Songs for text messages

CityLightsOZ

Reaction score
Hello, this is the first android phone that I've had this problem on. I want to set an .mp3 song as a text message alert.. I've tried moving the songs into the notifications folder when I connect it to my computer and they still don't show up. Am I missing something?

timrock

Reaction score
Hello, this is the first android phone that I've had this problem on. I want to set an .mp3 song as a text message alert.. I've tried moving the songs into the notifications folder when I connect it to my computer and they still don't show up. Am I missing something?

you can either use ringdroid to create a ringtone from a song, or you can go into the settings and go to Select Ringtone, choose Select Music. find the song and choose it. no need to move songs around.

tatuud

Reaction score

try going into the text app itself, settings/notifications/choose your specific one. if you put the mp3 into the notifications file on your sd card it should show up there. if it not there than i would move the entire notifications folder into your media file, which should already be on your sd card.

OP
CityLightsOZ

CityLightsOZ

Reaction score

you can either use ringdroid to create a ringtone from a song, or you can go into the settings and go to Select Ringtone, choose Select Music. find the song and choose it. no need to move songs around.

I work for Verizon.. I know how to set a ringtone. This is not the same set of instructions for setting a ringtone for a Text Message Alert. But thank you.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

I work for Verizon.. I know how to set a ringtone. This is not the same set of instructions for setting a ringtone for a Text Message Alert. But thank you.
Whether you work for Verizon or not, is of no concern...we are just trying to help...

Allow me to try to help if I can...

Using the stock text messaging app, do the following and see if it works...

1) Open the text messaging app...

2) Click the Hard Menu button on the bottom left of the phone(4 squares)

3) Select "Messaging Settings"

4) Scroll down to Text Messaging Settings

5) Select "Select Ringtone" and click the ringtone you want to use.

Now, if you do this and do not see the particular ringtone you want, you need to make sure it is in the "/sdcard/media/audio/notifications" folder on your SD card. To make sure of this, you can plug your phone in via USB, making sure you are in Mass Storage mode, and copying the ringtone to that folder...then go back and redo steps 1-5....

Try that and see if it works and let us know....

OP
CityLightsOZ

CityLightsOZ

Reaction score
I figured out that .mp3 files cannot be used for text message alerts. They have to be in .m4a format.. Then they show up perfectly. But thank you for your help.

fertig 70

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to edit the master ringtone list? In the process of editing mp3's with ringtone editing apps, there are some ringtones that have showed up on the list that I can not get rid of. There is even a stock tone that has taken on the name of one of the mp3's that I added. I have tried accessing my files and deleting them that way but no luck.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I figured out that .mp3 files cannot be used for text message alerts. They have to be in .m4a format.. Then they show up perfectly. But thank you for your help.

That's totally NOT true. I have MANY sounds in all media folders, including "Notifications" that are in mp3 format, and they work just fine. ;)

Porterhouse0

Reaction score

That's totally NOT true. I have MANY sounds in all media folders, including "Notifications" that are in mp3 format, and they work just fine. ;)

Lol I second this...not sure what they are seeing :p

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

fertig 70

Reaction score
I had mp3's set as a ringtone and as a notification, a short while later they were gone. The names still show up in the ringtone list but the sound that plays if a default tone. I used ring droid to set them.

timrock

Reaction score
He works for verizon so it must be true. Lol

Lol I second this...not sure what they are seeing :p

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Well, that can't be right..every ringtone I use on my phone that I have made or downloaded is in
.mp3 format...all of them!