Solution: Windows XP SP2 (and lower) problem with USB tethering

lostinthiswhirlpool

Reaction score
Arf! Thanks for the post!!
I have a PC with Windows XP SP3, but the USB tethering didn't work.

- I tried the official tetherxp.inf from Google, but didn't work.
- I can't try the hotfix 959765 from Microsoft cause the Microsoft site tells : "You have reached the maximum authorised number of..." (but I haven't downloaded no file at all here before!...), so I can't download the hotfix (I need the French hotfix, cause this is a French version of XP)
- I have installed the SP3 one more time (!), but it didn't work!...
- The last solution was the good one : to use the Custom Compiled RNDIS Driver Set : Thanks!!

Setup : Wndows XP Service Pack 3, phone Android 4.1.1

Last edited:

Epitaph

Reaction score
OK... I've tried tethering my Sony Xperia Tipo with my Asus Eee PC1001px WinXP SP2 (reinstalled from scratch), trying method 2 and 3, not to mention lots of other methods on lots of other pages, and I just can't get anything to work. No matter what driver I try, I just keep getting the infamous "code 10" message, and that's with the driver changing name about 50 times already!! I can't see any conflict anywhere, I've tried disabling my LAN and everything even in BIOS, but nothing wants to work.

The only thing I haven't tried is SP3... but I REALLY REALLY don't want to install that just for one stupid tethering problem!! I would rather use a 3rd party software app to tether them than resort to such drastic measures!!

Anyone have any other ideas, short of a huge mallet?

Epitaph

Reaction score
I would be oppen to a possible BT tethering... but my phone only lets me tether through USB or a WIFI hotspot... is there any android app that would allow me to tether through Bluetooth as it uses a lot less power? BT USB adapter are "a dime a dozen", but would Windows XP SP2 alow for an internet connection to establish via bluetooth?

Just thinking of alternatives to SP3 and other 3rd party programs in the case I never get the USB to work...

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Epitaph, :welcome: to the site.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with your device, so I don't know what you mean by Code 10 error, nor its infamy. It does sound to me like it could be a driver issue and not the issue discussed in this thread.

good luck

linuxnizer

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I only registered to say it :), one note the hotfix solution worked after I removed the Saumsung driver and then reinstalled it. Didn't use the inf file.

Cheers

Molat

Reaction score
Hey i have a problem i have an i9000 and Windows Xp Sp 2 and i instaled the thetther.xp and the Hotfix file everything is working i can tether the phone but i don't have internet on the PC and on phone i've tryed with Wi-fi there is no internet on PC and with Mobile Network and also no internet on the PC.. can some1 help

Tnx

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well you gave us the model number, but what make is your phone? I think its a Samsung, and Samsung drivers can be tricky. Are you sure you have the correct usb drivers installed on your pc?

Molat

Reaction score
Well you gave us the model number, but what make is your phone? I think its a Samsung, and Samsung drivers can be tricky. Are you sure you have the correct usb drivers installed on your pc?

View attachment 68333

Its Samsung i9000 and i think the drivers are corect also the phone is recognized you can see the photo i'v uploaded in the World Document its a Print Screen also there is a Locar Area Connection everything its okey, but when i click Google Chrome or Mozila its says that doesn't have internet i m very confused can you help me or suggest me something.. TY

Molat

Reaction score

I also tryed with PdaNet and it stops on the "verifying username and password" and nothing happens if you have any sugestion please share ...

TNX :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Try disabling your other network adapter. Failing that just go ahead and install Service pack 3 as I really don't know what else to tell you.

good luck

veera

Reaction score
Rndis code10 error

IN your way sony xperia m model mobile connection is possible or not. many time i will do your ideas, but not working in my system i fallow everything in your below ideas shown. at the moment of RNDIS run to installing, the other network connections like data card, wi-fi, broadband what to do, it was want to disconnect or not, tell that also.

Use a Custom Compiled RNDIS Driver Set:
Anthony2oo5 over at xda-developers.com was apparently working on this same problem quite some time back and compiled his own RNDIS drivers for XP from newer code (link1 link2). His drivers do work and do solve the problem, but depending upon what you've already done to your machine along the way, the procedure for implementing them must be followed precisely or it will not work. Also he has only created the rndismpx.sys and usb8023x.sys files and not the rndismp.sys and usb8023.sys files (which are normally the exact same size but have different contents when you do a binary compare). Whether or not having a "matched set" is important I do not know. For those who want to go this route, the procedure below should work for you -- it did for me (although ultimately I backed it out and went with KB959765 once I found it).

1. Download Remote_NDIS_based_Internet_Sharing_Device.zip from one of the links above and save to your XP machine.
  2. Unzip the files somewhere you can find them easily when you need them.
  3. Attach your phone to your computer. The “Add New Hardware” wizard will start and tell you it is going to help you find software for a “Motorola A855” (in the case of a Droid by Motorola).
  4. Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)”.
  5. On the “Installation Options” screen, choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.”
  6. In the “Hardware Type” dialog, it doesn’t really matter what you choose. If “Android Phone” or "Network Adapter" is in the list, then go ahead and choose it. Just to see if it mattered I chose “Batteries” and it still worked just fine. All you want is to get to a “Have Disk” button. Click Next after choosing the type.
  7. In the “Select a device driver you want to install for this hardware” dialog it should be telling you “(Unable to find any drivers for this device)”. Even if it is telling you it found one, don’t choose it. Just click “Have Disk”.
  8. In the “Install from Disk” dialog, click “Browse” and browse to the folder where you expanded the Remote_NDIS_based_Internet_Sharing_Device.zip file.
  9. Choose the “netrndis.inf” file and click “Open”.
  10. In the “Select a device driver you want to install for this hardware” dialog you should have a single choice – “Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device”. Ensure that is selected and click “Next”.
  11. You will be warned that the software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing. Click “Continue Anyway”.
  12. The “Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard” dialog should appear telling you that it has “finished installing the software for: Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device”. If it says it installed software for anything other than that you probably messed up a step. If it does say that, your tether is already active and your computer has probably already picked up an IP address by the time you have finished reading this step.
The above gives you version 6.0.6001.18000 of only rndismpx.sys and usb8023x.sys. I'm sure that version number was the version number of the build that the source was taken from when he compiled them.

That should do it. So much for keeping it brief. If anybody is struggling with this, and the above doesn't fix it - let me know. I did a lot of beating on this and may be able to help.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Newentry17

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Jiofi
This is the product of about 20 hours of accumulated testing and research but I'm going to do my best to keep it brief and leave out all the garbage you don't care about.

If you have Windows XP SP2 (or a lower service pack or no service pack) chances are good that the native USB tethering in Froyo isn't going to work for you (on that machine) without some help.

Initially the problem manifests itself as the XP machine asking for drivers when the Tether option is enabled on the connected phone. The answer to that has been documented (PDF archive) already -- use tetherxp.inf (alternate link) to tell XP how to use the driver files (that it already has) for the tether. The problem is - unless you've installed a device at some point whose drivers included an updated set of Remote NDIS (RNDIS) drivers, this will fail on XP SP2 and lower. It will appear to work up until the end of the driver installation whereupon the New Hardware Wizard will report "The device cannot start. (Code 10)".

The reason SP3 does not have this problem (unless something has overwritten the RNDIS drivers with old ones) is that the drivers that are built into SP3 are updated and support the functionality/device.

The 4 files involved are (note that the first two files start with the letter R followed by the letter N -- but with some fonts it looks like a lower case M):

rndismp.sys
rndismpx.sys
usb8023.sys
usb8023x.sys

Windows XP SP2 comes with version 5.1.2600.2180 of these files.

There are three primary ways to fix this -- which you choose depends upon your particular situation. Note that after each method I give you the version number of the files it will install. The version number doesn't really matter -- they all work -- I just give you the version number so you have a way to see if your system has the expected files (if you care).

"Upgrade" your XP to SP3:
I say "upgrade" because if I recall correctly Microsoft made a bunch of changes between SP2 and SP3 that caused many folks problems and were generally not well received. If you don't have an aversion to installing SP3 this should solve the problem and get you a bunch of other hotfixes in the process. If you have already done the tetherxp.inf process (above) and it failed with "device cannot start", you shouldn't have to do anything else after installing SP3 -- it should just work. I have not installed SP3 to test this so that is conjecture based upon my understanding of what's going on here and the other tests I've done.

The above gives you version 5.1.2600.5512 of the RNDIS files.

- OR -

Install Microsoft Hotfix KB959765:
This hotfix is intended to fix a problem that has nothing whatsoever to do with our problem other than that the RNDIS drivers are involved. I hunted high and low for a Microsoft hotfix that replaced only the RNDIS drivers (and nothing else), was compatible with XP SP2, and that contained drivers which were new enough to support the device. This alone took several hours and I was rewarded for my diligence. I wanted an official hotfix so people would have the comfort of it being something from Microsoft rather than just "here, put these files in". Unlike some hotfixes, you have to "request" this one by clicking on the "View and request hotfix downloads" link at the top of this page. You provide your email address and you have the hotfix in your inbox in less than a minute.

In case Microsoft ever stops giving it out, I have also uploaded the file to RapidShare. Since it is an EXE I would expect most folks will want to get it directly from MicroSoft so they can be assured of it's integrity. The file is digitally signed, so you can see that it is a genuine Microsoft file, but if you get it directly from them then there no doubt.

On both machines I installed this on a reboot was required (suggested) by the installer at the end. Also, I looked in the C:\windows\$NtUninstallKB959765$ directory and confirmed that the only files that are replaced are the 4 ".sys" files listed above. Can't get much more targeted than that.

If you've previously done the tetherxp.inf process (above) and it failed with "device cannot start", you shouldn't have to do anything else after installing this hotfix (other than reboot).

This option is the method I ultimately used (after backing out all of the other test methods that I used up to this point) to fix my laptop to be able to tether.

The above gives you version 5.1.2600.3483 of the RNDIS files.

- OR -

Use a Custom Compiled RNDIS Driver Set:
Anthony2oo5 over at xda-developers.com was apparently working on this same problem quite some time back and compiled his own RNDIS drivers for XP from newer code (link1 link2). His drivers do work and do solve the problem, but depending upon what you've already done to your machine along the way, the procedure for implementing them must be followed precisely or it will not work. Also he has only created the rndismpx.sys and usb8023x.sys files and not the rndismp.sys and usb8023.sys files (which are normally the exact same size but have different contents when you do a binary compare). Whether or not having a "matched set" is important I do not know. For those who want to go this route, the procedure below should work for you -- it did for me (although ultimately I backed it out and went with KB959765 once I found it).

1. Download Remote_NDIS_based_Internet_Sharing_Device.zip from one of the links above and save to your XP machine.
  2. Unzip the files somewhere you can find them easily when you need them.
  3. Attach your phone to your computer. The “Add New Hardware” wizard will start and tell you it is going to help you find software for a “Motorola A855” (in the case of a Droid by Motorola).
  4. Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)”.
  5. On the “Installation Options” screen, choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.”
  6. In the “Hardware Type” dialog, it doesn’t really matter what you choose. If “Android Phone” or "Network Adapter" is in the list, then go ahead and choose it. Just to see if it mattered I chose “Batteries” and it still worked just fine. All you want is to get to a “Have Disk” button. Click Next after choosing the type.
  7. In the “Select a device driver you want to install for this hardware” dialog it should be telling you “(Unable to find any drivers for this device)”. Even if it is telling you it found one, don’t choose it. Just click “Have Disk”.
  8. In the “Install from Disk” dialog, click “Browse” and browse to the folder where you expanded the Remote_NDIS_based_Internet_Sharing_Device.zip file.
  9. Choose the “netrndis.inf” file and click “Open”.
  10. In the “Select a device driver you want to install for this hardware” dialog you should have a single choice – “Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device”. Ensure that is selected and click “Next”.
  11. You will be warned that the software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing. Click “Continue Anyway”.
  12. The “Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard” dialog should appear telling you that it has “finished installing the software for: Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device”. If it says it installed software for anything other than that you probably messed up a step. If it does say that, your tether is already active and your computer has probably already picked up an IP address by the time you have finished reading this step.
The above gives you version 6.0.6001.18000 of only rndismpx.sys and usb8023x.sys. I'm sure that version number was the version number of the build that the source was taken from when he compiled them.

That should do it. So much for keeping it brief. If anybody is struggling with this, and the above doesn't fix it - let me know. I did a lot of beating on this and may be able to help.
Did as written above but in the end message is displayed.. could not start. Code 10.
What is this mean??

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Did as written above but in the end message is displayed.. could not start. Code 10.
What is this mean??

There's about three different methods in the OP. Why not tell us first which one you tried?