Moto X Pure Edition Should Get Very Fast Updates Because of No Carrier Input

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-pure-edition-2015.JPG

There's an awesome advantage to the Moto X Pure Edition (the US version of the Moto X Style) that Motorola didn't really discuss in their unveiling yesterday. The Moto X Pure will not be subsidized by any of the US carriers. It will only be available for full retail, off contract at the Moto Maker website and other retailers (like Best Buy and Amazon).

The reason this is a great advantage is that the phone is likely going to get very fast Android updates because there are no carriers to interfere with or slow down the process. That basically makes this Moto X very much like a Nexus device.

There is a down-side to this, and that is that if no carriers offer the device subsidized, the only way you can purchase the device is at the full retail price. Of course, at a starting price of $399.99 it's $200 to $300 less than your typical flagship device off contract, which isn't too terrible. What do you folks think?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Excited by this, but as you pointed out, if no carrier offers a subsidized price, will enough people buy the device to warrant frequent updates. I for one am a buyer.

I loved the OG X and gave it to my mom, she is a fan as well.

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a bold move for them to cut out the carriers on their flagship device. Should be interesting. I'd like to get one myself and might eventually pull the trigger (maybe after the holidays) just to say thanks for keeping vzw out of the mix (and making a great device).

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Moto offers device financing for 12 or 24 months too directly from them so even though its not subsidized, you can set up a payment plan through them. 12 months is a great length imo.

Was about to make the same comment. I think it's 0% interest, as long as who pay on time.
They really need to stress that to the U.S. customers, as we are use to subsidizing our phones through the carrier.

tommyz

Reaction score
I really like the new phone... I've really come to like the OLED screen on my current phone. It worries me the new phone doesn't use an OLED. Also, I was hoping it would have a fingerprint reader, this would have allowed me to remove the PIN.

I will have to wait and see when the phone hits the wild, what people are saying.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
I really dig the idea of no carrier contracts and what not. Its great idea to keep the carriers out of the product & slowing down the update processes. As for purchasing its no concern to me as I've never bought under contract. i've always paid full retail anyways being at the end of the day it cheaper in the long run based on current carrier calling & data plans.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm in. Hope the camera is better. I'll buy my phone unsubsidized without any issues.