Sound is too loud

Brandon capecci

Reaction score
I just got a droid for christmas and the sound makes it almost unusable for media I'm not playing with the intention of having others listen. Coming from an iphone the difference is considerable. I heard that the phone was supposed to be to quiet as well? Hmmm. Anyway can I decrease the volume to below the minimum of 1/15? I want this to apply to the phone in general so it applies to sound in every application eg pandora.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Im not sure I understand your question ... you do know you can turn the volume up and down? You can turn the volume down to nothing if you want.

I'm sure I just don’t understand your question.

donballz

Reaction score
Try Volume Master in the Market. In addition to Media Volume which you are controlling, there is System Volume that you can get at with that app.

Good luck, but I think you're crazy, this phone isn't too loud.

scf

Reaction score
if anything, the phone tends to be too damned quiet.

"I tried calling you, but you ignored me."
You didn't call, wait I'll show you......Wut? Ok, so you did call me but I didn't hear it.
"Yeah, sure. What were YOU doing?"
Huh? Wait...No. Damn.

Reaction score
I use AudioGuru for all my separate volume settings. Might be worth looking into.

yukmizzee

Reaction score

You didn't call, wait I'll show you......Wut? Ok, so you did call me but I didn't hear it.
Huh? Wait...No. Damn.

Right??, Like everyday same scenario for me as well. = ( Damn un-trusting women:icon_eek:

NickDG

Reaction score
The OP is the first I've heard say the DX is too loud. I can hardly hear an incoming call . . .

:)

OP
B

Brandon capecci

Reaction score
Well I've tried downloading several audio programs but all they do is provide a nice gui for the default volume setting. In other words, the options to set the volume is within 0-15. I agree that the phone really isn't too loud during in call or alerts, I use my phone in bed and it's loud enough to wake up in nearby rooms. Anyways, the only volume setting that really applies to me is the media setting. I really need to find a way to make it like .5 out of 15. If anybody knows an app or a hack to make it do this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm on 2.2 by the way.

Reaction score
Have you tried taking it into a VZ store? I honestly think that there's something wrong with it if the media volume it too loud at level 1. You really should be barely able to hear it on level 1 and that's if it's right at your face. I would take it back to where it was bought and get it replaced.

It really is a great phone, I just think you got a lemon.

cjriddle22

Reaction score

Huh? Wait...No. Damn.

Right??, Like everyday same scenario for me as well. = ( Damn un-trusting women:icon_eek:

+1 to both of you.

I have noticed that if the back of my phone is against something (like sitting next to me on the arm rest) I can't hear it at all. It's not the greatest location for the speaker, but I guess there really isn't a better place to put it. Oh well, vibration for everything is nice too.

If you think your X is too loud, you should have been around in the 2.1 days when I could barely hear it right next to my face.

If the volume is too loud and people near you can hear your media, have you thought about headphones? Mine come in very handy.

LMF

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
s3
Look [everyone]...this is a real problem. I am a stroke survivor and certain types of sounds are perceived so loud they hurt...even when others barely notice. Instead of [making light of the issue, please try to] answer the question intelligently (deleted). I am looking for a free app that will turn volume up or down in very tiny increments.

Post edited by staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dear LMF, I am not sure if you are aware, but you are replying to a thread that was last responded to in January of 2011, 4 years ago last Monday. In fact, of all the members who participated in this thread, only one has been active here in the past year.

If you are having trouble with your phone such that you can't get to a comfortable volume level, between being too loud and too soft, unfortunately you may be faced with moving to a different phone model. These are digital devices, and usually the volume incremental changes are a product of limitations built into the hardware chips that amplify the audio for the speakers.

In other words, there may be perhaps 10 or 15 incremental volume levels, and each one may be a certain percentage higher or lower than the previous or next, but there may be no way to change any one increment to obtain a smaller change in the perceived volume.

I do know of apps that can "amplify" the volume by a certain amount, so that phones which are not loud enough can be made louder, but not all phones work with all apps, and some phones can not work with any. It is possible that you could combine a volume "booster" and go with a lower volume setting to accomplish a "in-between" volume level. I would suggest you exercise extreme care given your situation if you choose to experiment in this way. You could potentially cause even greater discomfort if you were to accidentally increase the volume significantly and be unaware until it's too late.

Thank you.

FoxKat, DroidForums.net Staff