Smart Alarm is INCREDIBLE

currahee474

Reaction score
I had heard about this app a while ago, but I saw from the comments that it wasn't working on the droid. Well apparently a few days ago it got a new update and now works with the Moto Droid. What this app does is analyze your movements with the accelerometer, and figures out what sleep cycle you are in. Then, it wakes you up when you're in your lightest sleep mode. I tried it out today and it worked fantastic.

chart

Arachnyd

Reaction score
With the accellerometer? So, you have to sleep with your phone?

I love my droid, but....

mikes

Reaction score
C'mon. Admit it, this is just an excuse to sleep with your Droid.

OP
C

currahee474

Reaction score
Haha yes, I love my phone so much I sleep with it. I just shove it in under my pillowcase and even though I have a really soft bed and it seems to analyze very well.

The only other option to waking up in the correct sleep cycle is a Sleeptracker watch for $150. So free app vs. $150....hrmm...

pyro6128

Reaction score
gentle alarm does something similar without requiring you to sleep with it. Basically what it does is allow you to set another alarm at a much lower volume 30 minutes (or a little more if you like) before the actual alarm. As you move towards the end of your sleep, your sleep cycles become shorter, taking about an hour. So you move between light sleep and deep sleep about every 30 minutes. So if you hear the much quieter alarm and wake up to it, it means you were in light sleep and will wake up more refreshed. But if youre in deep sleep at this time, youre going to sleep through that light alarm anyway, and wake up when the actual alarm goes off 30 minutes later, at which point you would be in light sleep. The logic is getting up 30 minutes earlier than you planned, but in light sleep, will leave you more refreshed than waking up 30 min later, but being groggy from deep sleep. I use it, works well. The only thing is the free trial doesnt let you have an alarm on wednesdays, but you can use a regular alarm for one day out of the week if you dont want to pay. Thats what I do. Just sharing some info on alternatives

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You mean some of you DON'T sleep with your Droid? What's wrong with you?:)

bennyj

Reaction score
gentle alarm does something similar without requiring you to sleep with it. Basically what it does is allow you to set another alarm at a much lower volume 30 minutes (or a little more if you like) before the actual alarm. As you move towards the end of your sleep, your sleep cycles become shorter, taking about an hour. So you move between light sleep and deep sleep about every 30 minutes. So if you hear the much quieter alarm and wake up to it, it means you were in light sleep and will wake up more refreshed. But if youre in deep sleep at this time, youre going to sleep through that light alarm anyway, and wake up when the actual alarm goes off 30 minutes later, at which point you would be in light sleep. The logic is getting up 30 minutes earlier than you planned, but in light sleep, will leave you more refreshed than waking up 30 min later, but being groggy from deep sleep. I use it, works well. The only thing is the free trial doesnt let you have an alarm on wednesdays, but you can use a regular alarm for one day out of the week if you dont want to pay. Thats what I do. Just sharing some info on alternatives

So why then couldn't you just use the regular android alarm and set one to go off thirty mins earlier at a light volume and if you don't wake up to it, no big deal. Then set the other to go off normaly at your regular time? would this not achieve the same thing?

old no. 7

Reaction score
I'd be afraid to end up sleeping on my phone, idk about this lol
I've slept on it before... drunken nights of just finding a place to lay down and not care about the fact you're crushing your phone will show you how much it can really take... the Droid has done very well.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I have tried it a few times, and it just goes off at the time I picked. Sounded like an awesome idea, but I have yet to see it actually work.

-Mike

tu3218

Reaction score
I'd be afraid to end up sleeping on my phone, idk about this lol
I've slept on it before... drunken nights of just finding a place to lay down and not care about the fact you're crushing your phone will show you how much it can really take... the Droid has done very well.

haha yeah, i try to keep my droid in my pocket at all times when I'm at parties cause I tend to drop it at those times. And well, I couldn't bare to watch my droid hit the ground. Course I guess if I keep it in my pocket an go to sleep then chances are at some point ill be laying on it.

OyVOid

Reaction score
You mean some of you DON'T sleep with your Droid? What's wrong with you?:)

I second that!
I've been sleeping with mine since day one (2 months ago). We haven't had any fights about who takes the blankets yet. :heart: LOL!

pyro6128

Reaction score
to bennyj, from my understanding you would be correct. But gentle alarm allows for what appears to be unlimited alarm profiles. It also allows you to use music as the alarm (i know you can do this with the stock app as well). But whats cool is that it also allows you to adjust the volume of the alarms itself independent of the phones volume and the other alarms, which is a neat feature. It also allows you to fade the music in and set how long you want it to fade and to what volume and such. So again, I'm sure you could do this with the stock alarm, but gentle alarm provides you with some more features and customization. I guess you could also set an alarm like that for wednesdays with the stock app, then use gentle alarm for other days.

edit: haha ive slept with every phone i've owned except for the droid because I would want to answer texts, so the vibration would wake me up. But once I got the droid and the dock, I just put it there. Plus the volume is loud enough so that if i get a text thats important i'll hear it and just check