sprint vs. verizon

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I used around 7.5GB over the past billing period and wasn't throttled at all. Maybe it's because I don't make a habit of it, just been doing alot of large game downloads this past month and wasn't near wifi for the most part (can't stand connecting to wifi at work, as it's throttled and way slower than 4G). Still speedtesting at upwards of 20Mbps at the end of the period.
Good God,VZW would LOVE for me to go over my 4gigs with that number.Ill be on a corner with a sign that says;"Will work too pay off overage." :D

alboboy10

Reaction score
What about T-Mobile. What's wrong with them.

I wanna get rid of Verizon as well.

ryanr509

Reaction score
Just check the coverage in your area. Most bigger cities probly have pretty decent coverage with all the big 4 carriers. The main difference i noticed between sprint and Verizon was speed. Building when I'm at work i still get 4/5 bars on Verizon where on sprint i would go down to 1-2 bars when i was inside. And also like going over passes or mountain roads Verizon has better coverage. In my town and surrounding towns they both had good signal strength

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know I'm throttled after about 3gb on Verizon. It's been going on for at least 6 months now. My wife can be sitting right next to me and we can download the same youtube video and hers will stream through without a problem, mine takes forever to load. Same with webpages etc. She rarely uses 3-4 gb a month, I average 7-8. When my cycle starts over each month I notice a huge increase in speed.

**tap'n**
Could it just be that you might have some issues with the phone and not the network.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
maybe it's just me... but it seems that people might be getting network optimization confused with actual throttling...

throttling.. done on the phone level... i don't agree with... and i don't like...

network optimization... just makes sense... slow some people's speeds down while the tower is under a heavy load... when the load lightens... the speeds will increase

i don't know... but that's just what things seem like to me

diablo81588

Reaction score
maybe it's just me... but it seems that people might be getting network optimization confused with actual throttling...

throttling.. done on the phone level... i don't agree with... and i don't like...

network optimization... just makes sense... slow some people's speeds down while the tower is under a heavy load... when the load lightens... the speeds will increase

i don't know... but that's just what things seem like to me

That's the main reason why some people get throttled and others don't. It depends on the area your in and how crowded the network is. If you live in a crowded city your chances are greater that you will get throttled. Verizon's website has a great write up about the difference between throttling and network optimization. Google it and it should come up. They only "throttle" when the network is congested.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Inktownlegend

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that vzw only throttled 3g phones and not phones on their lte network. And even if you use a lot of bandwidth they only throttle you when the tower you are using has a lot of traffic. So theoretically if you had a 3g phone and started in a sparsely populated area with unlimited data you could use hundreds of gigs a month and never be throttled. With my droid x and x2 i hit 30 gigs a few times and was never throttled and if it was it was still a lot faster than other peoples' phones around me. I average between 30 and 60 gigs a month and I haven't ever been throttled on 4g.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

diablo81588

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that vzw only throttled 3g phones and not phones on their lte network.

Correct. They only throttle 3g phones on unlimited data plans.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Correct. They only throttle 3g phones on unlimited data plans.

Incorrect...I'm currently being throttled on my Galaxy Nexus because I live in a 3G area. Every month once I hit 2GB, my speeds crawl.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
thanks for ur input folks ....

i thought id try out cm9 to see how it runs. im getting 3g bandwidth where it should be (~1.5Mbps). not sure what the issue was but something about cm7.1 was causing my data to run slow (could be the kernel or radio, not sure).

so with cm9 rc, my data connection is good and im at about 2GB of use, about 1/2 way thru my bill cycle ....

there are some interesting comments about sprint that make me think twice ... didnt know they were that bad

---
posted via android

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
by saying 'throttling' i meant 'network optimization' .... is there another form of bottlenecking employed by verizon other than this ?

they also said that 4g is not affected, is this the case ?

---
posted via android

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
by saying 'throttling' i meant 'network optimization' .... is there another form of bottlenecking employed by verizon other than this ?

they also said that 4g is not affected, is this the case ?

---
posted via android

If your phone is a 4G phone AND is connected to the LTE network (on 4G at the time) then you will not be throttled (network optimized) for any reason. However, if you have a 4G phone and are in a 3G area AND have exceeded 2GB data usage during your billing cycle, your speeds can be throttled.

diablo81588

Reaction score
Incorrect...I'm currently being throttled on my Galaxy Nexus because I live in a 3G area. Every month once I hit 2GB, my speeds crawl.

Will I be affected by Network Optimization? Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:

A data customer on an unlimited data plan;

Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and

Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Then, you will only be affected:

When you are on the 3G network; and

When you are connected to a congested cell site.

It appears they've clarified this since I last read it. Let me rephrase. You will not be throttled if you are connected to
a LTE tower. I guess if you aren't in a 4g area your still getting throttled. :(

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
It appears they've clarified this since I last read it. Let me rephrase. You will not be throttled if you are connected to
a LTE tower. I guess if you aren't in a 4g area your still getting throttled. :(

Network Optimization

Yep. Which sucks really hard. I go to a large college and the towers around here are completely full so even when I'm not being optimized, I only get 0.8 down speeds. You don't even want to know what I get when I'm being optimized...lol.