Solution: Windows XP SP2 (and lower) problem with USB tethering

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
:welcome: Try doing what I did in post # 12 above or you could just install SP3 from Windows update.

good luck

komal

Reaction score
:welcome: Try doing what I did in post # 12 above or you could just install SP3 from Windows update.

good luck

i downloaded the tetherxp.inf file as well. i am following all the steps, but when i try to install tetherxp.inf on my PC, it says

"the specified location does not have information about your hardware".

what should i do i m running xp sp2

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
The tetherxp.inf file is not the solution, the Windows hotfix is. Please carefully re-read the OP:

Initially the problem manifests itself as the XP machine asking for drivers when the Tether option is enabled on the connected phone. The answer to that has been documented (PDF archive) already -- use tetherxp.inf (alternate link) to tell XP how to use the driver files (that it already has) for the tether. The problem is - unless you've [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]installed[/COLOR][/COLOR] a device at some point whose drivers included an updated set of Remote NDIS (RNDIS) drivers, this will fail on XP SP2 and lower. It will appear to work up until the end of the driver installation whereupon the New Hardware Wizard will report "The device cannot start. (Code 10)".

If followed carefully and exactly, Motocahe1's guides are flawless. If you having a problem, I'm sorry to say, it is because you are not properly follwing his instructions. I suggest you print it out and carefully follow each procedure, checking it off as you go.

good luck

komal

Reaction score
The tetherxp.inf file is not the solution, the Windows hotfix is. Please carefully re-read the OP:

If followed carefully and exactly, Motocahe1's guides are flawless. If you having a problem, I'm sorry to say, it is because you are not properly follwing his instructions. I suggest you print it out and carefully follow each procedure, checking it off as you go.

good luck

Thanks alot dear for your help and support the matter is resolved now by upgrading my system to sp3.

ncdtkrts

Reaction score
I have the same problem and am looking for a solution in the end since this morning, will try to post it here tomorrow, I hope that I found useful:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I have the same problem and am looking for a solution in the end since this morning, will try to post it here tomorrow, I hope that I found useful:

??? This whole thread is the solution. Any question is answered right here in the OP.

hy55droid

Reaction score
I have a problem using tethering with XP SP2. I installed the hotfixes and when nothing worked, the additional "Custom Compiled RNDIS Driver Set" and I still cannot make this work. When I first connected my Huawei U8655-1 and turned on USB sharing I was promted to install a new hardware... selected "not this time" etc... but when I pointed to the tetherxp.inf I was notified "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". So, I had to click cancel, go to Device Manager -> Click on the yellow RNDIS -> Update Driver -> Not this time, I'll choose... -> Select "Network Adapter" as type -> Have Disk and point it to tetherxp.inf

This way the driver installed but I have a yellow exclamation mark on the network adapter markin it as "Device cannot start". Any ideas why I'm not able to start this? I tryed and retried with different tetherxp.inf files obtained from the net to no awail.View attachment 54490

By the way I installed PDANet 3.5 on both, my phone and on windows and I was able to connect to the internet using the phones internet connection on this same machine. Since then (yesterday) I uninstalled this software from both, the phone and from windows. Thought might be a conflict issue...

hy55droid

Reaction score
Ok, I created a small 5 GIG partition to install a secondary OS, WINDOWS XP SP3 on my drive which I did. Connected my phone etc... Now in Device Manager under Network Adapters the "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" adapter appears (WITHOUT the yellow mark saying the device cannot turn on...) once I turn on the "USB Sharing" on my phone. The problem is the internet on my desktop browser stops working. If the "USB Sharing" is turned off everything works fine, but once I turn USB Sharing on and the secondary network adapter (Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device) appears in the device manager the internet stops working and it will not work on my phone either.

Like, once the connection is established the PC "thinks" it should acquire the internet connection from the newly recognized network adapter. Please help me with this. I need to test mobile sites on my phone but my provider bandwidth rates are very expensive...

hy55droid

Reaction score
Still looking for the solution... In the meanwhile I found this page explaining tathering problems and how to solve it. What is not clear there to me though if the guy is describing how to share the PC's internet connection with the phone or vice versa (because I need to share my PC's connection with my phone...). I asked that there but my comment question was erased like I'm a stupid dumbass and I can't see it is clearly described there... :mad:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
You have misunderstood this article/thread. It does NOT allow you to share your PC's internet connection to your phone. It is (as the title states) about USB tethering which is using your phone basically as a modem to connect your PC to the internet. It WILL use up your phone's data.

If you want to view mobile sites on your phone I suggest you use WiFi on your phone as that will not use your data plan.

good luck

hy55droid

Reaction score
If "USB tethering" by itself means Phone to PC only then yes, I misunderstood... By the way, why all the fuss then when there is a free software called PDAnet which I already tried and it's working. Install hotfixes, upgrade to SP3, intall usb drivers. I don't have a wireless modem, otherwise I would not be here.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Why all the fuss? Because when this article was written, most folks (and the author, too) were using the Motorola A855 Droid 1 and all the custom roms for it have USB Tethering built in, no need for an additional program. I've used PDA net and it is a bit more clunky than the apps you can use when rooted.

I was afraid you were going to say you don't have a wireless modem.

good luck

hy55droid

Reaction score
Why all the fuss? Because when this article was written, most folks (and the author, too) were using the Motorola A855 Droid 1 and all the custom roms for it have USB Tethering built in, no need for an additional program. I've used PDA net and it is a bit more clunky than the apps you can use when rooted.

I was afraid you were going to say you don't have a wireless modem.

good luck

IC. Ok, looks like I'm going to request a wireless modem from my ISP. The one I have is a Huawei SmartAX MT882 which I got back in 2006 :p