Slow YouTube?

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
Any else have problems watching YouTube high definition on 4g? It takes about a minute for the video to load and then buffers continuously. Im getting 28up and 15 down on speed test so I don't think its my connection. Netflix works fine on 4g also.Thanks for any suggestions!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nope, mine is smooth.

You can try clearing the cache/data on the youtube app, might help.

OP
CrimsonTide55

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that my ping time is always over 100ms. Usually in the 120-140 range. Could this be the problem and if so is it correctable? Thanks a lot!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My ping is usually in the 50s-70s, so yours is pretty high. The higher the ping the worse and this could be due to your problems with youtube. Ping is the amount of time it takes for a signal to reach a server and back after all, so the higher the worse.

OP
CrimsonTide55

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
I think I figured out why my ping time was so high which I believe was causing the buffering. I turned on Google's location services and since then my ping time has always been 80 or less. Before it was always over 100. Not sure if turning the location setting on helped this or not but it sure seems like it

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think I figured out why my ping time was so high which I believe was causing the buffering. I turned on Google's location services and since then my ping time has always been 80 or less. Before it was always over 100. Not sure if turning the location setting on helped this or not but it sure seems like it

Interesting find. Well you managed to solve it and there may be a correlation between the two. Maybe I'll try to see if there is in a bit, will report back!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So ran it through speed test 3 times each.
With google location service on I got pings of : 47, 56, 62.
With google location service off I got pings of : 40, 54, 37.

As you can see I had better scores with the location service off so I don't know.

OP
CrimsonTide55

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
Maybe that wasn't the cause. I'm just glad I'm getting better ping times. I'll monitor over the next few days and report any trends that may occur.