few years....any thoughts on Wirefly.

And what about the D@ hitting bestbuy on the 12th?

oc noob

Reaction score
The X is getting wiped out everywhere because of the early upgrade promotion. I think the D2 will be in stock pretty quickly after launch but they may run a promotion with that too. You never know. It will pretty much be a beefed up D1 so you can play with a droid in store a get a good idea of how it will fell. Do remeber they are cleaning up the keyboard as well as adding an interface with more widgets and fancier looking out of the box features. And the upgraded processor.

My wife left her beloved blackberry behind and loves the droid.

OP
M

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
The X is getting wiped out everywhere because of the early upgrade promotion. I think the D2 will be in stock pretty quickly after launch but they may run a promotion with that too. You never know. It will pretty much be a beefed up D1 so you can play with a droid in store a get a good idea of how it will fell. Do remeber they are cleaning up the keyboard as well as adding an interface with more widgets and fancier looking out of the box features. And the upgraded processor.

My wife left her beloved blackberry behind and loves the droid.

I am pretty much dead set on getting the Droid X but still trying to decide if I want to get I through Verizon or Wirefly. I think I will get it a lot sooner if I get it through Wirefly.

Now the thing is.....since I am going to cancel off my family share plan and start my own plan with Verizon, will I be able to use my old number? I know you can port numbers through Wirefly but how would the cancellation of the old family share plan line go down?

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
When you have your number ported it automatically deactivates your other phone. As far as fees though you will be responsible yourself for taking care of those later. You old company will send you a final bill

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk

OP
M

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
When you have your number ported it automatically deactivates your other phone. As far as fees though you will be responsible yourself for taking care of those later. You old company will send you a final bill

Yes....I am going to have to pay a $130 ETF.

Should their be a problem porting a number from Verizon to Verizon?

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
Also if you are looking to customize then the D1 is the phone for you. If you like android the way verizon releases it with no real added features to the os then yes the Dx is an awesome phone. As far as the virtual keyboard goes that's what I always use on my D1 and it works great. The biggest problem I have is the auto correction which has nothing to do with the keyboard. Also as far as it being a cheap feeling phone it is quite the opposite. The only thing and I mean the only thing I don't like about my D1 is the CPU. I would rather have a 1ghz stock overclocked to 1.25ghz than a 550mhz overclocked to 1.1ghz.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
Go to Verizon store with the account holder and have your line transferred into your name