Some app disabling the phone's microphone?

Cazzin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V10
I had a LG G2 for a few years. Last year I installed lots of children apps on it to keep our todder busy during trips. At some point, the phone's mic stopped working properly. When I made a call, I could hear the other party but they couldn't hear me, unless I switched to "Speaker" mode. So I figured its an old phone and the mic broke or something and just shrugged it off and whenever I got a call or made a call I used "Speaker" mode which was kinda inconvenient but tolerable.

Anyway fast forward to last week, my toddler dropped the phone and I had to get a new one. I bought a LG V10. I tested it and everything was working fine. I spent like the whole week installing and configuring all the apps he likes (is like more than a 100 apps). Anyway today I made some calls from the phone and same story, mic not working except when in "speaker" mode. So it's got to be one of the apps.

Any way to fix it without having to uninstall all the apps or do a factory reset or something? I don't want to spend another whole week on those apps again. Also how can an app be allowed to disable the mic like that?

OP
C

Cazzin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V10
You might be able to looks at the apps permissions to narrow it down

Tapped from a Nexus 6

How do I do that?

Also wanted to add that obviously there is no app running when I'm making a call. So whichever app it is, it permanently disabled the microphone somehow

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
With over 100 installed there is no real easy way to figure out which one it is. Being that the same thing happened on 2 different phones, it must be an app that was installed on both phones.

As you are installing / downloading apps from the Play Store you should see a little pop up alerting you what Permissions the app is requesting. One of those apps requested permission to use the phone Mic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CJM

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Did you ever get this resolved?
I had a weird issue with my phone pop up a couple of months ago. The WiFi started acting up. With each app, I would uninstall, restart and proceed until I found the culprit. Of course, I started with the obvious apps, but in the end, the guilty app was my CVS app, which I would have never thought would mess with WiFi.
Good luck, if you are still struggling.