4G question ....

zero7404

Reaction score
i currently have a 3G unlimited plan with verizon, if i want to buy a 4G phone to use with my current service, is that possible ?

been looking @ the galaxy nexus lately, but if verizon forces me to switch to a 4G tiered plan just to get a SIM card for the phone then i likely wont bother with a 4G phone ....

sent via android

Scimino

Reaction score
I upgraded from a 3g to a 4g..... I bought my bionic on craigslist, went to a verizon store, bought a sim card and still have the same unlimited data plan.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

forumjunkie44

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to pay for a sim card. I gave my mom my RAZR because I got another one and took it to the Verizon store to activate it and they did it for free. She had a DROIDX. Unlimited data plan and tethering $60 a month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
I upgraded from a 3g to a 4g..... I bought my bionic on craigslist, went to a verizon store, bought a sim card and still have the same unlimited data plan.

did you have an unlimited data plan before you got the SIM card from Verizon ? in that case, they offered you 4G unlimited for the same cost as 3G unlimited, or are you paying more now ?

i also thought the SIM card was free, how much did you pay for the card ?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They won't switch you, you should be grandfathered to an unlimited 4g plan.

edit: you'd pay the same price as you do for 3g now

BAMA74

Reaction score
As long as you don't never change your data plan it'll remain unlimited 3g/4g.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

You bought a SIM card? Must not have been a corporate store. Corporate stores give them out for free if you have a device that requires one.

Scimino

Reaction score
Yes they made me pay $10 for the card. And yes i had 3g unlimited now 4g unlimited, however I am on a family plan with 2 other lines. On the other 2 lines two dx2's are being used. The bill is still the same. And no i didnt goto a corp store.

davoIII

Reaction score
I use to work in a call center 4 Verizon, u keep Ur data package, some times people will mess up & may drop Ur unlimited, just call in as long as as its within 14 days to get it. So if u have unlimited then go basic phone u lose Ur unlimited in 14 days unless u activate a smart phone again. So even if the smart phone doesn't work activate it any ways to reset the 14 day clock

davoIII

Reaction score
O and @ a direct store Sim cards r free & u can call in & get 1 mailed to u

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For you two who upgraded to 4g, was it an official upgrade? As in renewal of contract or was it you bought a 4g phone from somewhere else and had to get a SIM for it?

Scimino

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info.....yea what happened was i had a droid inc over the summer but broke it. My line was suspended the whole time. Then i got the bionic a few months ago. I didnt even realize verizon dropped their unlimited plan till a few weeks ago.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The sim card is free, I switched from my Incredible to the Rezound, I bought it, went into a verizon store, they put in a sim card and activated my new phone, I had an unlimited data plan and that did not change, and I am still good for an upgrade.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
so, just to summarize, if i have an unlimited data plan, and i get a 4G phone, verizon will roll the plan over for the same price and give me 4G speed ?

the galaxy nexus is a pretty nice phone, but google's latest strides in trying to implement ads based on ppl's voice conversations likely means that the nexus would be one of the first to get an update to implement that into the phone. unless Samsung has any bearing on OS and updates pushed to this device ....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
so, just to summarize, if i have an unlimited data plan, and i get a 4G phone, verizon will roll the plan over for the same price and give me 4G speed ?

the galaxy nexus is a pretty nice phone, but google's latest strides in trying to implement ads based on ppl's voice conversations likely means that the nexus would be one of the first to get an update to implement that into the phone. unless Samsung has any bearing on OS and updates pushed to this device ....
yes.