So how underpowered is the Nexus 5X

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nexus-5x_01.jpg

Motorola Moto X Style - Full phone specifications

Moto X Pure Edition

Nexus 5X officially announced: everything you need to know

Well after looking at the Moto X pure edition, minus 1 gb of ram, is it really that underpowered?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wouldn't say any of these devices available today or in the past 2 generations are necessarily underpowered. To the average consumer, the numbers mean nothing, they're just numbers. Only ones who get worked up about the specs really are us tech nerds :p

Ok the general consumer does care about two specs; storage and megapixels.

Honestly, I'm content with my s4 and even an "underpowered" Nexus 5X would be a significant upgrade over it. Phones like the Note 5 or even the Moto X would hold me over well over 2yrs, much like my current s4 has. I definitely have a few hiccups with my s4, but not enough to make want to upgrade immediately.

I was considering this phone as an upgrade, but I'll be passing on it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I wouldn't say any of these devices available today or in the past 2 generations are necessarily underpowered. To the average consumer, the numbers mean nothing, they're just numbers. Only ones who get worked up about the specs really are us tech nerds :p

Ok the general consumer does care about two specs; storage and megapixels.

Honestly, I'm content with my s4 and even an "underpowered" Nexus 5X would be a significant upgrade over it. Phones like the Note 5 or even the Moto X would hold me over well over 2yrs, much like my current s4 has. I definitely have a few hiccups with my s4, but not enough to make want to upgrade immediately.

I was considering this phone as an upgrade, but I'll be passing on it.

Seeing as how both of the new Nexi will be running stock Android I think they will be pretty fluid in the user experience arena.

I'm in the same boat as you with the S4 only mine happens to be the Note Edge. After seeing that Samsung didn't make a Note Edge 2, I think I will just ride out this Note Edge until next year. It has a beast camera, more than enough storage, and offers plenty with its baked in functionality for me to ride it out longer. I'm approaching a year now with it and it has been running very well.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Seeing as how both of the new Nexi will be running stock Android I think they will be pretty fluid in the user experience arena.

I'm in the same boat as you with the S4 only mine happens to be the Note Edge. After seeing that Samsung didn't make a Note Edge 2, I think I will just ride out this Note Edge until next year. It has a beast camera, more than enough storage, and offers plenty with its baked in functionality for me to ride it out longer. I'm approaching a year now with it and it has been running very well.

I have friends that love their Note Edge.. I'm disappointed the new edge doesn't have any of them features.. Although I have to give Sammy credit this version is much improved... Even my GF Note 4 although solid runs a little behind the new phone...

S6E+ tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have friends that love their Note Edge.. I'm disappointed the new edge doesn't have any of them features.. Although I have to give Sammy credit this version is much improved... Even my GF Note 4 although solid runs a little behind the new phone...

S6E+ tapatalk

The wife wants a new phone. She has been having bad luck with her Note 4 lately. So we are poking things with a stick to see which one she wants.

Sammy does a great job every year improving their phones. If you went by online critics alone you would think they were still in the stone ages. Year after year they push the boundaries with their tech progress which is replicated by very few. I would only place LG in the same league as them. The rest just putt putt along.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
The wife wants a new phone. She has been having bad luck with her Note 4 lately. So we are poking things with a stick to see which one she wants.

Sammy does a great job every year improving their phones. If you went by online critics alone you would think they were still in the stone ages. Year after year they push the boundaries with their tech progress which is replicated by very few. I would only place LG in the same league as them. The rest just putt putt along.

I agree.. Every model has brought improvements....it might not have same options but overall improved.. I keep telling the GF I get her a Note 5 but she's like you crazy.. This phone is not even a year... "I don't change phones like you".. We went shopping today she tells sales girl since we were talking phones.. Surprised!" he changes phones like underwear.. Lmao "...

S6E+ tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree.. Every model has brought improvements....it might not have same options but overall improved.. I keep telling the GF I get her a Note 5 but she's like you crazy.. This phone is not even a year... "I don't change phones like you".. We went shopping today she tells sales girl since we were talking phones.. Surprised!" he changes phones like underwear.. Lmao "...

S6E+ tapatalk
I hope you change your underwear more than once or twice a year. Haha! I hear ya though. Wife looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I was thinking about the Moto X Pure that I didn't end up getting.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I hope you change your underwear more than once or twice a year. Haha! I hear ya though. Wife looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I was thinking about the Moto X Pure that I didn't end up getting.
Haha.. Yes no worries I'm on a daily schedule.. Lol
We are crazy

S6E+ tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haha.. Yes no worries I'm on a daily schedule.. Lol
We are crazy

S6E+ tapatalk
We were talking the other day about how I only have 1 good pair of jeans anymore. She says, "You know, Christmas is coming."

I said, "You know how picky I am about my jeans. I wouldn't recommend anyone else buying them for me."

She says, "But if grandma gives you money like last year."

I said, "If she's that generous again this year, I'm getting that phone I didn't end up getting or another one. Definitely not jeans."

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
We were talking the other day about how I only have 1 good pair of jeans anymore. She says, "You know, Christmas is coming."

I said, "You know how picky I am about my jeans. I wouldn't recommend anyone else buying them for me."

She says, "But if grandma gives you money like last year."

I said, "If she's that generous again this year, I'm getting that phone I didn't end up getting or another one. Definitely not jeans."

Haha.. Spoken like a true tech man..

S6E+ tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use my phone WAY more often than I need to wear my good pair of jeans. I can only wear those on Fridays at work. Every other day of the week, I'm in slacks. Most of what I do on the weekends or after work is leisure stuff where it's acceptable to wear a pair of jeans with the knee blown out.

I can wait for jeans. I'm off and on my phone all dang day every day. ;)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The 5X has a smaller battery (than the Moto Pure), but only a 1080P screen. I wonder how well that Doze mode would work?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The 5X has a smaller battery (than the Moto Pure), but only a 1080P screen. I wonder how well that Doze mode would work?
Me too. Especially in your pocket. It uses sensors to know when you set it down, but mine is always in my pocket unless I'm lounging at home.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's my problem. My phone only sits on the charger at night and the rest of the time it is moving around in my pocket. It would be cool to have a toggle.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
If it sips like the M preview on my Nexus I think we gotz a winner.. Especially with screen 1080p

S6E+ tapatalk