Smartphone Camera Reviews at DxOMark Share Some Surprising Top Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dxomark-smartphone-camera-best-of-list.jpeg

The camera and image quality experts at DxOMark have put several smartphones through the ringer to come up with their list of the best smartphone cameras, and the top scoring entries might surprise you. As you can see from the graph they created, the number one smartphone camera can be found on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. The second place victor (the LG G4) is a bit surprising, but the really shocking spot is the Motorola X Style in the number 4 position.

Who would have guessed that a Motorola device would make the top 5 list of best smartphone cameras? Moto must have really paid attention to customer complaints about camera image quality for older Motorola devices. Of course, we also see several Apple iPhones on this list, as well as a slew of Sony devices. It should come as no surprise that Sony dominates the field, considering several of the other phones on this list use Sony sensors.

Share your experiences with the cameras on these smartphones and let us know if you agree or disagree with their assessment.

Source: DxOMark

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I am assuming the S6 Edge and regular S6 have the same camera. Regardless, the camera on the S6 is pretty phenomenal. I have been able to grab some really awesome shots with it. It is one of the main reasons I want to stick with the phone, despite really wanting a phone with a larger screen.

Here's a few shots of my parents' dogs I shot that I think really show off how well the camera performs. Albeit, there is some editing done to them through Instagram, they still showcase the quality you can achieve with this shooter.

Attachments

• 11988315_10155970952560092_4337205083103985333_n.jpg
    11988315_10155970952560092_4337205083103985333_n.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 308
  • 11934935_10155970943000092_4285538609235348603_n.jpg
    11934935_10155970943000092_4285538609235348603_n.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 335

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Very cool, but I'm looking forward to really diving into that article (when I have more time) to see how they came up with these scores. While the G4 does take a decent photo, I find it hard to believe they took second place over the Note 4. Thanks for the article stormy!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
We look forward to your thoughts.. And I agree that note 4 is solid.. My GF takes some of the best pics... But now I have one up her.. Lol

S6E+ tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I am assuming the S6 Edge and regular S6 have the same camera. Regardless, the camera on the S6 is pretty phenomenal. I have been able to grab some really awesome shots with it. It is one of the main reasons I want to stick with the phone, despite really wanting a phone with a larger screen.

Here's a few shots of my parents' dogs I shot that I think really show off how well the camera performs. Albeit, there is some editing done to them through Instagram, they still showcase the quality you can achieve with this shooter.

I'm assuming the Note 5 as well.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am happy the Nexus 6 is not at the bottom of the list. I hate it that when I finally get a new phone, it ends up being last on some list, or not even showing up at all.

@xDMONEYx : those are some incredible shots. Wow.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I am happy the Nexus 6 is not at the bottom of the list. I hate it that when I finally get a new phone, it ends up being last on some list, or not even showing up at all.

Thanks! Naturally sunlit room and HDR make for great shots of your pets! Add in some Instagram tweaks and filters, and you have yourself some alright pictures for being produced from a cellphone! :D

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

I like my Nexus pics... sleeper

S6E+ tapatalk

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I like my Nexus pics... sleeper

S6E+ tapatalk

I've never really actually seen any shots taken by the Nexus 6. Put up a couple shots, let's see 'em!

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
If im not mistaken but the Nexus 6 has the Same Camera as the Droid Turbo and I was really Happy with the Pics on my Turbo. Loving my Note 5 though

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The Note 4, LG G4, and the Motorola X Style are all tied for second place according to that graph.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
While the camera in the G4 is very good, zooming into 100% on an image does not leave it as crisp as a Samsung. I am not as confident about printing an 8x10 with this phone as I was with my S5 or Note 4. Maybe I'll do a zoom in and show what I mean. I have an image for each camera that I use to demo the quality when I'm selling the phone at work.

Sent from my Verizon G4

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Bottom line nobody comes close to Samsung and Apple with camera.. We have some big improvements but if you want top notch them two are the bad boys to get..

S6E+ tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool that my old G2 was listed, even at the bottom. I went with a Note4 over a G3 because its camera was actually better on the G2, with my personal tests, than the G3. My tests were in bad light without flash on and speed to take the shot with the flash on. In great light I think just about any phone takes an acceptable shot and like Jackie said above I print my photos often so I want the best printable option in the worst conditions.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4