Smart Actions making two different location settings active at the same time??

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have two smart action settings...

One for Home Battery (home while not charging), and the other for Work Battery (work while not charging). The two actions are triggered by first GPS location, then by charging or not charging. Unfortunately they are both showing as active, and while the one at home specifies the GPS gets turned off, the one at work is specifying the GPS remains on. This is causing a conflict, however there's no reason I can see why this would be so, considering the GPS locations are some 20 miles apart.

I have WIFI and GPS on and yet they are both active. The Home Battery action shows "Conflict" where the GPS is set to turn off while at home on battery power.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Update: Today it was showing 3 actions all active at once...Home Battery, Work Battery, and Car Charging...

The three are as follows:
Home Battery triggers

Location (home)
Charging (Not Charging)

Work Battery Triggers

Location (work)
Charging (Not Charging)

Car Charging Triggers

Bluetooth Connection (UConnect - which is my car Bluetooth in-dash stereo system)
Charging (Any Source)

Now, the first obvious question is how can it see me in two places 11 miles apart at once? But if that's not enough, how does it see my car's Bluetooth adapter connected when my car is 4 blocks away, completely powered off? Finally, how can it believe I am on battery power in two of the actions, but thinks I'm charging on another one (and no, there's no cable plugged in at the moment)?

Any help? :blink:

Last edited:
OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
bump;)

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
bump???

lowboydrvr

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the "Location" trigger is actually based on WiFi (not GPS). You could try (at least for the home battery) to set the location to your home network using the trigger "Wifi Connection" (instead of "Location"). My phone was getting confused with locations and I then created 2 actions (one for my home network, and one for my parents' home network) and it seems to be pretty stable now. If your work doesn't have WiFi, you could try using the "Timeframe" trigger (assuming you work the same time period each day you are at work). This trigger works for me because you can also specify which days for the action to occur (I work a 4 x 10 schedule with Wednesday's off). Just a couple of suggestions.

To keep your car action from accidentally firing, you could make sure that your Bluetooth is turned off on both your home action and your work action. Or just create a new action with the trigger "bluetooth Connection". This trigger can be set to a specific bluetooth connection (for example, I have a Ford, and the trigger is activated whey my phone connects to my SYNC system).

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I thought I read somewhere that the "Location" trigger is actually based on WiFi (not GPS). You could try (at least for the home battery) to set the location to your home network using the trigger "Wifi Connection" (instead of "Location"). My phone was getting confused with locations and I then created 2 actions (one for my home network, and one for my parents' home network) and it seems to be pretty stable now. If your work doesn't have WiFi, you could try using the "Timeframe" trigger (assuming you work the same time period each day you are at work). This trigger works for me because you can also specify which days for the action to occur (I work a 4 x 10 schedule with Wednesday's off). Just a couple of suggestions.

To keep your car action from accidentally firing, you could make sure that your Bluetooth is turned off on both your home action and your work action. Or just create a new action with the trigger "bluetooth Connection". This trigger can be set to a specific bluetooth connection (for example, I have a Ford, and the trigger is activated whey my phone connects to my SYNC system).

Good suggestions. Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Wifi connection at home could never trigger anywhere outside the range so GPS is unnecessary. For the Bluetooth, my car has "Uconnect", and it does have it's own profile. I am still tyring to figure pot how that triggered when my car was not running and my office it's 3 blocks away.

Thanks for the tips!

Now I just have to figure out how to overcome another problem I have. My wifi is weak in the bedroom so if I leave it on, it fades in and out causing me to lose data connection repeatedly. If I turn off wifi, 3g works fine but then Smart Actions gets upset. There must be a solution to this dilemma. I used a third party program on my D2, think it was automateit, and it used GPS for location and didn't require wifi to be active for triggers. It also allowed you to focus GPS location to very small radius so I could actually tell it to turn on wifi when in the other parts of the house where signal was strong, but cut it off on the bedroom so I had uninterrupted 3G. Maybe I'll use automateit as a piggyback to turn off wifi in the bedroom and back on everywhere else, and leave Smart Actions running as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Accidental double post. Sorry, no way to delete.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Good suggestions. Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Wifi connection at home could never trigger anywhere outside the range so GPS is unnecessary. For the Bluetooth, my car has "Uconnect", and it does have it's own profile. I am still tyring to figure out how that triggered when my car was not running and my office it's 3 blocks away.

Thanks for the tips!

Update, I used your suggestion of WIFI as the trigger for both home and work, and Bluetooth for the car, and they work perfectly. I also moved my wireless router in the home to a more central location and now have coverage in the bedroom, so that problem is solved too! I am loving Smart Actions even more now.

You really have to think carefully about what triggers you do use and what ones you shouldn't, to prevent conflicts and false triggers. Same holds true about the actions you specify. The best advice I can give to all of you is to use as few triggers as possible, use the most unique trigger for each location, and where possible use WIFI as the trigger rather than GPS and try to keep GPS and Bluetooth off if possible. Also, with WIFI enabled and a WIFI connection available, turn off cellular data to reduce battery consumption, since the WIFI supplies the data.

Remember, if you are on charge, you don't need to be concerned about power consumption, but the moment you disconnect from power, all power saving actions should be used wherever possible. Also, whether you are connected to power or not is a great trigger, either alone or in combination with a location trigger like WIFI network name.

Again, sometimes we overlook the obvious.

Last edited: