Squaretrade v. Asurion

slinky

Reaction score
I'm wondering what thoughts are here between the two. Always had no major questions from Asurion who even upgraded my phone to a newer model if no old models were available. Overnight shipping free, was pretty good. But now I have a $100 deductible too. Makes me wonder how long it pays to have insurance. Two years worth puts the cost at $300. Haven't used SquareTrade before and wonder if it's a bigger hassle to deal with them. $50 deductible instead of $99. As I'm now 2.5 weeks in, don't have much time to decide as I think it's a 30 day from purchase option.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
If the phone isn't available Asurion will sometimes give you a lesser phone ie OG droid being replaced w/ the Droid failris (ERIS). I'm not sure if square would do that, personally I don't bother with either cause i've never dropped/lost or have had a phone stolen. I'd try other forums or google if you can't find any results here and see what others say about asurion vs squaretrade.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
If the phone isn't available Asurion will sometimes give you a lesser phone ie OG droid being replaced w/ the Droid failris (ERIS). I'm not sure if square would do that, personally I don't bother with either cause i've never dropped/lost or have had a phone stolen. I'd try other forums or google if you can't find any results here and see what others say about asurion vs squaretrade.
I received that offer but they agreed to replace my Droid with an Incredible, which worked out well. Some people will accept the lesser phone so they first ask and, if the person is unfortunately not educated, they will accept. But they will provide equal or greater.

I've looked at other sites. Apparently Asurion protects against loss/theft. I've had a phone stolen once in an odd circumstance. Other than that never had it lost but wonder about damage. It can happen if your're a constantly mobile person as I am.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
I am pretty much on the go cept when I'm the office. I go out a lot as well, so I do understand the fear of theft. I personally have never delt w/ square trade, but with Asurion as long as you pay the deductible you'll be set no questions asked.

iRenegade

Reaction score
I researched this exact comparison. Asurion will cover everything including accidental damage or loss.square trade is a warranty and not insurance. As the OP covered, I'm keeping tabs post on the cost factor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Mohawk3

Reaction score
I researched this exact comparison. Asurion will cover everything including accidental damage or loss.square trade is a warranty and not insurance. As the OP covered, I'm keeping tabs post on the cost factor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Squaretrade also has accidental damage coverage for phones, but there is a deductible, which I believe to be less than Asurion's deductible. I have me OG Droid and my wife's Incredible covered with them. I have both are laptops covered and my ps3. I added the laptop accidental damage coverage to her laptop and when my kid (less than 2 at the time) broke it, I got the money (minus the accidental damage deductible) without any problems and was able to get a new laptop relatively quickly.

I am a big fan of Squaretrade. If you sign up for their email specials, they frequently send out 1 day 30% off coupons and 20% discounts on their coverage.

bhall238

Reaction score
So the deductable is $100 now? I know someone who dropped her phone and then drove over it because she did not realize it was dropped. It was a $50.00 deductable then (maybe a year or so ago). I've been lucky but have Assurian too, but I never heard about the increase.

Mohawk3

Reaction score
So the deductable is $100 now? I know someone who dropped her phone and then drove over it because she did not realize it was dropped. It was a $50.00 deductable then (maybe a year or so ago). I've been lucky but have Assurian too, but I never heard about the increase.

If I am not mistaken, the deductible went up either around the time of the OG Droid launch or the Incredible launch along with the insurance rate from when I had it on my storm. That is why I made the switch to using Squaretrade.

Fullstop

Reaction score
I used to work for Asurion repairing laptops. We were made to go and get parts out of big e-waste gaylords and hunt for parts if it was common, like a power connector, and even memory and cmos batteries and more, we would also have to root through the plastics waste to look for pieces. This all had to take place before we could order the part from the parts cage. The parts there were all preused. When I worked in Harvest, if it wasn't infested with biowaste (mice droppings or nests - I even found a host of roaches in one notebook and dead mice babies in a desktop ) or just too old, we had to take it to parts and bag and tag it. Some of them were filthy and we would toss them when we really shouldn't because there is a good chance it wouldn't last too long after it started it's new life in the new system. To say the customer was getting re-refurbished computer parts to repair theirs is an understatement.

I've seen whole system's ran over by a forklift by accident, and they had to hunt for three days to get another one, and then they switches out the serial numbers with a heatgun. CoA too. They installed a new copy of windows on it and bam. Sent it off.

We were to hit a certain quota each day. We were pretty much threatened to "beat" it. It wasn't a fair quota either. It wouldn't allow for quality over quantity.

I do not know how they do with their cell phone division, but laptops was a cluster. If you had any shred of self respect, check it at the door. You do what you need to to get your paycheck. You do it as best as you can, but you better not fall behind.

I have mine and my wife's insured with our homeowners insurance.

Fullstop

Reaction score
I used to work for Asurion repairing laptops. We were made to go and get parts out of big e-waste gaylords and hunt for parts if it was common, like a power connector, and even memory and cmos batteries and more, we would also have to root through the plastics waste to look for pieces. This all had to take place before we could order the part from the parts cage. The parts there were all preused. When I worked in Harvest, if it wasn't infested with biowaste (mice droppings or nests - I even found a host of roaches in one notebook and dead mice babies in a desktop ) or just too old, we had to take it to parts and bag and tag it. Some of them were filthy and we would toss them when we really shouldn't because there is a good chance it wouldn't last too long after it started it's new life in the new system. To say the customer was getting re-refurbished computer parts to repair theirs is an understatement.

I've seen whole system's ran over by a forklift by accident, and they had to hunt for three days to get another one, and then they switches out the serial numbers with a heatgun. CoA too. They installed a new copy of windows on it and bam. Sent it off.

We were to hit a certain quota each day. We were pretty much threatened to "beat" it. It wasn't a fair quota either. It wouldn't allow for quality over quantity.

I do not know how they do with their cell phone division, but laptops was a cluster. If you had any shred of self respect, check it at the door. You do what you need to to get your paycheck. You do it as best as you can, but you better not fall behind.

I have mine and my wife's insured with our homeowners insurance.

Knowing this, you trust them with your house?

I guess I worded that wrong, sorry.... Let me rephrase that with a resounding "Heeeeelllllllll Naw!!!" and say that we have insurance through allstate.

Last edited:

iRenegade

Reaction score
Squaretrade also has accidental damage coverage for phones, but there is a deductible, which I believe to be less than Asurion's deductible. I have me OG Droid and my wife's Incredible covered with them. I have both are laptops covered and my ps3. I added the laptop accidental damage coverage to her laptop and when my kid (less than 2 at the time) broke it, I got the money (minus the accidental damage deductible) without any problems and was able to get a new laptop relatively quickly.

I am a big fan of Squaretrade. If you sign up for their email specials, they frequently send out 1 day 30% off coupons and 20% discounts on their coverage.

Mohawk is right, they do cover accidental damage. but not loss and theft.

Android Warranty | Cell Phone Insurance Alternative | Mobile Phone Protection | SquareTrade Warranties

iRenegade

Reaction score
https://www.mobiledeviceprotection.com/

I dropped my phone the other day and the only thing Ive had to pay for has been the cost to mail it to them. Cost a bit more because I got insurance on the package as well as a confirmation. I can tell you right now, Asurion can kiss my arse before I ever give them one more red cent. Ive had NO hassles with MDPA. They were quick to approve my claim, but the downside is that you do have to mail it in. They do say however that it will take 24-48 hours to mail back out. Fine by me, Ive got my env3 as backup. So this works for me.

Did I mention NO DEDUCTIBLE?

Please post a follow-up on your experience! The reviews on thes links are deterring me from giving it a try. When I try to find out info, their website is requiring me to register first. Thanks!
Reviews for Mobile Device Protection Association, LLC - Cellular Telephone Equipment, Parts, and Supplies Wholesale - Fort Lauderdale, FL

http://www.my3cents.com/productReview.cgi?company=Mobile+Device+Protection

Last edited: