1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Speech to text

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by tlpowers, Nov 11, 2009.

1. tlpowers

tlpowers New Member

Is anyone aware of a Droid app that allows you to convert speech to text for use in data entry?
  2. Baconstrip

Baconstrip New Member

That would be really nice to incorporate into text messaging so I wouldnt have to text while driving! ;)
  3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

i agree. but as i found out the hard way, verizon doesn't allow more than 160 characters to other carriers :mad:
  4. homemadehitshow

homemadehitshow New Member

Handcent app does it perfectly for text messaging.

I want it for other stuff like emails etc and market searches.
  5. russwhite

russwhite New Member

I am using Handcent Sms for speech-to-text for sms messages. Not perfect, but probably better than I can type. Russ
  6. ktfoley

ktfoley New Member

Talk to me Keyboard works great. You can convert speech to text in both txt messages and gmail. Works great with hanscent texting.

It's more accurate if you speak succinctly in a almost robotic voice. Doesn't take any time to figure it out.

This takes the phone to the next level. Way beyond voice searching google, or searching contacts.

if anybody finds a way to play media by voice, lmk.
  7. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Good info, this is what I was looking for!
  8. Ted

Ted New Member

I'll second the Talk to me Keyboard app - been using it a while and it works very well. If words are really uncommon, it has issues, but generally it works well. Does better with longer words than very short words (opposite of typing!).

I just speak naturally - using inflection, etc. Check out the settings for customizing - new version has a few options that may suit you better.
  9. Utzz

Utzz New Member

For texting while driving, Handcent's built in speech-to-text works fine for me. Doesn't always spell names correctly, but phonetically they're fine.

Example:
    I say "Stacy", it writes "Stacey".
  10. Droider

Droider New Member

How about a speech to text app that will detect if you are overly angry or stressed or even drunk and then delay any texts or emails until you have cooled off or sobered up and then verify if you still want to send those messages to your boss or ex?
  11. tlpowers

tlpowers New Member

Hey All,

Thanks for the input. I've download and tried both Speech-To-Text and Talk-To-Me software apps. I have to say I like to Talk to Me better. It presents you with four options as to what it thought you said. It seems to understand what I'm saying about 95% of the time. Which is significantly better then I can type on the small key boards.
  12. tlpowers

tlpowers New Member

Hey All,

Thanks for the input. I've download and tried both Speech-To-Text and Talk-To-Me software apps. I have to say I like to Talk to Me better. It presents you with four options as to what it thought you said. It seems to understand what I'm saying about 95% of the time. Which is significantly better then I can type on the small key boards.
  13. rjksa

rjksa New Member

Thanks for the app suggestions for speech to text. I will take a look at the 2 that were mentioned.
  14. chomorro

chomorro New Member

Why are the reviews not so great on both these apps. You guys should post reviews on there :). Average Joe like me might stay away from them thinking only 3 stars, but then i find this awesome site lol. Trying the free one first....

Ok maybe im not understanding here. I read this FaQ http://www.handcent.com/Faq.php#TAG_SPEEKSMS and i installed Handcent SMS and TTS Library. All i can get it to do is read my text messages to me. How do i get it to translate my voice to text??

Thanks in advance
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  15. rjksa

rjksa New Member

I downloaded the .99 Talktome keyboard. I was very happy with the quality. The one item it (or the SMS app) did was remove the display of the suggested words that you are typing. For someone that is a S-L-O-W typer, i liked that feature. However, back to the speech to text, TalkToMe Keyboard for .99 has been great.
  16. griz8791

griz8791 New Member

I had the same problem and initially thought I hadn't installed it correctly.

This app has a LOT of options. You need to go into the settings and scroll way, way down through the almost interminable options. Near the bottom is an entire group of settings labeled "speech." I found one or more of those unchecked, and after enabling them found I had a microphone icon in my compose-text window.
  17. chomorro

chomorro New Member

Thanks i was so confused lol. I ended getting talk to me keyboatd but now im goong to try handsent

I just checked and i think the settongs you are referring to are for reading texts outloud.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  18. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy New Member

I downloaded it, pretty good, not bad at all.
  19. chomorro

chomorro New Member

with talk to me keyboard is there a way to have text predict enabled still? Im evem worse at typing now lol
  20. wegriffith3

wegriffith3 New Member

Went down to the bottom, found the "speech" label, but only box I can check/uncheck is which TTS I use. Can't seem to get the micropone icon to display in my compose-text window. Any ideas??
Search tags for this page

droid speech to text

droid voice to text

hiw to get speaking text on verizon drod
how to find text to speak on motorola droid ultra
moto x setup text speaking to spell words
speech to text app for droid
talk to text app for droid
talk to text droid
talk to text droid app
text to speech apps for droid
verizon speech to text